Artificial Insemination

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
This is a serious question...what do you breeders do in the process? If you have a stud, do you list him, his show record, his attributes of temperament, confirmation, photos, etc. on a bull dog registry. If the bitch's owner likes your stud, do the negotiations begin sort of like Match.com/Sperm.com Do they order like ummm a double grande of Big Boy's sperm? Is the sperm shipped frozen to the bitch's breeder or vet? Are there any guarantees? I might think of more questions...

Thank you in advance

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Interesting! really! my question is, do they ever have success in natural breeding? I know we've had natural births here in our group, but wonder if any of the breeding actually happens between the two...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
All the breeders including myself do not list our studs. People in the business know our studs from shows and from campaigning them. If you have a champion or grand champion stud, people will contact you and want your stud. We charge a stud fee and some people do things different when it comes down to a guarantee. Some say one pup is a litter and some say two pups are a litter. So if you have either one or just two pups then you will get another breeding free, except for shipping and vet cost. Some may even want first pick or refusal of the litter also. We screen the people wanting to breed with our studs and check the bitches pedigree to make sure it is a good match, it is our kennel name out there and we do not want it to be with just any bitch or breeder. Most of the time we already know the person wanting to breed with our stud in the first place and that makes things better. As far as fresh, chilled or frozen, fresh is always better, but sometimes the bitch lives too far away, so we will do chilled. That is the second best. We try to stay away from frozen because the chances of the bitch becoming pregnant is lower with frozen. The buyer pays for the collect fee if you use a vet, and shipping on top of your stud fee. [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] as far as your question, we never do a natural breeding. The male can get too hot and it is not good on them. Some people may do this, just like some will natural whelp pups too, but we never will.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
All the breeders including myself do not list our studs. People in the business know our studs from shows and from campaigning them. If you have a champion or grand champion stud, people will contact you and want your stud. We charge a stud fee and some people do things different when it comes down to a guarantee. Some say one pup is a litter and some say two pups are a litter. So if you have either one or just two pups then you will get another breeding free, except for shipping and vet cost. Some may even want first pick or refusal of the litter also. We screen the people wanting to breed with our studs and check the bitches pedigree to make sure it is a good match, it is our kennel name out there and we do not want it to be with just any bitch or breeder. Most of the time we already know the person wanting to breed with our stud in the first place and that makes things better. As far as fresh, chilled or frozen, fresh is always better, but sometimes the bitch lives too far away, so we will do chilled. That is the second best. We try to stay away from frozen because the chances of the bitch becoming pregnant is lower with frozen. The buyer pays for the collect fee if you use a vet, and shipping on top of your stud fee. [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] as far as your question, we never do a natural breeding. The male can get too hot and it is not good on them. Some people may do this, just like some will natural whelp pups too, but we never will.

David thank you so much for the comprehensive reply. I was never the kind of kid in school who could ask a teacher "how do you get the answer?" And be satisfied with a "just follow what I do" or whatever. I always needed to know the "process and the whys" of questions i.e. How you explained the fresh vs chilled vs frozen sperm and the whys of choosing a particular method.

I did end up teaching for 11 years and then almost 20years as an administrator. That was thanks to those educators who took the time care and interest to share the why's of things to me. You are an educator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We didn't stud out our bulldog unless we knew them personally-- and we got many offers but I just couldn't get any bulldog pregnant when I knew the adults didn't have a clue to what they were doing.

We always did fresh, we tried frozen shipped to us once and it didn't work. Fresh is obviously better and if you know the ovulation and have the tools (microscope for examining vaginal cells) the litter will be just about 99.9% guaranteed. It took a lot of experience, reading, and luckily we knew good breeders who helped us learn, [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] being one of those!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Breeding takes time to learn. We bred and showed Arabians for 25 years. The many years of learning in the beginning of having horses helped to shorten the learning process for Bulldogs. But it STILL took time and research. Sadly as in horses and almost every type of breeding, many (most) breeders are NOT willing to help teach or share with others. Why? I think it is because those other breeders are afraid of competition? Or fear of ridicule about what they do or how they do something?

I am delighted that there are breeders who ARE willing to help and share. Several others listed here have given some basic information. Thank you.

As breeders, my wife and I are ALWAYS willing to help educate, share and teach others who are interested. Many times after spending an hour on the phone with someone who has a female that "is interested in breeding maybe once or twice so the children can experience the birth process and have puppies", decide NOT to pursue breeding. I don't try and STOP anyone from becoming a breeder, but being honest about the time, REAL COSTS and the VERY REAL POSSIBILITY OF THE BITCH DYING. Sadly, we have had two die at 58 days from "canine maternal hydrops". And surprisingly how many breeders and vets are not even aware of this issue. We've learned and understand how to prevent it.

So beyond find the stud, price, contract, fresh or chilled, Ai, TCI or SAi just to start the process. When to bred? Post LH? Preg check blood test or US? X-rays? de-worming, feeding, do you have a temperature controlled, humidity controlled with Oxygen? gram scale? Ready to tube feed? Supplies.

Well, quality breeders are actually HELPING to improve the breed and keep Bulldogs OUT of rescue and shelters.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.