The Soy Debate....

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
I was advised by my breeder (a couple years ago) to never give a bulldog soy...and I've read it other places before as well. However, I purchased a bottle of VitaGlo Dream Coat from Mercola for our dogs and then realized it has soybean oil in it as the first ingredient..... Any advice?

Ingredients in order: soybean oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, wheat germ oil, cod liver oil, anise oil, garlic oil, vitamin E supplement.

We give them all extra virgin organic coconut oil in their food in the morning and I've been mixing neem oil and the coconut oil and applying that topically on one of ours with skin issues. But, when I mix those two and apply it, her skin turns red. Could be the neem oil I guess....

Thanks!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The soy will not hurt them, as some dog food companies use it as a protein source, but many dogs are allergic to it, so if they start itching or you notice other allergic reactions, then I would stop using it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Do yourself a favor too...no soy for anyone in your household
especially the males as it also mimics estrogen.

What is called wheat now is not the wheat our ancestors thrived
on. It is genetically altered and our bodies can not process it and
creates inflammation which creates diseases, cancers & other
chronic illnesses.

Just say NO to soy, wheat, rye, barley, corn & their saturated oils.

OP
mandymae7

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
Thank you! I knew about not giving soy milk to male humans because of its effects on their 'manlies', but did not think about that for furbabies.....DUH! Glad you pointed that out. Barley, though, is used in so many commercial dog foods though - including what we feed ours. We've been giving it to our other dogs (mastiffs and pit bulls) for about a week now. I think it's going in the garbage. Haven't noticed any side effects but it's only been a week....no allergies though, which would have shown up right away. Thank you again for pointing that out!

B

Baxter Tiberius

Agree with Carol. The new research on soy is nothing but bad all around. The estrogen issue is only one of many issues. Some studies have theorized that the highest rates in the world of ALS Disease in Asian countries are because of the high Soy diets of the people there. I still have some soy sauce with my sushi now and again though :)

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agree with Carol. The new research on soy is nothing but bad all around. The estrogen issue is only one of many issues. Some studies have theorized that the highest rates in the world of ALS Disease in Asian countries are because of the high Soy diets of the people there. I still have some soy sauce with my sushi now and again though :)

Fermented soy is okay as it changes it so enjoy a good, fermented, organic soy sauce
without guilt every once in awhile, I do too, it's my ONLY exception :)

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! I knew about not giving soy milk to male humans because of its effects on their 'manlies', but did not think about that for furbabies.....DUH! Glad you pointed that out. Barley, though, is used in so many commercial dog foods though - including what we feed ours. We've been giving it to our other dogs (mastiffs and pit bulls) for about a week now. I think it's going in the garbage. Haven't noticed any side effects but it's only been a week....no allergies though, which would have shown up right away. Thank you again for pointing that out!

Barley, especially pearl barley isn't as bad as the rest of the grains so
they may not react, hard to say really. You might feed small amounts
with another food, terrible to have to waste $$$'s, if one of the worst,
I'd say throw it out. It's wheat, corn & soy that are absolute NO WAY,
NO HOW! Good luck and let us know, btw, I avoid any oatmeal shampoos
etc as our skin absorbs it for me & my pets, GOD bless!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.