Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Why do Bulldogs cost so much?

Breeding

Bulldogs are a very popular and photogenic breed. Bulldogs also have that great and beautiful look whether they are a puppy or adult; it's one breed that looks great at any age. Bulldogs usually (90%) of the time require a c-section for delivery of the puppies and artificial insemination to breed.

The cost to a breeder for a litter can run between 1500-3000 dollars (not counting there time). Litter size average is 4. The Cost for a c-section, usually about 500.00- 750.00 assuming it is during normal vet hours. After hours, weekends and holidays will run extra. A cost to breed the dog is usually around 500.00 for the semen/stud service plus shipping if applies.. Additionally there is the bitch pre breeding tests, exams, x-rays, ultra sounds and the like.

Then when a litter is born most of the time they must be hand helped when feed. A breeder will spend every few hours with the litter and mother during feeding 24 hours a day for several days. Bulldogs don't make the best mothers because they may lay on a puppy on accident and not even realize it. There is other reasons besides that but litters are at least human assisted for many days around the clock.

C-sections for bulldogs is required for several reasons like: high rates of water puppies which can't pass through the birth canal, large head and shoulders of the puppies, stress and heat factors may cause a bulldog trouble, the ability to "PUSH" out a full litter is often to much on a bulldog and other factors. It is very time consuming compared to other breeds where every thing is taken care of by the male and female dog including the birth and delivery and raising of the litter.

This is a special breed which requires the help of humans to bring a litter to 8 weeks of age. There worth every penny and once you have been owned by bulldog you could never again be without one. Most breeders sell quality pet bulldogs for between 1400-2000.00 and you can expect the breeder to be there for you with help when needed and to know what the past litters and the breeders stock shows in health problems,etc.

A good breeder will also want to keep track of the pup and will also offer you a contract to protect you both and make sure your dog is healthy or will explain its conditions. Bulldogs are very special dogs and people who own them are just as special. I want to stress that NEVER***NEVER***NEVER*** should you buy a puppy on discounted price with the understanding that you will breed and give back a whole litter of puppies to the breeder in exchange of a reduced rate of buying a bulldog from them originally.

That is pure and simple robbery and any breeder who try's to offer you that should be reported to the AKC, BCA and other sources. That is completely and fully wrong. (When I use the word breeder I do it very loosely) in this case. It is acceptable practice in some cases to allow a single puppy or two back as part of a deal and if you agree to that or your ask to do that it is fine and normal in some cases. It is also becoming more and more less popular to own a dog under CO-ownership, while it is still done and there is some benefit to it, many won't do it and recently has become less and less accepted.

Never buy a Bulldog with registry from any source other than AKC (in the USA). Other registry groups have less standards and who knows what you may end up with, mixed breeds or something like that as there is no track record of pedigree. If your wanting a bulldog then get a bulldog, don't accept anything less, the breed is expensive and may cost you more down the road with cherry eye surgery, patella, palate surgery,etc. So try and get a healthy bulldog from a well known breeder or breeder who loves the breed and it will show when you meet or talk with them.

They can answer any question and be very honest with you. The goal is to improve the breed, provide healthy and beautiful puppies that fall in the standard and ones to be proud to have offered. Stay clear of pet stores as they often inflate the prices by as much as 1500.00 or more and the dogs come from puppymills and often show health problems later in life. You have saved up and researched the breed then wait for the perfect bull before buying, the good part of the bulldog is that the high price often keeps people from just buying on impulse without knowing what there getting into.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good article.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
Very well written to explain.
Yes...accurate with most all of above. The costs can vary from state to state. Here in Az, the vet I use costs me $1400 for c-section. I have breeder friends in Cali that are in the $600-$750 range. I would expand that the time for a new litter is 24x7, and we do it for a full 2 weeks. We take shifts and have converted a room in our house to the puppy room with a TV, futon and mini fridge so we hang out there for a full 2 weeks. It is VERY time consuming but rewarding to never loose a puppy to smothering by momma dog.

My only other opinion is that there are very good breeders around the world that have outstanding bloodlines, World CH and INT Ch dogs and the foreign registry are equal to the AKC. Being cautions about buying from ANYONE requires due diligence to research and ask questions!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online