Bulldog Alternatives

vrmode

Aug 28, 2020
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi everybody,

I don't know if I am in the right place for this, since it is a pure English Bulldog forum, but I 'll try.

I live in Greece, owner of a French Bulldog and an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier. My Frenchie is the third one now (all from serious breeders) - I love these creatures and I love bulldogs, but I wanna search if there is serious possibility of healthier bulldog types. I am reading about Olde English Bulldogs, Old English, Continental, Victorian etc. but I am confused.

Does anyone have experience or did some research on this?

I don't care about shows, my one and only concern is a healthy and athletic bulldog.

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
If you are looking for a healthier and more athletic bulldog breed, the olde English Bulldog is your best bet. They are bred to have a more proportioned body to minimize joint issues, and help with athleticism. They also have a longer snout so they are not prone to breathing problems like those with English and French Bulldogs.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm not sure if they've reached Greece yet.. the Amitola English Bulldog line is bred from pure English Bulldogs using selective breeding for healthier features - longer nose, smaller chest, wider hips. You get the temperament of the English Bulldog in a healthier body.

My dog Angus is an Amitola.
angus.JPG

Attachments

• angus_10.jpg
    angus_10.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 327
OP
V

vrmode

Aug 28, 2020
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you [MENTION=19788]KrysA724[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]

There are no Amitolas in Greece, nor Olde's or any other alternative type. We have only the standard English Bulldog in Greece (god bless FCI), so I will look in Europe anyway for a breeder when I choose the Bulldog type.

At the moment I m trying to find out the differences and Pros and Cons of each type. :unsure:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have a standard English Bulldog who just happens to have quite the athletic build and no health issues at this time and he is 3 years old. If you go with a reputable breeder that does health testing and is breeding to better the breed and not just for money, you should get a "healthy" dog. Not saying issues can't happen but that goes with any breed.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
The true charm of a Bulldog(English Bulldog) is in its...charm. Itā€™s not to be duplicated by any other breed. No two Bulldogs are alike but they all share something unique to the breed. After 1000+ rescues and 15 of my own I still canā€™t put my finger on what that ā€œsomethingā€ is...but it is something.
Why settle for something that is less than the original?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have Jake an EB n Nyala my brindle is a Bantam Bulldogge. Theyā€™ve been around since 1800 which are hard to find but theyā€™re there. It was a fluke I find her. I will have to admit there is NO breathing issues like the EB, their nose a just a tad longer, smaller face n crown. Nyalaā€™s going to be 5 in a few weeks n knock on wood, zero issues! Like [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] mentioned, EB has that ā€œsomethingā€ we canā€™t put our finger on but I will to admit, Nyala does have that ā€œsomethingā€. I had a previous EB n to date, I personally find I donā€™t see any difference. Hereā€™s a couple photos for nose size n body size. Now some bantams are a bit tall than original size like Nyala.... At the end of the day, so long they are happy n healthy dogs. Thatā€™s all we want...

A890BC31-02E1-4507-A476-ACF03FE08605.jpegCD87BA1A-3791-4C67-B27B-87C7B7F8CFA6.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JesPXY6PFTA

OP
V

vrmode

Aug 28, 2020
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I agree on the unique charm of the bulldogs in general - I adore and own frenchies the last 16 years. Because I love them, I wish they could function as they did when they appeared. Fact is that no standard bulldog can live as normal proportioned dogs - even if they are coming from a top breeder, once they follow the FCI and showdog standards. Ī™ used to run to shows with great judgements with my my two last FBs, but the last years I changed perspective.

I see you have a lot of alternative types and when searching, they appear only in the US. :(
Do you know if there is a club or something for all these types or does any breeder go its own way?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree on the unique charm of the bulldogs in general - I adore and own frenchies the last 16 years. Because I love them, I wish they could function as they did when they appeared. Fact is that no standard bulldog can live as normal proportioned dogs - even if they are coming from a top breeder, once they follow the FCI and showdog standards. Ī™ used to run to shows with great judgements with my my two last FBs, but the last years I changed perspective.

I see you have a lot of alternative types and when searching, they appear only in the US. :(
Do you know if there is a club or something for all these types or does any breeder go its own way?

Victorian bulldog is a great alternative... looks Nd personality are similar, they are taller and have longer snout

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.