k71899

Aug 21, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
none
My husband and I are looking to adopt our first bulldog and met with a breeder today - there were a couple of things that seemed a bit quirky during a visit and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this was normal...

First off, let me start by saying that we had no doubts about the breeder before the visit. We've been on a wait list with the breeder since April, and have been communicating with her up until the puppies were born last week. She is very knowledgeable of the breed and reviews from previous customers and colleagues online are all very positive.

With that being said...

We contacted the breeder last week for an update and were informed that two puppies were born. We showed interest in one of the pups and the breeder recommended that we visit once the puppy turns one week old. We thought this was a little early, but agreed.

When we arrived, just the one puppy was available for us to see. When we asked to see the mother, the breeder said we could *BUT* she still had stitches from the c-section and it would be difficult to bring her out (she was in an indoor kennel attached to the house). The breeder, instead, offered to bring the father out and send us pictures of the mother. The breeder has eight bulldogs, all of which live in what they say is an air-conditioned kennel (we weren't invited to see it.) This seemed a little odd to us.

When asked what would happen if we wished to move forward, the breeder began discussing a deposit and the types of payment she accepts. Again, seemed odd as no questions were asked of us other than our names. We were also leery since we would essentially be committing to a dog whose temperament is still to be determined.

The breeder stated that the dogs are registered with the AKC during our visit - but there was no mention of pedigree, paperwork or a guarantee.

Obviously after leaving, we still have a lot of questions for the breeder. After our visit, however, we're not sure if we should continue pursuing an adoption from this breeder or not. Is it common for breeders to ask you to commit to a specific dog at that young of an age?

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
It does sound a little unusual to me. She should have at least had a copy of the parents AKC papers for you to see their pedigrees. I also would wonder why there were only two puppies. Has the mom had litters in the past? Did only two survive? Did the mother survive the birth? Have you previously seen pictures of the parents? I would go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Tagging some members who are familiar with this situation to give some insight.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Our Bella had one litter, so I don't consider myself a breeder at all but I will give you my opinion...

First off you should SEE the mother, father and all the pups. Her having a c-section would not make a difference, unless they didn't want her to get too excited. I didn't even show my pups at ALL until they were at the least 8 weeks oldā€¦ their features can change many times over. Seeing the parents would give you somewhat an idea of temperament on the puppies. The AKC papers of the parents should of been shown if askedā€¦ the papers on the pups they may not have as of yet. Some breeders want you to file them for themselves. I find it extremely sad that they didn't even ask you any questions regarding your home situation, if you had other animals or kidsā€¦ or if you had ever owned a bulldog before. I questioned everyone extensively before any arrangements were made to take any of our pups. I also stressed that if things didn't work out they contact us firstā€¦ we would take the pups back in our home. I was a little on the anal side since this was our first time doing this, so maybe we went overboard on thingsā€¦ Lol

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
[MENTION=14716]k71899[/MENTION], I think if I were in your shoes, I would just call the breeder and ask her all of those questions. Tell her nicely that you would like to see the mother and the kennel before making a final decision to go forward. I do find it strange that you weren't questioned at all for the breeder to decide if she wants to place a puppy with you. When we had a litter of boxer puppies, I screened people very carefully before they got a puppy--if they didn't seem right, no puppy. But I realize that not all breeders are so picky (even though they should be). I would ask to see the pedigree of the parents.

I do know that breeders sometimes require deposits. As far as temperaments go, I think that's a crap shoot with any particular puppy. Your best way to judge is by seeing the parents and what kind of temperaments they have.

I'm sure some of our members who are breeders will respond. But my advice is to ask questions before you give up. You've been waiting for a long time since April!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Our Bella had one litter, so I don't consider myself a breeder at all but I will give you my opinion...

First off you should SEE the mother, father and all the pups. Her having a c-section would not make a difference, unless they didn't want her to get too excited. I didn't even show my pups at ALL until they were at the least 8 weeks oldā€¦ their features can change many times over. Seeing the parents would give you somewhat an idea of temperament on the puppies. The AKC papers of the parents should of been shown if askedā€¦ the papers on the pups they may not have as of yet. Some breeders want you to file them for themselves. I find it extremely sad that they didn't even ask you any questions regarding your home situation, if you had other animals or kidsā€¦ or if you had ever owned a bulldog before. I questioned everyone extensively before any arrangements were made to take any of our pups. I also stressed that if things didn't work out they contact us firstā€¦ we would take the pups back in our home. I was a little on the anal side since this was our first time doing this, so maybe we went overboard on thingsā€¦ Lol

Good advice Tracey! We must have been posting at the same time!

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Personally I think I would do some further checking on the breeder. As a breeder and a puppy nanny to several other breeders litters over the last 10 years. I started out being a puppy nanny :) I would be very Leary of a breeder that didn't ask question about you and your home. When I have perspective parents come and see pups which is never till there at least 8 weeks old I have a long list of questions for them and I encourage them to make a list of questions for me before they come. The only time I would not show them BOTH parent is if I did not use my own stud but I would still have stud dog information and pictures available for them. I would definitely want to see where she keeps these pups and the parents I mean how do you know there well cared for or that mom and dad are actually bulldogs? I mean I hate to say it but there are some lousy breeders out there.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would not go on with the adoption. I'm not a breeder, but I know a lot...good ones, bad ones and everything in between. I would never buy a puppy from anything else but the good ones. So and so is not enough, it's about life. They should ask you questions, they should show a lot of interest were their pups would live and what kind of parents you'd be. 11760257_10207601195087092_7499376699580741956_n.jpgThis is how I would be....
You should not see the pup at that young age, 5 weeks is the minimum. You should see the parents and the place were they're living. If they meet these demands now that you ask of them it does not chance the fact that didn't do it in the first place...No good.

OP
K

k71899

Aug 21, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
none
Well, after seeing everyone's responses we reached out to the breeder with our questions. She replied back quickly and said that she'd already taken another deposit from outside the state. We were told originally that we were the only ones interested in a female and that we were first on the list, so we're disappointed to say the least. Wished she would have informed us that she needed a quicker response (we got back to her in less than 24 hours), especially since we've been communicating with her regularly since April. Guess it's on to the next one.

Thank you everyone for your input!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I agree it seems a bit off. Sometimes litters are only 2 puppies. Sometimes they're much bigger -- for example, Ruckus was part of a huge litter, he was one of 8! My breeder showed me around, let me meet all of her dogs, see where they live, etc. I do think it's normal to ask for a deposit. However, I don't understand why she would only show you one puppy. Maybe because the other one was spoken for? You could always ask to speak with people who have bought her pups. If she's a good breeder she keeps in touch. My breeder is friends with me on Facebook and loves seeing pictures of Ruckus and Regina. She also has a page for her breeding and people post pictures of dogs they've gotten from her and rave about temperament, health, etc.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Well, after seeing everyone's responses we reached out to the breeder with our questions. She replied back quickly and said that she'd already taken another deposit from outside the state. We were told originally that we were the only ones interested in a female and that we were first on the list, so we're disappointed to say the least. Wished she would have informed us that she needed a quicker response (we got back to her in less than 24 hours), especially since we've been communicating with her regularly since April. Guess it's on to the next one.

I'm sorry it didn't turn out like you had hoped. However, it may have been a blessing in disguise. They say everything happens for a reason.

bully602

Sep 8, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo/Cheena/Chevy
What I have heard from some breeders is they don't like to show all of their puppies in fear of someone breaking into their homes or stealing them, which is not uncommon if you read some of the facebook post about puppies getting stolen. Think about it, you have 8 pups, all worth 2-3k each that's at minimum 16k you have sitting in your house. BUT!!!!!! yeah you should at least be able to see the mother if you asked.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would be very leery too. First off, I would never allow anyone coming and seeing my pups that young. We welcome you to see them once they get older and preferably after their first set of shots. They should have at least let you see the mom, just because she has stitches from the C-session doesn't mean she can't walk. Something sounds fishy. We also will give a copy of the pedigree if people want to see it and enjoy showing our bullies off. We also ask questions to the new owners to make sure our pups are going to a good loving fur-ever home.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I have a feeling this breeder didn't own the mom. Or maybe it was a co-owner situation. Either way, I don't think the mom was at her home.

Most Reactions