Help breeding our male

dblplay1212

Apr 30, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
We have an 8 year old male that we want to breed but we have no clue where to start. Our male has a cool pedigree, Uga V was his grandfather on both sides. I know a lot of people claim that but we have papers showing it and he came from someone close to UGA. Anyways, we honestly don't care about that, he's just our laps dog. We just want a good dog but have no idea what to even look for. Also, how does the process work? Who pays for what? Does the male still get pick of the litter? Any help would be appreciated.

OP
D

dblplay1212

Apr 30, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Btw this is Bear

20150620_232527_zpskjmfj5uy.jpg

OP
D

dblplay1212

Apr 30, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
20150620_232530_zpscv2n6kdd.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsqfepd0ww.jpg

PicsArt_1438435730942_zpsajhircpn.jpg

Attachments

• 20150620_232527_zpskjmfj5uy.jpg
    20150620_232527_zpskjmfj5uy.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 185
OP
D

dblplay1212

Apr 30, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I could post pics of him all day

BearTired.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sorry to be a spoil sport....First....have you had him health tested? He looks adorable, but you have to test at least hips, elbows, knees, trachea, HUU, back is good to test too. Usually it's the bitches owner, preferably a breeder, that starts looking for a suitable male for the bitch. What do you think are the qualities in your dog that you want to pass on to the pups? Why would any breeder want to use your dog for their bitch? Other than that you want a pup from him? What do you look for in the bitch? Sounds like you're looking for just any bitch and that never goes well. If you find any bulldog bitch owner without experience and you decide to go on with it...it most likely spells a disaster. Were you planning on them to mate naturally? It may be too taxing for him since his age. His sperm may also not be viable any more. Usually at that age it's not viable enough for artificial insemination. I personally think that breeding should be left for breeders.

OP
D

dblplay1212

Apr 30, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Idk what all "health testing" involves but he's never had any problems other than some skin irritations that Appoquel quickly solved. He goes to the vet regularly so I'm not just saying that. And no, I'm not looking for just any female. I'd like a good looking female with no health problems in her line. As for why he'd make a good mate, he has a great demeanor. Very gentle. No health problems at all is a plus, too. But yea, I'm looking to make him with a breeder. I'm not trying to do this on my own. I guess I wasn't clear about that. I'm looking for ways to get hooked up with a quality breeder that would possibly breed their female with him. I would think his pedigree would be attractive but I honestly have no clue about that.

OP
D

dblplay1212

Apr 30, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Also, how can i get his sperm tested? Can any vet do that? Getting a sample won't be hard. A couple times a week I come home to find him leaned back against a wall just shooting it across the room with a huge smile on his face. Damn dog lol.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Before spending money on sperm tests, huu test etc I would see if you can find a breeder who is willing to mate.
The norm is they have there own circles that they use, know the dogs are fully tested and most times use show dogs with a good blood line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'm not a breeder and I don't mean to butt in, but skin allergies and itchiness is one of the most common reasons why bulldogs are often surrendered to shelters and rescues. Dog owners don't realize that a high quality food is necessary to keep these at bay, and often, as you know, medical intervention is needed. All of this comes at a high cost, which is explained to most bulldog owners that buy pups. Some of these owners don't listen. As a geneticist, I'm not entirely convinced that these allergies are NOT genetic, so I would consider that a pass on breeding. It's really unfair to future pups.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Most reputable breeders will not do a pick of the litter when they can just pay a stud fee. With your dog being 8 most breeders are going to be cautious about breeding with you because of your dogs age, no record of producing, (Not saying that he cant) & not a show dog. A good start is to google information about breeding bulldogs. I think this is the 1st step you need to do. There are also well established breeders in the various forums that you can message. Before I started to breed I learned a ton of information just from a couple members here. You need to know what it takes both financially and medically. After doing all that and you still decide to proceed you should have some health testing done through the OFA.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.