breeding question

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
how big are the litters that english bulldogs have ? when we bought buddha he had 7 brothers and sister. i want a grandbaby but the last thing i would want is for buddha mate with another english bulldog and have her have like 7 puppies and have to give them away. i get so freaked out with all these stories of bulldogs being sold and mistreated and not being taken good care of. i dont want to run the risk with buddhas babies. its such a touchy topic but i would love to have a littler dirt devil running around my house.

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
You can give a couple of them to me :):)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
As far as I know, it's impossible to say how big or small a litter's going to be. Sometimes it's 8, sometimes it's one.

I also think whomever owns the bitch would probably sell the pups- I doubt they would give them away :). The cost of having a litter of bulldogs is not cheap.
Also, unless you know for a fact your dog's healthy, (have you had his hips tested? any heart murmurs?, is the bitch healthy?) I wouldn't breed.

But, I do know how you feel. I would love to have another little Blueberry running around. Had the chance to breed him too but I passed.
Too many typical bulldog health issues for me. I didn't want to take the chance of him passing anything down.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They usually have 6 to 8 in a litter. But please reconsider breeding just to get one. So many people do this without researching both pedigrees of the bullies being bred. This is were we get so many health problems. Breeding should be planned out and research done to make sure you are breeding to better the breed. Careful consideration of genetics should also be researched. Then there is the expense of breeding. Bullies need to be artificially inseminated and the pups need to be taken by C-section. An average litter can cost around $3000.00 to $4000.00. Not to mention the risk you take of losing the mama and all the pups if something goes wrong, and it does from time to time. You need a very good bully vet to to the C-section as well. Then once they are born, you need to feed them every two hours. You can not leave the pups with their mama except to eat, then they are separated. The mama can lay on them and smother them if you are not careful. Plus never ever "give" them away, as most can end up in shelters or as "bait" dogs. These are dogs used to train fighting dogs and the "bait" dogs are torn to shreds and killed. I don't mean to sound harsh, but these are things to consider before breeding. Bullies are not like other dogs, where you just put two together and let nature take it's coarse.

OP
Brenda Janeth Solano
Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
Yea I know I really want a grandson but I probably won't do it unless it's guaranteed the she would only have one or two. I wouldn't want the puppies to end up anywhere besides with me.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
As far as I know, it's impossible to say how big or small a litter's going to be. Sometimes it's 8, sometimes it's one.

I also think whomever owns the bitch would probably sell the pups- I doubt they would give them away :). The cost of having a litter of bulldogs is not cheap.
Also, unless you know for a fact your dog's healthy, (have you had his hips tested? any heart murmurs?, is the bitch healthy?) I wouldn't breed.

But, I do know how you feel. I would love to have another little Blueberry running around. Had the chance to breed him too but I passed.
Too many typical bulldog health issues for me. I didn't want to take the chance of him passing anything down.

wow that dog is BEAUTIFUL! such great blue color in him! my puppy doesnt show the black or blue gene but she carries them. 4 of her brothers were born mostly black and the breeder wants to breed again to get the blues because her mom is a heavy carrier. would be so beautiful. sometimes i wonder i i should breed :fie:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.