Thread: Seasonal alopecia and breeding

Country
    Nottinghamshire
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Skye
    Likes (Received)

Default Seasonal alopecia and breeding

Hi everyone I would love your advice. My bitch was born with a bold patch on her side which the vet was never worried about. Later on I bread her and she took but reabsorbed, then she started to get bold patches a couple of months later . The vet said it was hormonal. All the hair has grown back apart from one bit near the bald but she was born with. She is back in season and my stud dog owner has told me that hormonal hair loss is linked to reproductive problems and she might reabsord everytime. Has anyone been in the same situation? Thank

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Seasonal alopecia and breeding

Hi, I am sorry but I don't have any experience with this so I can only offer my thoughts. I personally would not breed if she was born with a bald patch or has had seasonal flank alopecia, expecially if it has happened more than once. Many dams blow thier coats during heat cycles or after having a litter of puppies, so yes that is normal hormonal stuff. From what you are describing it sounds like it is a bit more than that.

Perhaps she is lacking a vitamin or mineral in her system? You could try NuVet plus to see if it helps, as well as melatonin. NuVet is money back guarantee so it would not hurt to try it.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seasonal alopecia and breeding

I agree, I think she has something else going on. Seasonal alopecia if they get it every once in awhile, I wouldn't worry about breeding, but with yours being born with a bald spot, I would be too worried that might be passed down, so I would not breed her.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Remove Ads