Thread: Removing dewclaws leads to arthritis. Please do not do it to your pups. IMPORTANT!

Country
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Removing dewclaws leads to arthritis. Please do not do it to your pups. IMPORTANT!

To all breeders out there: please please please do not remove your pups' dew claws! Not only it is painful, traumatic, can cause infection and completely unnecessary, but it is connected to arthritis later in life. Please read this article by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD.
    With A Flick of the Wrist by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documen...aws-injury.pdf

Quote from the article: "In the last several years, while doing sports-medicine consultations for performance dogs across Canada and the United States, I have seen many canine athletes with carpal arthritis. Interestingly, this condition is much more common in dogs that have had their front dewclaws removed...The dewclaws have the important function of reducing the torque that is applied to the front legs, especially when dogs are turning at a canter (the main gait used in agility)."

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Removing dewclaws leads to arthritis. Please do not do it to your pups. IMPORTANT!

Great article!!

Whoever out there dewclaws an EBD may God have mercy on you and you never ever run into me.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Removing dewclaws leads to arthritis. Please do not do it to your pups. IMPORTANT!

I didn't read the article, but am wondering in what situation would a vet want to declaw a dog? I've never heard of such a thing.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Frankie ripped his declaw when we first got him and the nail never grew back. The actual "toe" (this is what the emergency vet called it) is still on his leg, just no nail. I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on my baby!
    My smooshy face boy!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Frankie ripped his declaw when we first got him and the nail never grew back. The actual "toe" (this is what the emergency vet called it) is still on his leg, just no nail. I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on my baby!
    Probably not, since it's just the nail that's missing. It was around that time I heard people get dogs dew claws removed, I had only heard of it in cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Olivia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Belle
    Likes (Received)

The "idea" behind removing dew claws is that they aren't needed and can be ripped out if the dog spends a lot of time outdoors. Personally, I've owned plenty of dogs with dew claws and never had an issue. Belle has hers too thankfully.
    "The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.
    ― Charles de Gaulle

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

Well, our mix breed EB/basset hound has his tail docked and dewclaws removed. They were done when we got them and we didn't have a choice in it. I thought it was silly to do either on him, but it didn't matter to me either way. Supposedly they're supposed to be done before the bones are solid and it it's not supposed to affect anything. Who knows. I hope Clyde never has problems from it.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Normally people don't remove dew claws on bullies, at least they shouldn't.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Country
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Davidh, I posted it after reading one reputable breeder's status update saying that her puppies were completely pissed and screaming their lungs out due to tail docking and dew claws removal .

Remove Ads