Guidance in whelping

shannon313

Jan 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello everyone,

no I'm not a breeder I am a volunteer for a rescue who has been contacted by an overwhelmed breeder to take one of their pregnant dogs. I am going to be fostering the mother n pups but haven't the slightest on whelping a mother and her pups. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
hi Shannon. No experience on my end re. whelping but I'll tag a couple members who may be able to give you some help: [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You will need to have a vet-if it's an EBD-for C-section. I guess you know that. I am not a breeder-but there will be someone here soon. Check out the Articles page in the meantime.So good of you to do this!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10751]shannon313[/MENTION] I hope the breeder told you the due date, as you will need to take them to a vet for a C-section. It is very dangerous to whelp EB naturally as you can loose mam and pups or both. Once the pups come, keep them warm, at least 78 to 80 deg. F. and let mom feed every two hours. When mom is finished feeding them, take mom away from the pups, as she can accidentally kill one or two by laying on them. So get ready for no sleep for about three weeks. Feed every two hours for the first 2 weeks, you will have to stimulate them to go potty as some moms do not do this on their own. Keep the tails clean so they will not stick to their bodies and then they will not be able to poop. Once they are 3 weeks old you can go to every 3 to 4 hours on the feeding time. That's about it. Also give mom all the food and water she wants. We feed our moms puppy food the whole time they are nursing pups for the extra nutrition. Any other questions please let us know. Plus we also require pics of those precious babies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.