Breeder expectation and responsibilities

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Hi there, we have a (almost) 2 year old EB. We got him from what we believed to be a reputable breeder. ( won't name names as of yet). Unfortunately our poor boy has had a multidue of health issues in his short little life. Numerous skin issues/infections, prolapsed urethra x3 (surgically repaired each time), had to have his nares and soft pallet done, and most recently gastric ulcers. We were actually in the middle of organizing to get another puppy from the same breeder when he got sick the last time and our vet bills made it impossible to purchase another. We explained this to our breeder and they didn't have much to say about his health issues - just that maybe we could work something out with the second puppy(same mom as our first). So this got me thinking, as someone who says they breed for health, should they not have checked up on how our boy was doing at say 6months, a year, etc? How do you know if the puppies you are breeding are healthy if you don't know anything about them past 8 weeks? I don't believe any of his health issues are their fault and I'm aware of common Bulldog health issues. I just am now finding that it is strange, and we do want to get a second one eventually - just want to hear the standard for breeders.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am not a breeder,but nares and palate are a pretty common issue with EBD's. When I was looking for pups, I asked the breeder for their veterinarian's name and phone number, and spoke to him directly about the breeder,how long he had been their vet, past litters,and health of parents. Things certainly can happen,but many breeders will offer to take the dog back,within a certain period of time,or a discount on pup oF another litter. With all your boys health problems, I would not get a second pup from this breeder. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] can perhaps help you more. I would definitely be giving your boy a probiotic. I am sure many breeders do check up on sold pups,but do some really care? Probably not.....

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like the breeder is not a reputable breeder, and I would never buy another pup from them. They should be concerned with all he health issuers, and never breed those two again. Breeders like that piss me off, they only care about money and not the breed. They should be ashamed of themselves. If there is any doubt in my mind that one of ours will pass on any unhealthy trait, we will not breed them. One example is we had a beautiful bitch we wanted to breed, but her lower jaw went just a little crooked, so we talked to the vet and he said you never know when a pup might do he same thing, it may take several generations down to show up again, but we didn't want to take the chance and just had her spayed and found a good pet home for her. Irresponsible breeders just make me angry.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Get your current pup sorted first...only then consider another...NOT from that breeder. If they are breeding for health then they are not doing a good job of it or their luck(your luck) is bad.
Nares are typical in many bullies
Prolapsed urethra may be hereditary...or may not.
Soft palate is hereditary
Gastric ulcers not hereditary

These are my understandings.

The soft palate issue alone would have me look elsewhere.

OP
D

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Thanks everyone for your input. So is it usually standard for a breeder to check in on how the pups are doing throughout their life or is that responsibility on the owner to inform the breeder should anything come up

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks everyone for your input. So is it usually standard for a breeder to check in on how the pups are doing throughout their life or is that responsibility on the owner to inform the breeder should anything come up

For sure not a reputable breeder there. It's not easy to buy any dog. Need to ask tons of questions and never buy on the spot. Wait a few days. Go back a few times. Call the breeder's vet. Ask what the dog is covered for if they get sick. Is it in the contract type. Nyala is guaranteed for 3yrs. More than most cars. Loll sorry had to throw that in. Anyway, usually a dog would basically have to die for them to give you another one. Sad eh? But who would trade in their puppy after 2yrs? Not many im pretty sure. Just got to do your homework n investigation ahead of time.

OP
D

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
That's the strange part, this breeder came highly recommended from multiple people and even another breeder. We visited the acreage twice and were very pleased. She assured us that she breeds for health and we signed contracts etc. We did our research, and this wasn't a on a whim purchase. I guess I'm just disappointed with the follow through and lack of communication/compassion when we reached out to her. While we would never think of giving our boy back (besides the health issues he's an amazing dog), I have to say we will not be getting a second one from her.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Lack of communication/compassion when we reached out to her..... That's you answer right there. All about money. She must be a good actress to have convinced everybody she's a great breeder. Not your fault. Right now keep doing what you're doing by continuing taking care of Diesel. We all know you wont give up. He'll eventually get better...you'll see. Diesel's a trooper. Diesel has a great owner! Hang in there.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

We had one litter, and no I do not consider myself a "breeder"... we have kept the communication lines open w/the puppies families to just make sure that everything was okay. We also told them if for any reason they decided to re-home the dogs to let us know first so we could get involved in that process. We wanted to make sure that they were going to good homes... but of course nothing is guaranteed.

OP
D

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Thanks everyone, you've all reassured me that not going back to her is the right decision. We will definitely wait until Diesel is %100 before getting him a sibling. That being said, I would like to start doing some more research into a better breeder. Any recommendations for breeders in the Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba areas?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Forum rules prohibits naming breeders and/or stud service.
My suggestion would be to check the breeder referral list on the Bulldog Club of Canada website.
Others may be able to help without posting links or names of breeders within the threads of EBN.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, Diesel too!

Dkerns27

Feb 14, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Rigamortis
Are these English bulldogs or olde English bulldogs? received_411919179146676.jpeg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online