How to breed

mshine92

Feb 5, 2014
Hi, I have an 8 month old english female and want to breed her. Anyone know what or where I should start?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Start by taking her to the vet for a check up, and if he knows Bulldogs, ask if he thinks she is breeding quality. Eight months is much to young to be breeding her.
I hope you realize that it is a lot of work and expense to breed an English Bulldog.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Do not breed her until at least her 3rd heat cycle. Plus you need to check her sire and dam and their history for any know health or temperament issues. She should be of show quality, and then you need to find a champion male to breed with. It takes a lot of money and time to breed bullies. You need to have them artificially inseminated, and take the pups by C-section. Then you have to feed them every 2 hours the first two weeks and can not leave mama in with the pups when they are not eating, or she could smother one or two. If you vet doesn't know what he is doing when it comes time to do the C-section, you can loose mama and all the pups. Breeding English Bulldogs is not to be taken lightly, and they are not like other dogs that you just throw together and let nature take its course. Read the article above to get some more info on it.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
You've gotten great information already:) If you have the time and money to breed your bulldog just please make sure she's healthy and not to young as it might be dangerous for her. Hip Dysplasia in bulldogs are so common, I read yesterday almost 3 out of 4 has some degree of HD. I've got 3 bullies and both my females have had the FHO surgery due to HD. Boeboe seemed like the healthiest Bulldog ever, but when she was almost 2 years old she developed Entropion in both her eyes and later that same year we found out she has Hip Dysplasia, and on top of that she got some kind of hormonal rash so we had to spay her due to it. It was hard emotionally and economically:( HD can be checked with x-rays and you can probably find out about other possible health issues by taking a good look at your bulldog's parents and talk to the breeder you got her from:)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I guess my first question would be 'Why do you want to breed her? Honestly !' you need to be totally honest with yourself here... Is it because she is so darn cute that you want another bully? (can I recommend rescues?) Is it because she cost you a pretty penny and you want to recoup that expense? (you are looking at investing ALOT more if you choose to TRY to breed her, imagine the expense of the Artificial Insemination and C-Secton and she might only produce 1 pup, $$$$$$) these are only a few questions, there really are alot more !

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi
Your baby is far to young she needs to be at least 14 month old. I have done both natural mating and artificial ... Artificial is 100% best for me

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.