Free whelping versus c section English Bulldog

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like Carol mentioned, you wouldn't have known if a c section those pups would still be alive. You went with what you were told by the vet and they didn't see any reasons why Diamond needed a c section. You were on the ball as we say. Kept your cool and made the right decision to pack up the little clan to the vet. So you did the right thing. Dont be hard on yourself as you already knew what to do. Good job!!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'm very sorry that the delivery went so badly. I know you did your homework and were as prepared as you thought possible. Thankfully you have 5 healthy puppies and Diamond made it through.

Thanks for sharing your story as it may help someone make an informed decision in the future.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You wrote earlier that you have so far in 11 years had to have only one c-section. So this was your second. All the others, don't know how many, have been born naturally. That is a great achievement ( unless you've had two litters ;) ). Don't have any regrets, IMO you did the right thing. Do you think breeders that have routine C-sections and loose a puppy or two, think that they will try natural whelping the next time??? This can happen to any dog breed. In finland we're aiming for natural whelping and statistics from even just past five years show that only a little more puppys die at birth, but it also shows that a little less puppys die between birth and one year of age. So you may be saving some other people from heart ache. Mom and the puppys will recover so much quicker from natural whelping. And you know from experience that english bulldogs can do it, so it's only fare to let them try.
It's the same with neutering and spaying. Here we do it only if medically needed, not just in case. We have no problems with unwanted litters or stray dogs.

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
You wrote earlier that you have so far in 11 years had to have only one c-section. So this was your second. All the others, don't know how many, have been born naturally. That is a great achievement ( unless you've had two litters ;) ). Don't have any regrets, IMO you did the right thing. Do you think breeders that have routine C-sections and loose a puppy or two, think that they will try natural whelping the next time??? This can happen to any dog breed. In finland we're aiming for natural whelping and statistics from even just past five years show that only a little more puppys die at birth, but it also shows that a little less puppys die between birth and one year of age. So you may be saving some other people from heart ache. Mom and the puppys will recover so much quicker from natural whelping. And you know from experience that english bulldogs can do it, so it's only fare to let them try.
It's the same with neutering and spaying. Here we do it only if medically needed, not just in case. We have no problems with unwanted litters or stray dogs.
Yes, we had one c section before due to malpresentation. I should have mentioned that. I've only had 6 litters total. This was just by far the most chaotic. It made me question everything I have ever done. It even scared me with my past litters if I had done the right thing. Someone had mentioned earlier that free whelping the English Bulldog was like playing Russian Roulette and I started to really feel that way. Thank you for those statistics!! If a small chance for healthier babies is there than I can feel as if I'm achieving a great goal!! Thank you again for the support!!

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
I'm very sorry that the delivery went so badly. I know you did your homework and were as prepared as you thought possible. Thankfully you have 5 healthy puppies and Diamond made it through.

Thanks for sharing your story as it may help someone make an informed decision in the future.
Yes! Thank you! My intention sharing the journey was to maybe give others the chance to not choose surgery automatically. I think good breeders know their girls and know what is best for them. If anything educating people about different situations that can arise can maybe keep people informed of the risk. I think I was cocky, for lack of a better word, and learned a valuable lesson myself!! You all have been very supportive through out our journey and I am extremely grateful to you all!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
That's amazing that they lived 15 yr !!! Can you share some of your dog caring secrets? You are obviously an excellent dad who really cares.

I'm so glad you are keeping your girl-Dixie :) I sit here crying over the loss of my girls... They lived to 15 yrs each but still never enough... I placed my Nowell (my baby girl) on my chest as she passed (naturally) and she is melted in there forever. she made my life.. And her mama KnotYet was the most wonderful mom that got to keep her kid and gave me such joy.. Dogs are the most beautiful creatures... anyway, don't know exactly why I went off on my 'own' stuff there, but guess it's cause I'm behond happy your keeping that baby.... aww the love of dog :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So out of 6 litters you have had 4 natural whelpings. Don't question your self that is great result. Yes, some people may think your playing russian roulette, but let them. If you don't want to take any risks, don't breed. C-sections really are not risk free.

Yes, we had one c section before due to malpresentation. I should have mentioned that. I've only had 6 litters total. This was just by far the most chaotic. It made me question everything I have ever done. It even scared me with my past litters if I had done the right thing. Someone had mentioned earlier that free whelping the English Bulldog was like playing Russian Roulette and I started to really feel that way. Thank you for those statistics!! If a small chance for healthier babies is there than I can feel as if I'm achieving a great goal!! Thank you again for the support!!

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
So out of 6 litters you have had 4 natural whelpings. Don't question your self that is great result. Yes, some people may think your playing russian roulette, but let them. If you don't want to take any risks, don't breed. C-sections really are not risk free.

You are 100% right!! My husband says the same thing!! He tells me, "why do you think every puppy would have lived through a c section?" And you are both right, c sections do not go without risk. I felt out of control (I'm a control freak) because I knew the risks with free whelping and not necessarily for c sections. I felt like I handed over my baby to someone who couldn't possibly know what was best for HER. She was all of a sudden just another dog in just another surgery and I didn't like it. I've read the risks of Bulldogs and anesthesia and I barely got the chance to ask if they used the proper anesthesia for bulldogs special needs. They did an x ray and ultrasound before the section and I was told there was three babies left and all had heartbeats. Then there was only two babies and one died? Granted I was a walking zombie at this point but, I started to question the vet that I had trusted so much.

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Like Carol mentioned, you wouldn't have known if a c section those pups would still be alive. You went with what you were told by the vet and they didn't see any reasons why Diamond needed a c section. You were on the ball as we say. Kept your cool and made the right decision to pack up the little clan to the vet. So you did the right thing. Dont be hard on yourself as you already knew what to do. Good job!!!!
Thank you!! You all are really helping me feel as if it wasn't my fault!! Giving me peace!! I don't want to be known for being irresponsible, especially when there are little lives trusting my decisions!! Thank you ❤️️

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Do you think the litter was just too large and passing the dead baby exhausted her? In your opinion?

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
IMG_0645.JPG
Makes it all worth it ❤️️ Is there a cuter puppy in the world? Lol. All babies are precious ❤️️

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
boy what that does for my heart.... so beautiful so precious... and ohhhhhhhhhhh how much I want to hold that /those babies :)

They're doing my heart wonders ❤️️ Gods precious gifts ❤️️

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Anybody who is in Colorado is welcome to come snuggle babies ❤️️

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
There are a lot of possible problems during bullie free whelping. 8 babies in your case is a very generous litter, and uterus in multiple pregnancy is overstretched, therefore during labour it cannot sometimes contract as strong as it is nesessary many times to push each baby out. Also, uterus contractions go like waves, sometimes becoming less active and after several babies It could be just bad luck - big dead baby was coming out when contractions became lesss active.
You also said, that one dead baby looked strange, I also noticed that one alive pup is two times bigger than other, don't you think that she was inseminated twice and may be conceived twice, with several days span, it can happen, rare, but possible. And then may be this dead baby was due earlier, but because of his location or other reasons, labour didn't start in time for him, but too late and he just died a day or two before all other babies were ready to come out? His placenta started to separate, but no full range labour occurred. So, he suffocated. I remember, that signs of close labour - mucus, etc in Diamond started, then stopped for couple of days.
Anyway, you did a great job, Diamond is a real hero and best wishes to your bullie and human family! And kisses for those pink little faces!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.