Vet check

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
Hi all I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post in but I'm going to pick a puppy up on Thursday and I have already told the breeder that I'm going to be bringing some form of a contract that when I get the pup vet checked if the pup has any health issues I will be returning the pup for a refund and they have agreed but I'm unsure what to write and obviously I need them to sign it but what wording should I use? Any help in this matter would be brilliant. Thank you

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Normally the breeder would provide a contract...are they not? Contracts I have signed state you have to get a vet check within 72 hours, thereā€™s usually a 1 or 2 year health guarantee and if for any reason you canā€™t keep the dog, you have to call them first as usually they will take the dog back and rehome. There would also be something about neutering or spaying if itā€™s a pet dog and if you have any breeding rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Here the breeder provides that contract - here I think it is a standard doc issued by the Swedish kennel club. I suggest you check if there is a British equivalent and what regulations/recommendations apply. The breeder should know these things.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Agree with above. Itā€™s the breeder that gives you a contract.

OP
S

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
This is the first and only litter they are doing and I think it's as new to them as me. They have a printed not from the vets saying pups are all healthy it's just for my piece of mind. I will just write what I think should be on it and obviously both me and the breeder will sign it. They are totally fine about it and said I was the only one that asked for anything like this. I probably wouldn't of bothered if I was getting one of her bigger pups it's just with this pup being smaller. Thanks all for the replies.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
This is the first and only litter they are doing and I think it's as new to them as me. They have a printed not from the vets saying pups are all healthy it's just for my piece of mind. I will just write what I think should be on it and obviously both me and the breeder will sign it. They are totally fine about it and said I was the only one that asked for anything like this. I probably wouldn't of bothered if I was getting one of her bigger pups it's just with this pup being smaller. Thanks all for the replies.

Contracts, letters or vet approvals has nothing to do with the size of the pup. If youā€™re still having from what Iā€™m reading doubts about the size of your pup, buy elsewhere or a reputable breeder which will offer you a legal contract. Up to you. :)

OP
S

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
I have heard of ailments with pups being the runt so just trying to cover all bases:whew:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If this is the first and only litter and they aren't preparing a contract themselves, I would be a little weary of getting a pup from them. Has the dam and sire both been health tested? Did they just decide to breed any female and male to get puppies? Are they purebred? An unhealthy puppy will end up costing you way more down the road than just the purchase price.

OP
S

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
If this is the first and only litter and they aren't preparing a contract themselves, I would be a little weary of getting a pup from them. Has the dam and sire both been health tested? Did they just decide to breed any female and male to get puppies? Are they purebred? An unhealthy puppy will end up costing you way more down the road than just the purchase price.

Both parents are Kc registered and its there only litter because of complications during birth the mother had to have a cesarean which I understand is common but for what ever reason they decided to have her spayed at the same time.
Also no one can say how healthy a dog can be in years to come. Just looking at some of the health problems being mentioned on this forum proves that. I have seen the mother and pictures of the father and papers which would suggest they are pure bred. The only thing I am not so sure about is the breeders experience and for this reason I'm asking for advice on here rather than the breeder. Thanks

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Just to throw this out there with regards runts. We were given the runt of a litter once. Our American Bulldog, Sadie. She grew into gorgeous girl and without a doubt, the smartest dog we have ever had. She was healthy until she developed epilepsy about 18 months before she died at age 12.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Good that the parents are KC registered - I still think you should check with the UK kennel club for a standard contract. If you and the breeder are both inexperienced, you might need help to put the right details into the contract. Our contract helped us get what was at that time a standard-level refund when one of our boy's testicles didn't drop, but it didn't cover the breathing issue that forced Castor to go through surgery at 18 months. Now, he's a strong healthy boy, but small (smallest of the litter, we think), and although parents are KC registered and have hade good show resultat, you never know.

On another note, although I think (standard) contracts are good, you need to consider why you want it. Will you be willing to return your pup if it turns out to have some issue? What will then happen to that pup? As such contracts are standard procedure here, we didn't think about it, but we would not have returned a pup we had welcomed into our family.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.