Looking to breed my bully

kittykittymeow4

Oct 2, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
I wanna breed my 2 year old bully and don't know where to start.
He would be the stud as he is a male.
He's a perfect dog honestly and I want to continue is blood line. I don't want the money I more or less want a pick of the litter

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Just recently there was a loss of entire litter of babies and EBNer's hearts are broken :(
Unless you stud out to experienced breeder w/experienced vet, do genetic testing, etc
I'd recommend against it...GOD bless!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello,

I know many people feel the same as you in wanting to have a puppy from a litter in exchange for stud service, but in reality it would be very hard to do.

Even many well know champion sires only charge $500 to $1000 for semen and AI services, so getting the pick of a litter would be unlikely. The amount of work, cost and care that goes into a litter is a gamble to begin with. You are much better off finding another great pup from a good, solid, reputable breeder, because no reputable breeder would likely do this type of exchange. First off, breeders want to know what is in their lines. Without history of your bulldog and all health issues and recorded, and pups he has already had, a reputable breeder would not even consider using an unknown stud.

So short of finding some random female who may or may not be qualified to have a litter and working up a deal----which I would deeply advise against---- it is going to be very difficult to even find interest. If you go that route you are putting the female's life in danger if the person who will be caring for the pups does not know what they are doing. Breeding bulldogs is not easy.

Please read more about bulldog breeding in this article to further understand how difficult it is: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?291-About-Bulldog-Breeding-Learn-What-It-Takes

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] gave great advice and info. If you really want to stud him out, then do the testing on him and put him in the show ring. Once he becomes a champion, you will have a better chance of a reputable breeder even looking at him. But like Lisa said, they will not give you pick of the litter, just a stud fee. If he is not champion material, then in my opinion he should not be breed, plus if he has something bad in his history that can be passed down to his off spring, then he should not be used as a stud either. Do you homework and study his past bloodline, and if everything looks good there, then either show him yourself or hire a handler.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Take him to a local bulldog club for evaluation -pretty looks are not everything - he should be within a standard with no faults
Next do a dna type health test to ensure he's not a huu carder , optional teats but also recommended are ones for hips
Also stud and female should have as lowest percentage of inbreeding as possible and should compliment each other (im not talking here about pretty faces neither) to hopefully produce healthy and up to standard litter

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Kittykitty's pup, Diesel, isn't English Bulldog. Maybe Old English, or mix?
Are the standards for breeding the same?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] No, there are no standards for mix breeds and they should not be bred. Old English are not recognized by AKC, so they are not a pure breed either.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
@Blueberrys Mom No, there are no standards for mix breeds and they should not be bred. Old English are not recognized by AKC, so they are not a pure breed either.

Olde English Bulldogge is a fairly new breed which was created for the purpose of undoing some of the health issues of EBs. Olde English are usually International Olde English Bulldogge Association (IOEBA) registered and is a wonderful breed! Mix of olde English and English is called foundational dogs or F1 (50-50%), F2, F3 and F4 is considered to be a generational olde. Foundational (F) oldies are VERY MUCH used in breeding. However, I like others, would only support a very thought through responsible breeding, with health tests of parents.

Members online

No members online now.