Diosa

Feb 8, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diosa, we're about 45% sure of that.
I entered my question in this sub-forum because I wanted to get opinions from breeders and those familiar with the Bulldog standard.

My family and I are counting down the days (nine now to be exact) until our little girl is born. We have reserved second pick of the litter behind the breeder and are anxious to see what the litter will have to offer. However, while we have familiarized ourself with the standard, and our ideal image -we don't know exactly how all of these theories based on adults apply to puppies....

So my question is what distinguishing features or characteristics should I be looking for in these puppies that might translate to how they will mature? What is the 'secret' behind truly selecting the pick of the litter?

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
Some of that will depend on your goals. Are you just looking for a healthy family pet, show dog, planning to breed? One thing I've learned thus far is that a lot of those important features for showing a dog do not really reveal themselves until they mature a few months. Even the colors can change some as they grow.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I will tag some members for you...

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
I found this really helpful when selecting a puppy. Like John has said already, it depends on what you're looking for as a litter is going to have different personalities. Hope the link helps!

Choosing a dog. Buying a Bulldog puppy.

OP
D

Diosa

Feb 8, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far. We really are appreciative of any added input that we recieve. But to clarify, we are wanting a show quality female in both appearance and attitude. We have absolutely no preference to color although we'd obviously prefer "flashier" patterning. It's most important to us that the puppy has just as much fun as we do in the activities that we intend to pursue (CGC, Confirmation, Therapy) so a willing and confident disposition is a must.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I do not show I am a pet family dog kinda guy that said , I look for only females I find them less aggressive in a group or pack of dogs which I have all different breeds , I look for the largest depending on when you are viewing them age wise of course , Rosie was 5 or 6 weeks old when I first went to My breeder , she was as big or bigger then the males at that time in the litter I like big females and I know she got to MoM,s milk all the good stuff from MoM a lot if she is that big at that point in time . When I picked out Tilly another female she was maybe 4 months or better old so i looked for a pup that will come to Me and keep doing that , I sat on the floor and of course they all came to Me , but out of 8 pups she continued to come back to Me and stayed the longest with Me over say a hour of sitting on the floor in there kitchen . they both came home with Me , as I said I do not show dogs I look for personality and build , not sure this helps and it is a exciting time drove me around the bend lol but was so worth it all Bulldogs are !

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is hard to pick a show pup at that age, it's more of a best guess. I have had some that I didn't think would be a good how candidate, and put them in a pet home and at 6 months the pup blossomed and looked really nice. I wish I had kept her, as the owners have no desire to show. I have also kept some and then later placed them in a pet home. You have to go with your gut on the one you think will be the best candidate. Get the breeder to help you, especially if they also show their stock. If I have a couple I think will be show prospects, I will keep them until they mature some and then make my choice. Look for big bone, a nice head, and watch them on how they move. At a young age you will not see the top line very well until they get a little older. Also look at the tail and ears too.

OP
D

Diosa

Feb 8, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know we've chosen our girl! She was/is the biggest in her litter (a coincidence, as it was not apart of our reasoning in choosing her) but she's also got a big beautiful head, a nice rope forming and flashy brindle markings (we love her 'pants'). We can't wait to bring her home. Thanks so much to all those that responded to our questions.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know we've chosen our girl! She was/is the biggest in her litter (a coincidence, as it was not apart of our reasoning in choosing her) but she's also got a big beautiful head, a nice rope forming and flashy brindle markings (we love her 'pants'). We can't wait to bring her home. Thanks so much to all those that responded to our questions.

congratulations. Please post pics.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Congrats.... Share!!!!

:pics:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Congrats! Looking forward to see her brindle pants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Congratulations! Can't wait to see, 'Fancy Pants'.

Thank you too, for updating us :)

OP
D

Diosa

Feb 8, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We had chosen the name Diosa before she was born but it didn't seem to suit her. We love her 'patchy' moo-cow markings and her father is from the Cherokee line so she'll be our little Apache <3 Collage 2016-03-11 14_47_13.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.