Breeding using 2 studs

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly May Giggles, Mister Moe Wrinkles, Lil' Miss Jitterbug Wiggles and Calling All Angels Trudeaux
My female should be going in heat in a week and am just curious what everyone thinks of breeding using 2 studs. I know DNA will have to done to determine sire of each puppy and I am willing to pay for this cost. I have been toying with the idea and would like to know if anyone has used 2 studs to one female. My female is AKC and CKC registered and one of the studs is AKC and the other is CKC. What do y'all think?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Why would you do that? AKC is the standard club for purebred dogs in the US. If I knew my breeder did this, I wouldn't buy from her. Too easy to mislead potential buyers and I just wouldn't trust her.

Sorry, but the whole thing sounds shady to me. If I ever found out my breeder did this, (with a simple DNA test) I'd sue her since she advertised who the sire and dam were before the litter was even born.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
That does not even make sense. If your dog is AKC, why would you even want to breed to a non-AKC ? I, personally wouldn't buy from a "breeder" who has done that.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:whut?: .....Don't want to be mean, but :hellno:

OP
mommydanford

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly May Giggles, Mister Moe Wrinkles, Lil' Miss Jitterbug Wiggles and Calling All Angels Trudeaux
The reason for this question is not to mislead anyone or to be shady at all. That is not who I am. I simply asked if anyone had done this before. My reason is because my female is both AKC and CKC registered. My CKC male has produced puppies for me every single breeding and my AKC male has not. I want to be sure to have puppies because I have people who have purchased puppies from me previously who are wanting another and this will be my girls last breeding. I have heard of other breeders doing this before, and it is just a thought. I really don't want to rule out my AKC male as not being fertile because vets have told me he is, he just hasn't produced puppies yet. I will notify potential buyers that my female was bred with both males and will provide DNA documentation to them to prove which male is the father to their puppy. I don't breed puppies to just label them AKC or CKC. I breed for healthy puppies and don't imply that they are show quality, they are sold as pet quality to be lifelong companions. I feel like I am being bashed for simply asking a question, and that was not my intention.

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, we are not trying to be mean-but it WAS a very unusual question. It comes down to being totally your decision what you do. [MENTION=4362]mommydanford[/MENTION]

OP
mommydanford

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, just curious if the same responses would have been given if I had asked about breeding with 2 AKC males.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The reason for this question is not to mislead anyone or to be shady at all. That is not who I am. I simply asked if anyone had done this before. My reason is because my female is both AKC and CKC registered. My CKC male has produced puppies for me every single breeding and my AKC male has not. I want to be sure to have puppies because I have people who have purchased puppies from me previously who are wanting another and this will be my girls last breeding. I have heard of other breeders doing this before, and it is just a thought. I really don't want to rule out my AKC male as not being fertile because vets have told me he is, he just hasn't produced puppies yet. I will notify potential buyers that my female was bred with both males and will provide DNA documentation to them to prove which male is the father to their puppy. I don't breed puppies to just label them AKC or CKC. I breed for healthy puppies and don't imply that they are show quality, they are sold as pet quality to be lifelong companions. I feel like I am being bashed for simply asking a question, and that was not my intention.

Sorry if you feel bashed, but I gotta admit- the question caught us off guard.

Considering how many health issues these guys have, I'm on those people that believes in health testing both sire and dam so I'd very careful if I were go for a puppy again. Using two just feels deceptive, even if you let potential buyers now.

Also, in my head the only reason someone would register with CKS instead of AKC is because a. they don't want to pay AKC fees, or b. They don't qualify for AKC registration which raises other questions.
Neither one is good.

I'm not saying that's you, but that's what many people would think when researching breeders for a puppy.

OP
mommydanford

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I completely understand, I guess I worded my question wrong, but AKC is not the only registry and if there is a break in the AKC link then no they can't be AKC registered. I know that. All of my babies are very healthy and have been vet checked and all of my litters are also very healthy. I also understand there are health issues with these dogs and they can arise at any time. My buyers are guaranteed quality not registry and mine are no different because they are not all AKC.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Thanks for asking though. I'm new to being a bully owner and this is a new topic for me and I'll research more on it to learn. Seeing the info and feedback is greatly appreciated by me for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
mommydanford

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No problem Canelospeeps, this question was bound to be asked by someone. I just wish I had gotten a little more advice to help with my decision "To do or not to do" :-)

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I don't know much about breeding but I do know that there is a slim risk for infection during insemination and it might also be stressful for the female. If you don't do insemination and let them mate normally I'd be careful too as the female could possibly be sore from previous time and not even want to mate since she already did. I would personally go for the best suited male, the one that together with the female would better the breed, the one with the best hips, the one that has the best temperament, breathing and seems healthiest over all.

Me and my husband once went to a very respected Boerboel breeder here in South Africa, she explained how she chooses males for her females. Not always is the best male and female the best for bettering the breed, no dog is perfect, but she breeds to get the best out of both male and female regarding health, temperament and looks.

Breeding is such a big responsibility, it's your females health and sometimes life that's at stake. I would not use two different males, I've never heard of anyone who does and I spend quite a lot of time reading about it as I often times try to make people around me rethink when they say they want to breed their dog "just because". Here in South Africa we have a huge amount of unwanted dogs in rescues:(

I'm writing this with the best of intentions, I want things to go well for you and most of all for your bulldog and possible puppies:)

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
I don't know much about breeding but I do know that there is a slim risk for infection during insemination and it might also be stressful for the female. If you don't do insemination and let them mate normally I'd be careful too as the female could possibly be sore from previous time and not even want to mate since she already did. I would personally go for the best suited male, the one that together with the female would better the breed, the one with the best hips, the one that has the best temperament, breathing and seems healthiest over all.

Me and my husband once went to a very respected Boerboel breeder here in South Africa, she explained how she chooses males for her females. Not always is the best male and female the best for bettering the breed, no dog is perfect, but she breeds to get the best out of both male and female regarding health, temperament and looks.

Breeding is such a big responsibility, it's your females health and sometimes life that's at stake. I would not use two different males, I've never heard of anyone who does and I spend quite a lot of time reading about it as I often times try to make people around me rethink when they say they want to breed their dog "just because". Here in South Africa we have a huge amount of unwanted dogs in rescues:(

I'm writing this with the best of intentions, I want things to go well for you and most of all for your bulldog and possible puppies:)
:goodpost:

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I am no breeder and do not know CKC. Ours pups came with AKC papers. We filled them out and sent them in. If a pup is CKC are they discounts at a third of the normal price? A buddy of mine is interested in buying a Bulldog but not in the position to spend $2500-$3000 price. He will be glad to know this is an option.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.