Junior Handling

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
Hi All--

We are bringing home our new pup next week. My daughter has expressed an interest in showing and I am wondering what it will take to get her into Junior Handling? I have reached out to our local BCA and will attend meetings and get into the club, but I wanted to know if there is any information available that she can research and start working with him?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged David --- he has experience and can hopefully provide some insight

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=11079]AmandaPeterson[/MENTION] That's awesome your daughter wants to show. It is a lot of fun for the whole family. You have a good start by joining a local bulldog club. They can give you some info, plus let you know when they are having a B match, which are low keyed and fun, plus you get some practice at them. Plus find a place that does "conformation" classes ans go. This is a good place for your daughter and pup to learn what to do in the ring. I have a friend who lives in New Braunfels too. I can ask her if there is a class close by. She shows bullies also. Plus get these two books. You can get them on Amazon. They taught me a bunch when I was first starting out. One is, Dog Showing for Beginners, by Lynn Hall, and the other one is The Absolute Beginners Guide to Showing Your Dog, by Cheryl S. Smith. Once she and you read the books and find a conformation class, go to the classes as much as you can. Go to a B match if you can. Then go to a show. There are also junior handler shows as well and are fun. The main thing is go and have fun. She will mess up occupationally, but that's OK. We all do, and I still make a boo boo sometimes. I just laugh and go on. Don't take it so serious. People who do don;t have fun. You win some and you lose some, that's dog shows. Once she gets to where she want to show, let me know and I can let you know when there is a show close by that we are going to. We bully people stick together. :) You can also find out about upcoming shows and also register for shows at Onofro Dog Shows. https://www.onofrio.com PM me any time and ask questions, or PM me for my phone number and call me if you have any questions. Maybe we will see you at a show soon.

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
Thank you so much! I would love to hear from your friend that shows as well. I agree it will be a fun venture for us and we are excited. I appreciate all of your feedback and hope to keep in touch.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Onofrio shows are great. I used to show Norton there. My daughter was a junior handler and did well, once Norton learned she was the boss. Oh! The stories I could tell about that bad boy!
IMG_0590.JPG

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.