Breeding female with her uncle

bully602

Sep 8, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo/Cheena/Chevy
Hello,

I have one female right now, I don't intend to be a breeder but would like to have at least 1-2 litters with my female when the time comes. I came across a male I really like but it is the females uncle..... I am really sorry if this is a stupid question but is that OK to breed? Would the AKC still register them? The uncle is on dam side, so it's my females mom's brother.

Again sorry if this is a dumb question, I like the male but don't want their to be any issues or not be able to register them, at first I thought this was completely wrong but I was reading about in line breeding so I figured I would ask you lovely people :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I personally don't do any inbreeding and would never recommend it. Hopefully you have plenty of time to seek out other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
inbreeding by basic nature is not a good thing. You will have a litter alright but it will also come with genetic problems. You have to avoid this from happening.

OP
B

bully602

Sep 8, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo/Cheena/Chevy
Thank you both for the information, It felt like it wasn't right but didn't know and figured I would ask. I can patiently wait for another male to come up :) Thank you both

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That would mean inbreeding of a 12,5%, which is high. After 10% the problems will for sure start to arise. 6,25% is the highest you should go, if you have to.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That is a little too close to inbreeding. If it was her grandfather, that would be OK, as that is line breeding, and a lot of breeders do this, but you really need to be careful, because as it can enhance the good traits as that's what we want, but it can also go the other way and enhance the bad traits too.

Littleeagle

Jul 28, 2011
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
We have thought about breeding Baxter just so we can have one of his puppies. Let me know if you, or anyone else, is interested. We bought a motorhome just so he can go everywhere with us. Planning on heading out West very soon so we could stop by for a meet and greet along the way.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We have thought about breeding Baxter just so we can have one of his puppies. Let me know if you, or anyone else, is interested. We bought a motorhome just so he can go everywhere with us. Planning on heading out West very soon so we could stop by for a meet and greet along the way.

I ask you to read these first, before hitting the road.

English Bulldog News Forums - About Bulldog Breeding: Learn What It Takes

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Breeding DOs and DONTs!!

Littleeagle

Jul 28, 2011
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
The original poster said they wanted to breed their female. We have a healthy, beautiful male that we would like a puppy from so as long as we are comfortable with the female being a strong, healthy bred English bulldog then we have no problem with that.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.