RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
...is to breed bulldogs that can mate and whelp naturally. I know most of you think it's madness, but we think it's the only way to over all healthier bulldog. First part was a succes with Voitto's sister Taika 14080829_10210599615095645_1241157470_n.jpg
The second part was expected to happen this thursday, but things started to happen already on saturday, five days early. Her owner had been taking her temp for days and it dropped like it does before whelping and from there things should move along in a day, max 2. I drove to their home and the waiting started. The mother to be was in a good condition so the most experienced midwife (Voitto's and Taika's breeder) was not too worried that there was some discharge. The babies were moving and she thought that one is most likely lost. We stayed up and waited.... called the vet on sunday evening and she said we can waite until the morning. If there was no contractions by morning then we should take her to the vet. She was scheduled for x-ray on monday morning anyways, so we waited. I had to come home to work on monday morning, but on monday morning 10 babies were bore alive on c-section. 3 days early, but in good condition and hungry. One was dead. Unfortunately the first one in line to be born was the one that had died then on saturday. That started the whelping process, but it also kept it from moving on. The vet said that if she is to be mated again there is no reason why she coudn't give natural birth. She and Voitto were born naturally.

They are premature so they're still in danger, but so far so good. A prayer or two for them could be useful.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Praying for the baby bullies and their momma that they are happy and healthy

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sending lots of prayers... I know how nerve wracking it is w/those new babies. We would love to see some pics!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending prayer and best wishes that all the babies and mama do well, and prosper and become fat and healthy little piggies!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hoping and Praying the Babies do well, and continue to grow stronger. Can't wait to see some pictures of the little squishy faces. Sending love and prayers.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hoping and Praying the Babies do well, and continue to grow stronger. Can't wait to see some pictures of the little squishy faces. Sending love and prayers. I'm sorry for the loss of one of the puppies, may he RIP.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Say hi to uncle Voitto and congratulations to all the nephews and nieces! We hope they soon grow stronger!

I fully agree with what you say about natural breeding and whelping. Sometimes things go wrong, though - what you describe is I believe exactly what happened when Castor was born, one puppy was lost and the rest of them had to be delivered by c-section. His mum had whelped before without problems.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Can't wait to see the pictures! I hope they are continuing to do well.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Prayers for the litter! I think natural mating is more feasible then people make it out to be, especially with larger females. My girl is only 42lbs so if I paired her with a 60+lb male then I could risk hurting her. But if they are equal weight and size and weather conditions are good I don't see an issue.

As for free whelping I kind of see it like humans. Sure "most" people can have natural births but a lot do end in C-sections. Also just because one child was born naturally doesn't mean that a C-section can't result from a future child just like in dogs. Sucks that the one puppy got stuck and passed but I hope the rest continue to thrive!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Best of luck and sending prayers fir all the babies and Momma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.