Weaning advice

ownedbymillie

May 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
Hey all,

I have a litter of 4 week old bulldog pups, I have started offering them some solid food - lean mince mixed with a little formula or some Royal Canin Starter Mousse, my problem is that mum who had started to loose interest in feeding them has now gotten clucky again & every time I try to offer them solid food they're already full from mum
:blush2: Short of shutting Mum out, Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can overcome this?

Also what sort of sensory stimula should I be starting to introduce, I see so many different options online that I'm finding it all quite confusing.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can let them feed off mama one time and then the mush the next. Royal Canon isn't the best food around, but not sure what you have available to you down under. The pups should be left with their mom and littermates until at least 8 weeks of age, 12 weeks is better, before they go to their fur-ever homes. We always give them plenty of attention when they are awake, and at 4 or 5 weeks of age, we start taking them outside when the weather is nice to get used to that environment and also it helps with potty training. They learn from their mom and from you too. We pick them up often and love on them so they get used to being held, plus when they play they also learn to bite properly when they are around their mom and littermates. We treat all of our pups as if they are one of the family, so when they go to their new homes, they are used to that environment.

OP
ownedbymillie

ownedbymillie

May 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
Thanks Davidh, sounds like pretty much what I'm doing now, they're living in our lounge room so getting lots of lovin from the family, they get picked up & cuddled when awake & often one of us will sit in the box with them, will start taking them outside in the next week or so depending on the weather & they won't leave here until they're about 12 weeks.
I've seen apps designed to get dogs used to sounds & was wondering if anyone used these & also if there were some toys that were better than others?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.