Removing dewclaws leads to arthritis. Please do not do it to your pups. IMPORTANT!

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
To all breeders out there: please please please do not remove your pups' dew claws! Not only it is painful, traumatic, can cause infection and completely unnecessary, but it is connected to arthritis later in life. Please read this article by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD.
With A Flick of the Wrist by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documents/dewclaws-injury.pdf

Quote from the article: "In the last several years, while doing sports-medicine consultations for performance dogs across Canada and the United States, I have seen many canine athletes with carpal arthritis. Interestingly, this condition is much more common in dogs that have had their front dewclaws removed...The dewclaws have the important function of reducing the torque that is applied to the front legs, especially when dogs are turning at a canter (the main gait used in agility)."

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great article!!

Whoever out there dewclaws an EBD may God have mercy on you and you never ever run into me. :no:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I didn't read the article, but am wondering in what situation would a vet want to declaw a dog? I've never heard of such a thing.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie ripped his declaw when we first got him and the nail never grew back. The actual "toe" (this is what the emergency vet called it) is still on his leg, just no nail. I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on my baby! :nervous:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Frankie ripped his declaw when we first got him and the nail never grew back. The actual "toe" (this is what the emergency vet called it) is still on his leg, just no nail. I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on my baby! :nervous:

Probably not, since it's just the nail that's missing. It was around that time I heard people get dogs dew claws removed, I had only heard of it in cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
The "idea" behind removing dew claws is that they aren't needed and can be ripped out if the dog spends a lot of time outdoors. Personally, I've owned plenty of dogs with dew claws and never had an issue. Belle has hers too thankfully.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Well, our mix breed EB/basset hound has his tail docked and dewclaws removed. They were done when we got them and we didn't have a choice in it. I thought it was silly to do either on him, but it didn't matter to me either way. Supposedly they're supposed to be done before the bones are solid and it it's not supposed to affect anything. Who knows. I hope Clyde never has problems from it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Normally people don't remove dew claws on bullies, at least they shouldn't.

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Davidh, I posted it after reading one reputable breeder's status update saying that her puppies were completely pissed and screaming their lungs out due to tail docking and dew claws removal :(.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.