Have you heard of BRUCELLOSIS ?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I see that the last post on this topic was back in 2010 in another thread. Considering that the disease is very dangerous and easily transmitted in a breeding program, why is it not a more talked about issue? Since it can be detected, testing is the right and proper thing to do in a breeding program. Along with HUU testing, the more breeders will do these test, the stronger the results of diminishing the effects and passing on the issue. Having the attitude of NIMBY is irresponsible as a breeder. It is not only problematic for dogs, but also other animals as well as transmitted to humans as well.

In Arab horses years ago was a condition called CID. At first horse owners did not want to test because of the fear of "what if?" But as the test and process evolved, better breeding decisions were made to manage, control and start to eradicate the problem; Knowing is better than not knowing

"For the frequency of a gene in a breed to be reduced, it is not necessary to remove from breeding all individuals possessing it. Such animals need only sire or produce fewer offspring than they would have done under random mating (if their status had not been known, in other words). That is almost certainly what will happen once this gene test is in widespread operation, and the gene's frequency in the breed will gradually decrease."

Knowing is better than not knowing. I really don't expect anyone to reply and say they have the disease. This is just more about FYI.

Good Day~

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
never heard of it

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You are right. It doesn't seem that Brucellosis testing is as common in dogs, as in bovine and equine breeders. A dog can actually contract it from breeding, or even sniffing the ground that was contaminated. Maybe most breeders DO have their animals tested.? Not being a breeder of dogs-I don't really know. I do know that if a dog contracts the disease-it will pass it on, and if not treated, it will have long term health affects-arthritis, and spinal problems and others I know that cattle are routinely tested, for Bang's disease (brucellosis bacteria)

Last edited:
OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi,
The disease has been controlled in cattle since 1970 and every commercial meat cow is treated and actually stamped. I would hate to see the problem spread among EBD's simply because of a lack-of-awareness.

Good Day~

OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi,

I saw a great chart on the BCA website that shows all of the tests for Bulldogs, what agency confirms the results, and even the approximate cost.

[h=2]BRUCELLOSIS and HUU are also listed on there.[/h]
Sorry, I don't have the link to the BCA, but is easy to find.

Good Day~

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
We had a litter of boxer puppies in 1985 under the supervision of the breeder that we got our girl from. She and the stud both had to be tested for Brucellosis before they could be bred. It is passed through breeding was my understanding.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
As someone who will be looking for a stud in the future (as I planning on breeding my pet girl when she is old enough...assuming she passes all her health tests: hips, elbows, heart, eyes & brucellosis), I have been very curious about it, too. I have many bulldogge breeders friended on facebook, so I just asked about it. I am curious if they would be willing to talk about it, or will just promptly ignore it (if they do not test, I'd imagine that would be the reaction). Feel free to post a comment on my post about it with your opinion on how important you think it is (if breeders will hear about it from more people they will take it more seriously) https://www.facebook.com/rirdan . I posted the question just few minutes ago, we will see if anyone is brave enough to open this 'can of worms' and welcome discussion of the topic ;). It is particularly important since it is a zoonotic disease.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I believe that if you are going to go through all the expense of breeding,ceasarian,all puppy care, and many hours of lost sleep, it is worth your while to breed to a stud that has had ALL the health testing. If the breeding fee cost more-so be it.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I'm not a breeder, but if I was, I would never breed any dog without having a brucellosis test on both male and female first. I think it would be irresponsible to do so and I think any experienced breeder would agree.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I'm not a breeder, but if I was, I would never breed any dog without having a brucellosis test on both male and female first. I think it would be irresponsible to do so and I think any experienced breeder would agree.

Well, it looks like this is not the case, unfortunately. While doing my research into the breed of English bulldog and olde English bulldogge, I have friended over a couple of dozen of what considered to be good reputable breeders of both breeds on Facebook. Earlier today I posted a question about whether studs get tested for brucellosis prior to being open for stud services and so far I've got zero replies from the breeders. I interpret the silence as a "no" because if I were a breeder who tested for it I'd be sure to reply to it :).

Anyway, vast majority of breedings with a stud from outside are done through artificial insemination, where a stud's sperm is shipped cooled overnight or frozen from anywhere in the country.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hmmm.... Well, I don't know how artificial insemination or frozen sperm would affect the brucellosis question. However, and this is just me, if I was going to breed my girl, I would insist on the test. Brucellosis causes late term miscarriage of the puppies. It is also a serious disease that is expensive and takes months to treat in adults and the treatment is not always successful. I just wouldn't risk it--why would anyone? It's just a test!

OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi all,

I am glad to see this discussion continuing. The owners and breeders are aware of the problem, the more it will come out into the open. Just like in cattle, this disease CAN be eliminated, but it will take the effort and testing to stamp it out. Yes, some studs will not get to breed.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.