Breeders selling "mini-English bulldogs"...

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
I get asked if Hank is a mini or a puppy or sometimes a Boston Terrier. He is 43 pounds roughly. He has skin issues. Lulu is just over 35 pounds. She is white with chronic ear infection and has had her tail amputated at some point. Dulce was 32pounds at her heaviest and was unable to carry puppies. Out Midge was 25 at her heaviest and we will never know her history. Her size was most likely due to the cleft palate. When people ask me about minis I tell them that mine are just small for the standard. I can't say that the small ones have more issues for sure, but I would stay away from someone who claimed to breed minis. Just my gut. image.jpg

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
What's interesting is that the breeder I found claims that the "typical" bully issues usually come from their large size. Hmmm, interesting perspectives here. I appreciate all of the opinions.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
My Wheezie is called a mini or hybrid..There are no such things as minis in my opinion. She is 1/2 French 1/2 English and is 52 lbs.She is shorter than her OE brother by quite a bit and solo cute.She is registered through a Hybrid club.She has totally control over her ears and can stand them straight up.They said she'd be about 40-45 lbs.
7c045d1a3cfa625483d561c70e292e02.jpg
fe354d5dcf1774a590020d19db95602b.jpg

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
What's interesting is that the breeder I found claims that the "typical" bully issues usually come from their large size. Hmmm, interesting perspectives here. I appreciate all of the opinions.

I think that claim has got to be false. Most OEs are a bit bigger to substantially bigger than a EB....I think they are the closest mix/hybid to an EB and they do not have as many health issues.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
It is sometimes very worrying to hear said that this and that is typical of bullies....A lot less would be typical of bullies if bullies with these traits would not be bred.

My thoughts EXACTLY. !!!! Well said, and needed to be said.
What is thought of as "typical" is what the vast mass media shows and portrays as the "normal" EBD with "these/those" problems.

The only reason bulldogs HAVE these problems is because bad breeders caused them. Cattle ranchers cull their herd. Bad breeders SELL their's...

My opinion...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think you are missing the point of my comment when I say "typical". Most bullies have allergies, even those from the best breeders. Quite frankly, I'm kinda over this whole discussion.

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
I think you are missing the point of my comment when I say "typical". Most bullies have allergies, even those from the best breeders. Quite frankly, I'm kinda over this whole discussion.
I agree with@brutus77 . Many people on this site have rescue bulldogs, many warn people thinking about getting one to do their homework about all their typical issues before getting one. Many come here because they need help or advice because of a "typical" bulldog issue. They will more often than not have bad ears , eyes and allergies. We have 2 bullys, both have issues. I have said a few times Winston never should have been bred and he was a stud in his previous home. He was a mess when we got him, he has traits that I'm sure were passed on sadly. Trigger was a puppy who was labeled "unbreedable" so he was discarded. I feel it is far more common to see/hear about bullys with issues then not. Do I wish back yard breeders would stop? Yes. I really do. However, I know people who did spend 2-3k for a pup from very well known breeder who turns out sicker then my back yard pups. You never know what your getting. Good luck all!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think there's a misunderstanding here..
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I absolutely agree with you that bulldogs with any type of health issue should not be bred. I've been talking to friends who work for rescues, wondering how to start my own non-profit organization that registers crappy breeders and pet stores. Holding them financially responsible for poor breeding and putting their sorry butts out of business!

When I think of all the issues Blue's allergies cause, and I see how uncomfortable he is, my heart just breaks.
It's also a huge financial responsibility. The testing, medications, allergy therapy, constant infections caused by allergies.. etc. Most people can't afford these kinds of bills. Others go into debt trying to help their dogs. Either way, this should not be happening. And yes, I blame poor breeding and not enough health testing.

But, I also understand what [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] is saying.
In the U.S these are (unfortunate as it is) typical bulldog issues. We just try to control them with proper nutrition, and medication. Most of us haven't had a bulldog without any health issues so this is "normal" to us.

I think the question becomes do we just accept it like we've been doing, or do we try to change it. But trying to change it will most definitely change the breed standard as well. Aside from allergies, they also have breathing and joint issues. While these problems can be hereditary, they're also part of the bulldogs physiology. Are we ready to change that too? Because we can't be for one, and not the other.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I have no idea where this question would be most appropriate; however, I figure I'd post it here. I am in communication with a breeder (NOT a "mini" breeder) and her response to my question about whether the bully comes with her AKC papers is this:

"I am a breeder of merit which means I send all the paperwork to register all the puppies myself, so you do have to write a check to AKC for that to be done but it's given to me and we fill it all out together and I mail it to AKC and they forward all paperwork to the new owner."

Is this unusual?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
hmm.. the breeder does register the litter. When you buy a puppy, the breeder gives you a number that you use to register that puppy to you. You can either mail in the paperwork, or do it online which is what we did and it was very easy.
I don't remember if we paid anything or not to AKC though. But I didn't pay anything to my breeder for registering with AKC.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think there's a misunderstanding here..
@RiiSi I absolutely agree with you that bulldogs with any type of health issue should not be bred. I've been talking to friends who work for rescues, wondering how to start my own non-profit organization that registers crappy breeders and pet stores. Holding them financially responsible for poor breeding and putting their sorry butts out of business!

When I think of all the issues Blue's allergies cause, and I see how uncomfortable he is, my heart just breaks.
It's also a huge financial responsibility. The testing, medications, allergy therapy, constant infections caused by allergies.. etc. Most people can't afford these kinds of bills. Others go into debt trying to help their dogs. Either way, this should not be happening. And yes, I blame poor breeding and not enough health testing.

But, I also understand what @brutus77 is saying.
In the U.S these are (unfortunate as it is) typical bulldog issues. We just try to control them with proper nutrition, and medication. Most of us haven't had a bulldog without any health issues so this is "normal" to us.

I think the question becomes do we just accept it like we've been doing, or do we try to change it. But trying to change it will most definitely change the breed standard as well. Aside from allergies, they also have breathing and joint issues. While these problems can be hereditary, they're also part of the bulldogs physiology. Are we ready to change that too? Because we can't be for one, and not the other.
Finally, Ellie, you nailed exactly what I was trying to get across. I think you are right and unhealthy dogs should never be bred. I posted on FB about this today. My daughter was at the mall and this atrocious pet store was selling english bulldog pups for $3,500. Of course we all know these poor babies are from back yard breeders. This is exactly what needs to stop

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
hmm.. the breeder does register the litter. When you buy a puppy, the breeder gives you a number that you use to register that puppy to you. You can either mail in the paperwork, or do it online which is what we did and it was very easy.
I don't remember if we paid anything or not to AKC though. But I didn't pay anything to my breeder for registering with AKC.

Thank you! I decided to go with another breeder. I am getting her tomorrow! I wonder if I'll actually sleep tonight.... :no:

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! I decided to go with another breeder. I am getting her tomorrow! I wonder if I'll actually sleep tonight.... :no:
Probably not. Congrats on your new baby! Post lots of pics.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Congrats [MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION]! No you will not sleep a wink. :D

This has been a very interesting read.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Not sure how true this is, but just few days ago I read an article saying that there really is no mini-EBs, that the breeders just cross breed them with pugs and then back to EBs. Once again, not sure how true this is, but if it is true, this may mean that the breed may have a wider range of health problems, from both sides: EBs and pugs. When you cross two health-wise problematic breeds, I think the outcome may not be so good.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.