Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 38

Thread: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

  1. #1
    Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    84
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)
    161

    Default Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    A week ago I thought I knew what was the better option for my girl. Now, after feeling the guilt- I'm unsure!
    Diamond is a healthy 23 month old English Bulldog. She was vet checked and cleared to breed. Her 2 year old stud Benny had been checked and cleared as well. This would be both of their first babies and us owners couldn't be more excited! I chose her stud carefully knowing that the betterment of the breed was on the top of my goal list. Benny is a smaller guy which is one of the reasons we chose him- knowing we would attempt a free whelp. I always thought that breeding a breed that required a cesarean section wasn't IMO what was best for Mom. Here's my story....

    Diamond and Benny met on January 18th where the first AI was done with fresh semen. It was repeated again on January 19th. It was day 18-19 of Diamonds heat. I knew my girl and she has very long heats so the standard insemination at day 11-13 and 15 was too early. I was right, on day 50 8 little skulls and spines were seen via x ray. Pregnancy had been confirmed on day 30 via blood test and ultrasound. 8!!! Wow!!! I had done my research, I have bred the breed before. We had all successful free whelps. I thought I was doing my part for the breed. No surgery!! Diamond had a very healthy uneventful pregnancy. I took her to see her vet often just to double and triple check. I had people lined up wanting one of my bullies who already had one from years before. All was well. Her due date came and went so I took her in to check on everyone- all was good, healthy heartbeats, growing pups and heads that would safely fit in the birth canal. I tracked her temperature 3 times a day and on day 65, the drop happened. First stage of labor was a walk in the park for my strong girl. She began pushing and easily out came our first little girl kicking and screaming. The second and third followed. My girl was a champ! 3 big bully babies in less than two hours. And then things took a turn. She pushed hard for an hour and 20 minutes with no pup. I called the vet- they said to give her at least another hour before I should be concerned. No sooner than I hung up I saw she had a baby in the canal. Two hard pushes and out came a big, still girl. Her tongue was white, her placenta was black. I could see some tissue around her mouth had started to break down. I tried anyways. I gave CPR for an hour while delivering a healthy baby girl runt that Diamond pushed out in one push- alive and screaming!! I decided there was nothing more I could do for the baby born still so we wrapped her in a blanket and put her in a box. The next big boy was born (I lost time). He was gasping and his tongue was turning white. I gave CPR for an hour and a half until my husband said- Diamond isn't doing well. We loaded everyone up and headed to the vet. I continued CPR on the pup and there was a heartbeat when we got to the vet. Sadly, he passed minutes after getting there. A c section was immediately decided because Diamond was now leaking green discharge. We waited for the news- another big boy had passed and we had another LIVE little girl. I don't know what went wrong, neither does the vet. I don't know if the three pups died from being overdue, I don't know if the combination of a large litter and hard labor at the end were to blame. I do know that if I would have had a planned c section on my girl- we'd likely have 8 healthy babies. I am blessed beyond words to have the 5 beautiful babies I stare at every chance I get. I thought I was doing what was best for my girl and not forcing surgery. Money was never a factor in any of my decisions, just Diamonds well being. She can free whelp, but should I have allowed her to? Probably not

  2. #2
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,638
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1671

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    So sorry to hear! You had great intentions and sometimes things don't always work out as planned. I rescued a french bully who in her former life was a backyard breeder and she had multiple breedings and no c section scar It's great you have 5 healthy babies and your Diamond is still alive !!!

  3. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  4. #3
    Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    84
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)
    161

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    So sorry to hear! You had great intentions and sometimes things don't always work out as planned. I rescued a french bully who in her former life was a backyard breeder and she had multiple breedings and no c section scar It's great you have 5 healthy babies and your Diamond is still alive !!!
    Thank you ❤️️ Gosh, that makes me angry that people can be so cruel!! She's got your love now so she is blessed ❤️️

  5. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
  6. #4
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,638
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1671

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    Thank you ! That was with my Frenchie, When I was looking for a retired English bulldog breeder I checked a Kijiji ad and I visited a male and female pair caged full time in a shed at one backyard breeder. When the breeder brought them out they slunk low to the ground very submissively and ran back into their cages, because that was all they knew. I already had the Frenchie bulldog so I didn't rescue them as they wanted a fair bit of money and they weren't housebroken, and being 5 yr old dogs and me working full time I didn't have the time to start house training them. I felt so bad, I did keep an eye on the ad and I saw they eventually got rescued.

  7. #5
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,638
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1671

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    They just rescued some dogs that were bred in a farm in Korea to be eaten. 57 dogs rescued from dog meat farm in South Korea, in pictures - Telegraph
    Apparently they eat 2.5 million dogs a year in South Korea.
    -korea-dog-rescue-c_3241218k-jpg

  8. #6
    Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    84
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)
    161

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    They just rescued some dogs that were bred in a farm in Korea to be eaten. 57 dogs rescued from dog meat farm in South Korea, in pictures - Telegraph
    Apparently they eat 2.5 million dogs a year in South Korea.
    -korea-dog-rescue-c_3241218k-jpg
    I just don't get it!! Diamond is my daughter!! My 3 sons even question if I like her more at times lol. It's a crazy world we're living in!!

  9. Likes 2BullyMama, BullyBoston liked this post
  10. #7
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,581
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
    Likes (Received)
    3388

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    Guilt must be in our human dna as we flog ourselves with it every chance we get.

    You sound extremely researched & educated in these matters, you did due diligence
    all the way thru this pregnancy & delivery.

    I'm heartbroken for you and so saddened that you lost these pups and Diamond was
    in danger too. What a terrible ordeal & such a shame to have happened to good people
    trying to do everything right by their bully mama & her babies. I certainly will pray for
    God to give peace, comfort & help you forgive yourself and for those beautiful babies &
    Diamond to grow ever stronger & remain healthy with long, happy lives.

    How is Diamond & babies doing?...when you are up to it, please share their pics with us.

    Sending big, big hugs from Texas to you & them, XOXOXO


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  11. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
  12. #8
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    4,343
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    3691

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    bless your heart and I guess I too would 'second' guess my decision if things didn't turn out just perfectly . I had my Shih Tzu bred just once (way too stressful) {and I was younger!} . It was lovely experience, but so scary. (I kept one, she became my beloved service dog for 6 years! the dear was born into my hands and the bond was set, she knew me like no other) Anyway, point is, I also should have had a scheduled C-section as they have those smushy faces as well... I'm "ms" nature, and so just figured that all would be well....thank the heavens it was or I would have kicked my self to China I suppose. *** It's just what we do!! guilt ourselves *** I studied for a year before deciding to do it, but just as easy, things could have gone south... You did what you were sure was best I felt bad that she ended up with the surgery anyway, but now that you are dealing with that, It seems that it's not effecting her so bad soooooooooooooooo, mabie lesson learned and go on from here. Has to hurt, no denying that, but it is a no fault situation... I hope you can lift them up, and in time just purely enjoy the rest.... I'm sure even with a c this often happens, you were just protecting your mama.. You did great!!

  13. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  14. #9
    Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    84
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)
    161

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Guilt must be in our human dna as we flog ourselves with it every chance we get.

    You sound extremely researched & educated in these matters, you did due diligence
    all the way thru this pregnancy & delivery.

    I'm heartbroken for you and so saddened that you lost these pups and Diamond was
    in danger too. What a terrible ordeal & such a shame to have happened to good people
    trying to do everything right by their bully mama & her babies. I certainly will pray for
    God to give peace, comfort & help you forgive yourself and for those beautiful babies &
    Diamond to grow ever stronger & remain healthy with long, happy lives.

    How is Diamond & babies doing?...when you are up to it, please share their pics with us.

    Sending big, big hugs from Texas to you & them, XOXOXO
    Thank you- from the bottom of my heart!! Diamond is great and the babies are great too!! Here's some pics. Thank you again!!!!! -img_0639-jpg-img_0626-jpg-img_0617-jpg-img_0621-jpg-img_0634-jpg

  15. Likes sisters3, Lalaloopsie, BullyBoston liked this post
  16. #10
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    4,343
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    3691

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    our DNA! its a pity but exactly we do.... This is very much my heart as well thanks for writing it Texas Carol
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Guilt must be in our human dna as we flog ourselves with it every chance we get.

    You sound extremely researched & educated in these matters, you did due diligence
    all the way thru this pregnancy & delivery.

    I'm heartbroken for you and so saddened that you lost these pups and Diamond was
    in danger too. What a terrible ordeal & such a shame to have happened to good people
    trying to do everything right by their bully mama & her babies. I certainly will pray for
    God to give peace, comfort & help you forgive yourself and for those beautiful babies &
    Diamond to grow ever stronger & remain healthy with long, happy lives.

    How is Diamond & babies doing?...when you are up to it, please share their pics with us.

    Sending big, big hugs from Texas to you & them, XOXOXO

  17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  18. #11
    Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    84
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)
    161

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    bless your heart and I guess I too would 'second' guess my decision if things didn't turn out just perfectly . I had my Shih Tzu bred just once (way too stressful) {and I was younger!} . It was lovely experience, but so scary. (I kept one, she became my beloved service dog for 6 years! the dear was born into my hands and the bond was set, she knew me like no other) Anyway, point is, I also should have had a scheduled C-section as they have those smushy faces as well... I'm "ms" nature, and so just figured that all would be well....thank the heavens it was or I would have kicked my self to China I suppose. *** It's just what we do!! guilt ourselves *** I studied for a year before deciding to do it, but just as easy, things could have gone south... You did what you were sure was best I felt bad that she ended up with the surgery anyway, but now that you are dealing with that, It seems that it's not effecting her so bad soooooooooooooooo, mabie lesson learned and go on from here. Has to hurt, no denying that, but it is a no fault situation... I hope you can lift them up, and in time just purely enjoy the rest.... I'm sure even with a c this often happens, you were just protecting your mama.. You did great!!
    Thank you so much!! I am keeping the first born little girl-Dixie. She is marked identical to my bulldog that passed away, Bella. When she was born I just cried and thanked my Bella for being with us. Now Dixie is always snuggled to my Diamonds face like she knows that this is her new and forever best friend. Thank you again for the sweet words!!

  19. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  20. #12
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,581
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
    Likes (Received)
    3388

    Default Re: Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

    Such beautiful babies & Diamond looks great, eyes are clear, temp good, vital signs good
    & eating, drinking & potty all good, thank you for these adorable pics!

    Please try & get much needed rest and take care of yourself in every way.

    You don't know that a scheduled c-section would have had different results for those lost
    babies, they are safe & well in Jesus lap now, please let Diamond & her babies bring you joy
    & heal your wounded heart.

    Praying for you & family.


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  21. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •