a little assistance required.

discodan84

Apr 13, 2015
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
bella & Hugo
Hi,

I am a new member and would like to say hi to every one. My post today is to ask for assistance with the mating of our 2 beautiful bulldogs. We have bella who is approaching 3 years old and hugo who is 2 years 6 months. We are so proud of both of our little family and want them to have a family of there own.
When Bella was last in season we tried to mate the 2 of them naturally but both being new to mating was unsuccessful. I am now look to get a little help as bella is due in season in a few weeks. I tried to give them a help in hand last year but hugo thought it was a game and lost interest when I got involved. I think I need an external third party to lend a hand with experience. I am based in Romford Essex England and would appreciate any one responding with some suggestions.

Many Thanks Dan

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
:welcome4: to EBN, unfortunately I cant give you any advice on this but someone should be along shortly and I will Tag Lisa who has a lot of experience here

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am not a breeder, but have always read and heard it is best to have your girl artificially inseminated... natural mating can be a very big health concern

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
I don't know any naturally breed Bulldogs, all have been artificially inseminated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My girl Bella was artificially inseminated… since they are bulldogs the males can get overheated quickly, and that becomes a serious matter in itself.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
@discodan84 Well you may not like what I have to say, but it's the truth and here it is. First off, breeding bullies are not like breeding other breeds. They should NOT be bred naturally as they can get too over heated and you could kill the male. They should be bred by A.I. Plus you should not let the bitch have her pups naturally either, even though there are people who don't want to spend the money and do it anyway, but they are playing with her life and the life of the pups. They should be taken by C-session. People say all the time "I whelp mine naturally and they do fine" but they are taking a big chance and could loose mom and all the pups. Plus once the pups are born, I hope you don't like sleep, because you will be up every two hours feeding, because the pups can not be left alone with mom, as she can accidentally kill them, by stepping on them or rolling over on them and smothering them. Read up on it, get a mentor, and if you really want my advice, don't do it at all. You need to research their pedigrees and make sure they are a good match to make sure you will have beautiful, healthy and pups with a good temperament. Plus there are the health screenings that should be done too. Not every bully should be bred together, just because they look good. There is more to it than that. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, as I am not saying your bullies are ugly and unhealthy, it's just things that need to be researched before hand, and you may have done the research already. Plus I saw your avatar, and one of your bullies color is a highly undesirable color for the BCA and The Kennel Club, and in my opinion should never be bred, even though people still do, but do it just for money, but that's just my opinion. I am a breeder and breed for show, and try to breed the best I can breed, and to the BCA standard. Here are a couple articles to read about breeding bullies.

English Bulldog News Forums - About Bulldog Breeding: Learn What It Takes

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Breeding DOs and DONTs!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh my gosh, I so agree with David, he is a breeder and knows what he speaks of
and a very kind & caring man so he's not being critical just straight shooting TRUTH.
Many on EBN have expressed, after the fact, they weren't going to put their bullies
or themselves thru it, ever again. And this past year, some here lost the puppies and
some, their beloved Momma bully, believe me, we cried & mourned with them.

If you decide to proceed, please get experienced mentors & bully experienced Vets to
advise you and please, do AI & C-section births. The few bullies that deliver naturally
are just incredibly lucky, please do not take the risk, especially with a 1st time Mom.
There's a valid reason bulldogs cost so much, if you do all you should thru out the
pregnancy and do due diligence for Mom & pups afterwards, it's expensive! Bully pups
should stay with Mom, at least, until 8 weeks old.

It's truly not for inexperienced people to try and definitely without the breeding pair's
health & genetic testing, even then with all testing clear, issues can happen in the pups.

OP
discodan84

discodan84

Apr 13, 2015
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
bella & Hugo
Thanks for all your advice. I have now a professional mentor and a plan for A.I conception.(although I really wanted all natural) And yes I have had a chat with my vet and discussed the pros and cons of a C-section birth.
David I am a little confused about your colour comment. I am taking it that you are referring to Bella the thorn/brown coloured bulldog in the pic.( as Hugo is a tri and it seems these are sort after) We picked her due to her colour and get constant compliments on her colour. If what you say is true and they are not a desired colour for breeding then maybe that's the problem..... that her colour are being breed out and becoming more less and less common! I would be more than happy to deliver a full litter her colour. I have done my research and I do understand the responsibility's of breeding bulldogs and the complications. I also thank you for taking the time to educate people like myself and other who post on these forums for advise. Its Knowledgeable people like yourself that help keep the good breed at its peak.

Kindest Regards

Dan

benny316

Sep 9, 2014
Hi dan it is very hard to mate bulldogs naturally most have to be done through a.i. I have mated my becky this way awaiting litter in may. I had to get two test done when she went into heat to see when she was ovulating. They should be able to tell you when she should be mated from results of this. She was left over to my mate ian who did 3 matings through a.i over 24 hrs eg first mating was march 9th am second march 9th pm and third march 10th. It was four weeks after she went for a scan to confirm if she was with pup. So im counting down the days now until may and she is ready to deliver. It can be quite tricky getting them pregnant it might be best for you to have a chat with your vet and to come up with a plan. I hope that all works out for you and the best of luck

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks for all your advice. I have now a professional mentor and a plan for A.I conception.(although I really wanted all natural) And yes I have had a chat with my vet and discussed the pros and cons of a C-section birth.
David I am a little confused about your colour comment. I am taking it that you are referring to Bella the thorn/brown coloured bulldog in the pic.( as Hugo is a tri and it seems these are sort after) We picked her due to her colour and get constant compliments on her colour. If what you say is true and they are not a desired colour for breeding then maybe that's the problem..... that her colour are being breed out and becoming more less and less common! I would be more than happy to deliver a full litter her colour. I have done my research and I do understand the responsibility's of breeding bulldogs and the complications. I also thank you for taking the time to educate people like myself and other who post on these forums for advise. Its Knowledgeable people like yourself that help keep the good breed at its peak.

Kindest Regards...Dan

It's kind of you to reply back and ease our minds, Dan, thank you!
Sounds as if you are preparing correctly and have educated yourself
properly. Good luck and please, keep us informed and share pics, may
GOD bless & protect your bullies & babies!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=14019]discodan84[/MENTION] I am so happy you have a mentor now and that will help. The color I am referring to is the tri. It is mostly black, and mostly black, black and tan, and tri's are highly undisirable, because genetically black is a dominate color, and if people keep breeding the black, it will eventually take over and we will be stuck with all black bulldogs. Good luck with your quest to breed your bully, I hope it turns out the way you want. We are here to help, even though I don't agree with breeding non-standard colors, I will still try to help and answer any question you may have.

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
Very good advice you have given to her @ Davidh. I have known a couple of people who's dogs bred natural and also had the puppies natural and one person was out of town when her female gave birth and her litter was 10 and 7 of them fell through the grate of the cage she had them in. These 7 died from the mom not being able to get to them I am assuming. It was unfortunate but she was only an 1 1/2 hours away and that is what she came home to. She said the c-section was planned for following week, so I am not sure really what happened. The point being is that things happen even when you think you have it all strategically planned. The other person who bred natural had a littler of puppies natural as well and all survived and was wonderful little puppies who were very healthy. I have never understood why people who choose to do this do it this way when research shows that AI and c-section is how it should be done. Interesting though, but I am just one of those people who go by what my vet says. Being a bully owner of many many bullies in my lifetime has made me so aware of health before cuteness. One can never do enough research on this breed. Again your advice was on point.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.