Breeders selling "mini-English bulldogs"...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The AKC does not have a registry for Mini Bulldogs. AKC has English Bulldog registry. They just come in various sizes-but there is a standard for AKC shows.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Finally, Ellie, you nailed exactly what I was trying to get across. I think you are right and unhealthy dogs should never be bred.

<snip>

This is exactly what needs to stop

I'm going to type something very controversial here...

In my opinion... what makes an English Bulldog is what makes it unhealthy. So, if we really want to stop breeding unhealthy dogs, we should stop breeding AKC standard English Bulldogs altogether. The combination of the short nose, big head, big chest, short legs that makes the AKC standard English Bulldog breed is the leading cause of its unhealthiness. It just can't get the optimum oxygen intake through its short nose to power its powerful body.

But, we love the EB... so, with its ownership comes great responsibility - to compensate for that physical deficiency with optimum combination of proper nutrition, proper exercise, proper grooming, as well as proper environmental conditions. If one can't commit to this responsibility, then one shouldn't get an EB... they can go look at Labradors and Retrievers or some such that are not as health sensitive.

My rescue EB, Angus, is an AKC dog, but his breeder is specifically breeding for something he calls the Amitola EB... he is veering off AKC show standard to improve the health of his EB's. So, Angus has a slightly longer nose and narrower chest and is a smaller dog. He still has that goofy, stubborn EB personality but he is a highly active dog with the energy more like a Labrador than the EB - he could even swim to retrieve a stick from the middle of the pond.

Just my 2 cents.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Daisy isnt an mini-english bulldog. But she is considered a mini bulldog. Shes 3/4 English and 1/4 pug. And i think i got lucky. She doesn't have too many of the common EB issues but lord have mercy her personality is all EBD.
66392d659301967fcc3d3abce605223c.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Still so happy to know that you and Daisy are together! [MENTION=8883]Sheena[/MENTION]

Tuneybuster

Oct 7, 2014
I have seen some very sad cases where the breeding to come up with a smaller version of BD turn out some terrible problems as far as body structure. I have seen bullies with a wide chest and very short front legs and standard rear legs causing the dog to have serious orthopedic problems causing them pain just to walk. Don't buy into the " mini" craze. Bullies are not built to be mini.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Our Buttercup weighs ~35 lbs. We adopted her around age 3 so I don't know anything about her breeding, but other than her size she sure does look like an EB and not a mix. She has allergies that are much better after switching her food and most of her health problems so far, including occasional head tremors, seem to correlate with her allergies. She is absolutely adorable (I know I'm her mama, but she is one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen!) and seems to have many typical EB personality traits. That said, I would never suggest breeding a dog with her allergy problems and certainly would not pay a thousands of dollars to adopt her, since we're sure to end up spending that money for veterinary care over her lifetime!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.