Breeders selling "mini-English bulldogs"...

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I've noticed there are some EB breeders who are selling mini-EBs. The minis don't get larger than 30-40 pounds and are a little shorter than standard EBs.

Do you guys have any good, bad, or indifferent thoughts about these EB minis?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Personally with what I've read, I would stay away from anyone trying to breed mini's. There is a lot of controversy over this. Some say they have bred down size intentionally, using the runts of litters. The runts are not the most robust of puppies many times so this has been said to bring out many health issues. Other rumors are they are cross bred with other breeds to make them smaller in size.

Regular EBs can also be small even when their parents and littermates are bigger. I really would research this more and find a breeder who breeds for health first and foremost, and tries to breed to the EB standard. Finding a good EB breeder is not easy, but interview them and hopefully you will find a great one. You can check out the puppy buying tips for more help on finding a great breeder.

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Puppy Buying Tips

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Don't fall into this trap. There really isn't a such thing as a mini bulldog. They do try to breed down the size. My Brutus is a "mini" and he weighs 62lbs, and is just a touch shorter than his Victorian Bulldog brother Frankie.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Personally with what I've read, I would stay away from anyone trying to breed mini's. There is a lot of controversy over this. Some say they have bred down size intentionally, using the runts of litters. The runts are not the most robust of puppies many times so this has been said to bring out many health issues. Other rumors are they are cross bred with other breeds to make them smaller in size.

Regular EBs can also be small even when their parents and littermates are bigger. I really would research this more and find a breeder who breeds for health first and foremost, and tries to breed to the EB standard. Finding a good EB breeder is not easy, but interview them and hopefully you will find a great one. You can check out the puppy buying tips for more help on finding a great breeder.

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Puppy Buying Tips

agreed! :up:

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Excellent! Thank you guys for the info/tips. I really appreciate it. Actually, I didn't want to adopt a mini, but I was curious since I kept running into this same mini-EB breeder. I really appreciate it, guys.

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
I have a so called mini bulldog my first dog named Tyson . I got him from a breeder in Ohio . When I first started doing my research on bulldogs I didn't realize the difference between the purebred bulldog and the mixed bulldog. I was foolish in the beginning not researching further . I was disappointed at first because I felt cheated because my bulldog was the opposite of what I been reading . The temperament and characteristics. Everything about them. I did my homework carefully and got me a female puppy English Bulldog in August. She is what I been reading about in all the books and research on line . The breeder was excellent I visited her home and she was close by and visited my puppy before I bought her home. What I'm trying to say is mixing the breed with something else to me messes up the chemistry and you won't know what your getting. The first breeder I had in Ohio was a backyard breeder and he wasn't very honest but he was breeding for the $ not for the better of the breed

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus is a typical bulldog, but I think I got lucky. He does have alot of issues as far as allergies and ear infections, but that is also typical of bullies.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It is sometimes very worrying to hear said that this and that is typical of bullies....A lot less would be typical of bullies if bullies with these traits would not be bred.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is sometimes very worrying to hear said that this and that is typical of bullies....A lot less would be typical of bullies if bullies with these traits would not be bred.

so true....

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When I say Brutus is a typical bulldog, I mean his personality and such. Also, the majority of people on this site have similar health problems with their bulldogs. Ear infections and allergies are very common in bulldogs regardless of breeding.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
When I say Brutus is a typical bulldog, I mean his personality and such. Also, the majority of people on this site have similar health problems with their bulldogs. Ear infections and allergies are very common in bulldogs regardless of breeding.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree on that. In my opinion if you do breed only bullies that have no allergies and are not prone to ear infections, the likelyhood is that you get bullys with less allergies and ear infections. A lot of people don't think that allergies and ear infections are such a bad health problem, so why not breed those bullys. Bullys proper rose ears are not the type of ears that are prone to infections, but combine it with allergies and maybe faulty floppy ears and voilá. And coming back to the subject....with these rare colour or mini bulldog breeders it's all about the money they can get for breeding something different. If you have a " rare colour " gene or if it's a small bully, who cares about the rest.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
While I understand what you are saying, I challenge you to go through this site and show me how many bulldogs have proper rose ears. I agree that lots of breeders are out there for the money, but I think saying who cares about the rest is extreme. Just for the record, I love Brutus' faulty, floppy ears.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm not saying a bulldog with floppy ears is not as lovable as the one with rose ears, but floppy ears just are more susceptible to get infections, just like the floppy ears of a breed that is supposed to have floppy ears. The breeds that have floppy ears have to have their hair in their ears trimmed, but my guess is that a very few if anyone with a floppy eared bulldog trims the hairs in their bullys ears, even though there is less hairs in bullys ears than for example spaniels.

While I understand what you are saying, I challenge you to go through this site and show me how many bulldogs have proper rose ears. I agree that lots of breeders are out there for the money, but I think saying who cares about the rest is extreme. Just for the record, I love Brutus' faulty, floppy ears.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online