Trinibulldog

Sep 1, 2018
Country
Trinidad
Bulldog(s) Names
Nala
Good day everyone. I'm new to the forum. Looking for your experienced comments on an issue.
My girl has recently had a litter of 7 pups c-section. 1 died at the hospital and 2 at home. The issue im having is that in the early stages my dog tried to attack the pups our first few hours at home, so i decided to feed the pup myself. However the vet toldme to hold her down to feed the pups which was a challenge all by itself. 5 days later now the second feeding i attempted with her was less stressful and i realize that she is showing signs that she wants to be with the pups. mainly sleeping by the door to come inside and smelling around the house with a different tone of growl (she was growling very aggressively at them in the early days). i hold down her mouth while i let her smell them, but i dont knw if to trust her at this point.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm going to tag members w/more experience than myself... we only had one litter, and Bella reacted much differently.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Did she go in to labour before the op or did you just select a date for the C-section? Are you alone with them? In any case you can not trust her alone with the puppys and you need help. You need to get the puppys sucking on mom and take care that she behaves. This means 24/7 supervision for the quite a long time.

OP
T

Trinibulldog

Sep 1, 2018
Country
Trinidad
Bulldog(s) Names
Nala
She did go into labour. I bring her at least once a day to feed the pups now but i bottle feed them generally. I dont mind fully bottle feeding the pups at this stage once it is healthy enough.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She should not be aggressive to the pups, I have had one that didn't want anything to do with them at first, but we would make her lay down to feed them and finally she would let them feed on her own. It is too late now, but it is very important to let them feed the first few days to get the
colostrum from her to help build their immune system. If she is that aggressive toward pups, I would not breed her again, she should not be that way.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online