Can anyone help with question about nipples........yes nipples.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
My mom posted this under "blogs" but I wanted to repost it under the forum. I've copied and pasted her blog.
I am new to this site and I hope some one can help me out a little. I have a pregnant bully, she is about day 33 and her nipples are dry and cracked, even a little drainage around the outside. I took her to the vet and he said put bag baum on them (started out with one nipple and then when I was at the vet it was two nipples... now three) he said if that didn't work try A&D ointment so today I started with the A&D. It also is very itchy to her. If it doesn't get better I will have to take her back to the vet. But was hoping maybe someone out there has had this problem with their female and can tell me not to worry so much...LOL Thank you, mom2bullies

Last edited:

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Did the vet state what the drainage was? Colostrum or infection?

Also, I am going to move this to the breeder's area, since it is a breeder question. :)

Last edited:

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
The vet did not say .... it is brownish in color.... But if the vet had thought it may be infection, I am sure he would have given me something more to put on it other then telling me to use a shampoo that he gave me and A&D or bag balm.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
I have spoken to a couple of breeders who think it could be mastitis. If the discharge is brownish in color, this only confirms the thoughts.

Amoxicillin I believe is safe for pregnant bullies too, I would not let this go for too long and perhaps get a 2nd opinion. If it is infection, it could easily harm the babies. Is she confirmed pregnant at this point? I definately would not let this go, and I will also share on fb with other breeders to find out more thoughts. Hopefully we can get some more thoughts/opinions that way.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
I checked my female tonight and her nipples are better. soft...and no dry discharge around the nipple. there is still a fine red rash around the nipples and on her tummy. but it looks better. I washed with the shampoo that the vet gave me, rinsed and dried... then A&D all over even her belly, where ever there is rash... I hope it is getting better ...if not by this weekend we will go back to the vet. Let you all know.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Please do. I worry. :eek:

Lanisoh (I am not sure how it's spelled- but my wife used it) would probably help too.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
I took Cadence back to the vet today. I had stopped using the shampoo that the vet had given me as it was not helping. I was just putting on the A&D on her nipples, but the red rash was getting worse. Anyway, took her back today and the vet says she has staff infection.... so I keep with the A&D and now she has these big "HORSE" pills to take for the next 10 days. They told me that it will not hurt the puppies at all (the forming of them). The vet said if it was his pregnant dog he would give it to her, and that they have given it to woman when they were pregnant. So I hope this takes care of it.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I took Cadence back to the vet today. I had stopped using the shampoo that the vet had given me as it was not helping. I was just putting on the A&D on her nipples, but the red rash was getting worse. Anyway, took her back today and the vet says she has staff infection.... so I keep with the A&D and now she has these big "HORSE" pills to take for the next 10 days. They told me that it will not hurt the puppies at all (the forming of them). The vet said if it was his pregnant dog he would give it to her, and that they have given it to woman when they were pregnant. So I hope this takes care of it.

What is the name of the med? I guess I could just call you........let me know.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.