Breeding: Help needed

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] the 3 of you are inspiring with the knowledge you all possess and the standards you hold for breeding. I wish every breeder was as committed to this breed and any other breed as you guys are
:hug:to you all

OP
chikou

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona
I am not a breeder but I am a RN so would encourage to start genetics and how they work since you have so many questions regarding this. You need to understand that a negative trait and a positive trait do not make a perfect match. In fact, you could have 2 perfect parents with a non-dominant trait gene, lets say blue eyes or sickle cell ( I am using human examples of course). The odds are 50% the child will have sickle cell, 25% only the trait and 25% that it will be negative for it. That is genetics and there are no guarantees. Now lets talk about Spina bifida, this has a lot to do with genetics and prenatal care etc. And what about after the pups are born, how about the swimmers. Getting a dog knocked up is as easy as a person, except the bullies are more like someone with a fertility problem. There are so many variables that could result in tragedy or perfection. I hope this helps with your decision. I would also study the rates of your female possibly dying. Are you willing to take that risk. Something to think about

thank you I am going to be creating a guideline for myself to help me research on this.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
In my past, I had an EB from a backyard breeder. I cannot even begin to tell you all of his health issues. In his lifetime, I can tell you I spent a fortune but he was such a loving member of our family. After he went crossed the rainbow bridge, it took me about 15 years to decide to take another bulldog into my life. I researched and found a breeder that has been breeding since the early 1970's. He was weaned from mom to Fromm's and after joining this site, I knew he was on the right path. He has absolutely no health issues; however, he is clumsy. He is everything I ever wanted and is very healthy. I would never consider breeding him; however, he does prove to me that if bred correctly many of the health issues do not occur. Breeding is the key to this breed and we have several right here on EBN [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@Sherry @desertskybulldogs @Davidh the 3 of you are inspiring with the knowledge you all possess and the standards you hold for breeding. I wish every breeder was as committed to this breed and any other breed as you guys are
:hug:to you all

​Completely agree w/Tracey...THANK YOU ALL!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.