How to bring your newborn pups home?

EnglishKai

Feb 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kai
We are expecting a litter the 23rd ( next week) and I've seen where a lot people use travel incubators, but I don't have the funds for that in my budget at the moment (I've spent most of my budget on supplies, food and ect getting ready and didn't even think about how to get the pups home). I was thinking of taking a tote, cutting a small hole in the bottom corner and putting a heating pad on the lowest setting, covered by a couple small blankets or towels to put them in. Putting a thermostat in there so I can monitor if I need to turn the heating pad off at a point and then back on in a few minutes. Instead of a lid on the tote putting a towel over the top to keep the heat in but allow air to still get in there. I've read where they should have oxygen flowing right after birth but that is quite expensive, could I use the nebulizer with or without albuterol and have it running while they are in there for the first few hours? I was thinking that it would be great to dry up any left over fluid in their lungs just as a normal breathing treatment would help clear up any lung issues. Thoughts? I of course want to make sure they are safe but if possible, if I can make something that would be good enough for now until I can invest more then I would to save the pennies for now so I can have more to invest in them after they are here.

TIA!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15510]EnglishKai[/MENTION] .... I am so lost here.... First of all, how old are these pups? From what im reading your bringing newborns? Where is the mother of theses pups? Are you driving...flying...how far to home base?
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

OP
E

EnglishKai

Feb 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kai
They will be born by c section next Monday and we travel about an hour and 15 mins one way to the vets office. So they will be minutes/hour old at the time of travel. Mom will be all comfy in the back seat of my SUV on the way home. I just want to make sure they are warm and safe from vet's office to home. Mom will be in the same room as the pups until pups are weaned.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ahhhh I see. An hour ish isnt too long. I dont know where you live. Is it cold these days or you're in a warm state? I would get something like a small kiddie pool or dog bed. I would put a electric blanket so it stays warm and surrounded by other blankets. I would defiantly sit in the back with all of them and someone drive. I would even put a clock so they hear a ticking sound lolll.... Mom will be there to protect her babies and probably pups will be feeding and have their belly full.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

OP
E

EnglishKai

Feb 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kai
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thanks! It is cold here and there aren't any kiddie pools around here right now :( But I can probably do something like that with a large low tote.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
You can also use hot water bottles. Careful with the electric mat as you could set it too high.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=1950]goobers mom[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
I used large plastic tote with lid and heating pad under towel. I DID drill acouple holes in the side of container, if really cold outside you can use latex gloves filled with hot water or rice socks too. I personally have incubator and concentrator for emergencies but have never used it. Good luck and enjoy them you will do great.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We've used a styrofoam cooler box, but ofcourse with warm water bottles and clean towels.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet always gives us two large IV bags that they heat in a microwave for a couple minutes. We have a small pet carrier that we put the bags in wrapped in towels so there is no way the pups can come in contact with the hot bags. put a blanket on top of that. Not so much that the heat won't come through, then put a blanket on top of them to keep the heat in. We also have about an hour drive home. We keep the pups in this carrier until they are a little over 2 weeks old, then they start to regulate their own body heat. I usually put a thermometer in the top to make sure it stays around 85 deg. F in the pen. WE reheat the IV bags about every 4 hours or as needed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.