Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breeders selling "mini-English bulldogs"...

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Breeders selling "mini-English bulldogs"...

hmm.. the breeder does register the litter. When you buy a puppy, the breeder gives you a number that you use to register that puppy to you. You can either mail in the paperwork, or do it online which is what we did and it was very easy.
    I don't remember if we paid anything or not to AKC though. But I didn't pay anything to my breeder for registering with AKC.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    I think there's a misunderstanding here..
    @RiiSi I absolutely agree with you that bulldogs with any type of health issue should not be bred. I've been talking to friends who work for rescues, wondering how to start my own non-profit organization that registers crappy breeders and pet stores. Holding them financially responsible for poor breeding and putting their sorry butts out of business!

When I think of all the issues Blue's allergies cause, and I see how uncomfortable he is, my heart just breaks.
    It's also a huge financial responsibility. The testing, medications, allergy therapy, constant infections caused by allergies.. etc. Most people can't afford these kinds of bills. Others go into debt trying to help their dogs. Either way, this should not be happening. And yes, I blame poor breeding and not enough health testing.

But, I also understand what @brutus77 is saying.
    In the U.S these are (unfortunate as it is) typical bulldog issues. We just try to control them with proper nutrition, and medication. Most of us haven't had a bulldog without any health issues so this is "normal" to us.

I think the question becomes do we just accept it like we've been doing, or do we try to change it. But trying to change it will most definitely change the breed standard as well. Aside from allergies, they also have breathing and joint issues. While these problems can be hereditary, they're also part of the bulldogs physiology. Are we ready to change that too? Because we can't be for one, and not the other.
    Finally, Ellie, you nailed exactly what I was trying to get across. I think you are right and unhealthy dogs should never be bred. I posted on FB about this today. My daughter was at the mall and this atrocious pet store was selling english bulldog pups for $3,500. Of course we all know these poor babies are from back yard breeders. This is exactly what needs to stop
    My smooshy face boy!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    hmm.. the breeder does register the litter. When you buy a puppy, the breeder gives you a number that you use to register that puppy to you. You can either mail in the paperwork, or do it online which is what we did and it was very easy.
    I don't remember if we paid anything or not to AKC though. But I didn't pay anything to my breeder for registering with AKC.

Thank you! I decided to go with another breeder. I am getting her tomorrow! I wonder if I'll actually sleep tonight....

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
    Thank you! I decided to go with another breeder. I am getting her tomorrow! I wonder if I'll actually sleep tonight....
    Probably not. Congrats on your new baby! Post lots of pics.
    My smooshy face boy!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)

Congrats @Cali Doll! No you will not sleep a wink.

This has been a very interesting read.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Country
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Not sure how true this is, but just few days ago I read an article saying that there really is no mini-EBs, that the breeders just cross breed them with pugs and then back to EBs. Once again, not sure how true this is, but if it is true, this may mean that the breed may have a wider range of health problems, from both sides: EBs and pugs. When you cross two health-wise problematic breeds, I think the outcome may not be so good.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

The AKC does not have a registry for Mini Bulldogs. AKC has English Bulldog registry. They just come in various sizes-but there is a standard for AKC shows.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Finally, Ellie, you nailed exactly what I was trying to get across. I think you are right and unhealthy dogs should never be bred.

<snip>

This is exactly what needs to stop
    I'm going to type something very controversial here...

In my opinion... what makes an English Bulldog is what makes it unhealthy. So, if we really want to stop breeding unhealthy dogs, we should stop breeding AKC standard English Bulldogs altogether. The combination of the short nose, big head, big chest, short legs that makes the AKC standard English Bulldog breed is the leading cause of its unhealthiness. It just can't get the optimum oxygen intake through its short nose to power its powerful body.

But, we love the EB... so, with its ownership comes great responsibility - to compensate for that physical deficiency with optimum combination of proper nutrition, proper exercise, proper grooming, as well as proper environmental conditions. If one can't commit to this responsibility, then one shouldn't get an EB... they can go look at Labradors and Retrievers or some such that are not as health sensitive.

My rescue EB, Angus, is an AKC dog, but his breeder is specifically breeding for something he calls the Amitola EB... he is veering off AKC show standard to improve the health of his EB's. So, Angus has a slightly longer nose and narrower chest and is a smaller dog. He still has that goofy, stubborn EB personality but he is a highly active dog with the energy more like a Labrador than the EB - he could even swim to retrieve a stick from the middle of the pond.

Just my 2 cents.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Daisy isnt an mini-english bulldog. But she is considered a mini bulldog. Shes 3/4 English and 1/4 pug. And i think i got lucky. She doesn't have too many of the common EB issues but lord have mercy her personality is all EBD.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Still so happy to know that you and Daisy are together! @Sheena
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Still so happy to know that you and Daisy are together! @Sheena
    Thank you sooooo much 💟

I have seen some very sad cases where the breeding to come up with a smaller version of BD turn out some terrible problems as far as body structure. I have seen bullies with a wide chest and very short front legs and standard rear legs causing the dog to have serious orthopedic problems causing them pain just to walk. Don't buy into the " mini" craze. Bullies are not built to be mini.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads