Small Puppy

Beckyboo

May 31, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
Hi all,

this is the first time I have posted and hope you don't mind me starting with a few of questions.

We have a litter of puppies now 15 days old, one of the girls is very small, she is feeding well and gaining weight but slower gaining than the rest, she seems very content and does enjoy her feeds, the problem is she breaths quite fast and heavy as if putting effort in, she is quite flat on the chest and in the center of her chest it sinks right in when she’s breathing, her eyes are still closed too.

I’m watching her round the clock but with the others been so much bigger and stronger I feel my heart is breaking daily, do any of you have experience in this and the possible causes, she has been on a full course of antibiotics but no difference.

The others are weighing in at around 8-900g and our little pea is only 436g
Thanks for reading.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like possible swimmer puppy syndrome, do you have them on a very lumpy bedding? If it's swimmer you will need to work fast to rectify it , first being not allowing her to lay flat. You can build a corral with two walls that will keep legs and arms under her, not allowing her to in a flat position. All bedding should be very lumpy, with hills and dips. This helps build muscles and prevents swimmer puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Some of breeders use rolled up socks and put them under the bedding for the "lumpiness"
I would also suggest maybe giving the weakest pup a go on all the boobs to get the richest milk first before other pups

OP
Beckyboo

Beckyboo

May 31, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
Thank you and yes always the first feeder, when shes done i clean her and pop her back on so she gets the most out of feeds, will make a start and do all of the above, thank you so much x

OP
Beckyboo

Beckyboo

May 31, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
This is my little princess, bless her x
Sent from my RM-941_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• WP_20140704_001.jpg
    WP_20140704_001.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 195

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
This is my little princess, bless her x

Shes a beauty hun xx maybe shes falling asleep while feeding ? Have you tried to feed her on a rc puppy milk in between feeds

OP
Beckyboo

Beckyboo

May 31, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
Oh i do love her, just hope she makes it, really tough watching her breathing, i have been feeding all pups every hour and a half to make sure they get enough.
God its tough going and im exhausted but worth it.

Thank you xxx

OP
Beckyboo

Beckyboo

May 31, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
DSC_0058.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0059.jpg
    DSC_0059.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 166

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh i do love her, just hope she makes it, really tough watching her breathing, i have been feeding all pups every hour and a half to make sure they get enough.
God its tough going and im exhausted but worth it.

Thank you xxx

Do you have a mobile vet that can come assess her? Rapid breath is not a good sign, she is still eating without problems?

three tests to see if pup is fading: roll on back and if they do not try to resist or roll back over and just lay there this is a bad sign. They should at least struggle for a moment, instinctually.

Look into the mouth of this pup and one of the other pups, compare tongue and gum color, should be nice and pink. Fading or purplish means not enough oxygen. Also test syliva, should not be tacky.

Pinch the skin on the back of the neck , it should fall down quickly. If it stands the pup is dehydrated and not getting enough milk and fluids.

OP
Beckyboo

Beckyboo

May 31, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
Yes if shes on her back she kicks up a fuss, strong latch when feeding and colour fine, the vet said she might not make it and said her breathing was caused by the flat chest...she never cries.

I really don't know what to do for the best, in keeping her off her chest on her side and feeding her on side too.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes if shes on her back she kicks up a fuss, strong latch when feeding and colour fine, the vet said she might not make it and said her breathing was caused by the flat chest...she never cries.

I really don't know what to do for the best, in keeping her off her chest on her side and feeding her on side too.

All good signs. Do her legs splay out?

OP
Beckyboo

Beckyboo

May 31, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
No that's what has confused me with a swimmer, her back legs are like hooks, had this before from them been cramped up and they corrected, hers are getting better with the gentle exercises im doing.

Sent by Tapatalk

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Wishing you the best sounds like she is a fighter and will make all the effort worth while

OP
Beckyboo

Beckyboo

May 31, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
Awww thank you so much, she is a fighter that's for sure xx
Sent by Tapatalk

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to let you know she's beautiful and sending some prayers her way.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online