Looking to get started showing, but don't know where to start!

Colonelmustard

Dec 8, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel Mustard
Hey everyone!
Well Colonel Mustard is officially one year old and packing on some extra pounds now that the snow and cold weather is here!
Recently (since is slight weight gain of 4 whole pounds) we have been getting more and more comments and people starting conversations with us about showing him. It's not something we have ever really considered but kind of always had it in the back of our minds.

We started doing research online over the holiday weekend (with all of our wonderful free time hanging out at home in our PJ's!) and to me it seems like there is SO MUCH to take in, but then, not really all at the same time!

I would love some insight from anyone that shows, how did you get started? What are things you wish you could tell your past self about showing your dog? Lessons Learned? Costs associated with showing? We would like to actually go to a couple shows first to scope out the scene, but don't even know where to begin there! Is it free to watch? Is a good resource simply googling "Dog shows" and my zip code?

Thanks so much everyone! Wish us luck!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well the first thing is find a bulldog club close to you and go to their meetings and meet them. They can tell you where to go to get some confirmation classes. Take your bully to as many classes as you can until you get the hang of it. You will be training the both of you at the same time. We have a place here that is about a 45 minute drive for me and I have been taking Henri there, and will start taking Katie there pretty soon for some good practice. Then find some B match shows to practice with. Once you and your bully get pretty good, then register for some shows and go out and have some fun. Here is a site where you can see what shows are close to you and you can register for them there too.

Jack Onofrio Dog Shows, LLC | Welcome

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice from David! Good luck!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

You have already made the first step in reaching out to learn about showing. Showing any type of animal is very fun, challenging and rewarding. Like many who were involved in 4H clubs or other Agri clubs, learning about animal husbandry, and the proper care for an animal is the start to getting ready to show.

I agree with what David said...(man he always beats me to the punch !), find local clubs or groups and go watch. Of course take your dog with you to see how your dog reacts around other dogs and people. There might be a training issue just associated with that step. Be bold enough to introduce yourself and ask for help. Sadly what you will find is that MANY breeders, handlers, and trainers are VERY snobish and will not, won't want to help you at all. COMPETITION ? But keep looking around and you will find a few that will be willing to help.

Take lessons for YOU and your dog. Practice often what you have learned at home...often. Be open to advice and criticism...

I showed amature with Arabian Horses for 20+ years and did very well....so when I decided to show my first bullie puppy, I thought, no prob, I got this. I went to several local and even a national show in Las Vegas. I was ready !

Went to my first local show, entered the ring, did what was told. No ribbon... :ashamed: Left the ring, and was met by the breeder/trainer/handler that I met in Vegas. She walked me about 30 yards away and asked me; "What the hell are you doing? Do you even know what you are doing or suppose to do?".....ahhh, well the truth hurts. I said, "No, I don't, can you please help me?" She called over several other "National Handlers" that gave me some intense quick training before my next class. Next class, "3rd place ribbon" :w00t: . After the fiasco, I found a trainer who was a breeder, National handler, Trainer and Judge for 40 years and took lesson for 6 months (2x @ month). Now I feel very confident when I go into the ring, and even win a few Blue ribbons along the way.

Point: Find someone to train you who shows Bulldogs!, Take lessons. Practice....Practice. Don't be afraid of failure or embarrassment, and learn from it.
Try, Fail, Try again, Fail better.

Good Luck, have FUN :yes:

OP
C

Colonelmustard

Dec 8, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel Mustard
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get out there and experience this whole new world! We may need to do some training with Colonel about how to calmly behave around people and other dogs, currently EVERYONE IS A NEW FRIEND THAT HE NEEDS TO PLAY WITH RIGHT THIS MINUTE!

Most Reactions