Breeding: Help needed

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona
Okay So I have read a numerous forum topics and google search as much information as I could.

My main goal is not to breed my english bulld dog just to breed. I would really like to help the breed if i could.

But there are alot of things I do not know that would need to know before i get started.

1) are there test that can be done to rule out if a english bull dog will have Entropion?

Research says: can only occur few months after birth or later in life (no idea what later in life means .. 1 year .. 2 years)

2) are there test that can be done to rule out if a english bull dog will have cherry eye?

Research says: most common in when less then 8 weeks old, or occur due to trauma to eye or head,

3) are there test that can be done to rule out if a english bull dog will have Elongate soft plate?

Research says: English Bulldogs with a elongated soft palate tend to breathe rather noisily when excited. This heavy breathing will become even more pronounced when a bulldog is hot or during periods of exercise, or when the dog is excited or agitated. A bulldog may frequently gag in an attempt to clear their airway and occasionally bring up foam and saliva while eating or drinking. The harder he breathes, the greater the swelling and elongation of the soft palate you will see their tongue turn blue as a result and their breathing may be what you describe as a hassling noise.

I am sure i am missing a bunch of stuff a learning process

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am no expert on breeding bullies, but I have raised other breeds. It sounds to me like you are not ready to consider breeder EBD's. I am sure there is much info on breeding elsewhere on this forum, and there are experienced breeders who can give you some expert advice. Breeding English Bulldogs takes alot of dedication, expense, and risk. There is always the chance that there will be problems that you would not be prepared to deal with.

Erinbarin

May 3, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper, 4 & Penelope, 1
I'd have to agree. I'm glad you're doing your research, but breeding bulldogs is no easy undertaking even with perfect breed standard. If you're truly trying to further the breed, look at local bulldog clubs in your area as well. Talk to as many people as you can before you risk serious damage to your bully and your bank account. There are so many bullies in need if rescue, rescuing is another way to help the breed.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
OK there are no test that I know of for the things you are asking about. Entropion usually will show up before 2 years of age or sooner. Cherry eye will usually pop before one year of age. It's just the shape of the head and the way eyes are that make bullies more prone to this. As far as elongated palate some will get it and I have seen were either the sire or dam had it, but none of the offspring did and vise versa. The main thing to check for on breeding is make sure the sire and dam are both very healthy, no hip or joint problems, the jaw is straight and proportioned correctly, and they meet AKC standards. How are their demeanor, do they get along with other dogs well, do they love people, Is there a history of any thing not desirable in their down line. All of these things need to be considered when choosing the right male and female to breed. I have seen some beautiful show bullies that should never be breed, because they are just mean and that trait can be passed down to the pups. I hope this helps. Here is a link to an excellent article about bully breeding. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?291-About-Bulldog-Breeding-Learn-What-It-Takes&=

OP
chikou

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona
Thank you for all the fair warning about the potential risk and etc, but i am looking for experience breeder to chime in on what kind of things they have experience that may help me if I do choose to take on this venture.

So far from the sound of things other then making sure both male/female are in good health conditions there is no way we can rule out possiblities of common health issues with our bullies then?

So the only way to perserve the health of the breed or keep the breed healthy is for example finding a health eb who has narrow nostril nose and breeding it with another health eb who has bigger nostril nose.

I am searching for additonal information that can be useful. So please I do not want a debate about puppy mill and/or backyard breeders to run rampat on this post. My goal is to reach out to those who have more knowledge on this potential decision i will or will not make.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I can't offer any help except my prayers you get the answers you are searching for.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thank you for all the fair warning about the potential risk and etc, but i am looking for experience breeder to chime in on what kind of things they have experience that may help me if I do choose to take on this venture.

So far from the sound of things other then making sure both male/female are in good health conditions there is no way we can rule out possiblities of common health issues with our bullies then?

So the only way to perserve the health of the breed or keep the breed healthy is for example finding a health eb who has narrow nostril nose and breeding it with another health eb who has bigger nostril nose.

I am searching for additonal information that can be useful. So please I do not want a debate about puppy mill and/or backyard breeders to run rampat on this post. My goal is to reach out to those who have more knowledge on this potential decision i will or will not make.

oh dear me, if you are looking for a green light from me, I can't give you one, I was raised by a family who bred other breeds.
lots and lots of canine throughout my life. Simpler breeds, I always loved the bulldog breed best
I researched for 7 years just the bulldog breed, before I got my first bully. Even though he was a rescue and American bulldog.
Then I got into the AKC English bulldog. It too was my dream to raise bulldog puppies. but I wasn't going to breed her unless she met standards, temperament and health. DNA tested , health guaranteed , and 5 generations of champion lines. I joined a local bulldog club and BCA , I showed a bit and found the perfect mate when she was 2-1/2 years old, I studied , studied, studied, and still not everything is a guarantee that things will happen the way you plan. When you have done enough research you won't need to ask questions. God Bless

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
oh dear me, if you are looking for a green light from me, I can't give you one, I was raised by a family who bred other breeds.
lots and lots of canine throughout my life. Simpler breeds, I always loved the bulldog breed best
I researched for 7 years just the bulldog breed, before I got my first bully. Even though he was a rescue and American bulldog.
Then I got into the AKC English bulldog. It too was my dream to raise bulldog puppies. but I wasn't going to breed her unless she met standards, temperament and health. DNA tested , health guaranteed , and 5 generations of champion lines. I joined a local bulldog club and BCA , I showed a bit and found the perfect mate when she was 2-1/2 years old, I studied , studied, studied, and still not everything is a guarantee that things will happen the way you plan. When you have done enough research you won't need to ask questions. God Bless
:goodpost:

OP
chikou

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona

I am not looking for a green light, Whether I choose to become a breeder or not will be my choice. but again my objective is not to just breed a dog to breed a dog.

I am simply looking for people like you to be a little open and share your expereince with me? If I am coming across as rude I am not trying to be? I am really just want to be a sponge and soak in whatever Life experience you have. I can read books and books but we all know books doesnt tell you everything. I join this forum because i am looking for help as simple as that.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I am not looking for a green light, Whether I choose to become a breeder or not will be my choice. but again my objective is not to just breed a dog to breed a dog.

I am simply looking for people like you to be a little open and share your expereince with me? If I am coming across as rude I am not trying to be? I am really just want to be a sponge and soak in whatever Life experience you have. I can read books and books but we all know books doesnt tell you everything. I join this forum because i am looking for help as simple as that.

yes ma'am I understand, I too do not mean to come across as rude, Is there a specific question you have in mind? the question on the nose nares, no that is not true, the genes don't work like that, some pups will have mom genes, some pups will have dad gene. some may go further back in lineage. The two mixes don't balance a mix of each. take for instance coat coloring. a litter can be divided between ma and pa and also earlier lineage. some pups look like mom some like pa or grandpa, mails carry a lot of genealogy

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There are tests that can be done called ofa, but those tests are done on the parent and does not guarantee the genes. For example, if you get ofa testing done on hips, they only state that the bully has good hips. It doesn't mean that their parents have good hips and that bad hips cannot be passed down.

The best thing you can do is hopefully study their lines and know that they came from a line of healthy bully's. Only certain guarantees is creating your own lines but creating your own healthy lines takes years.

I also believe that the health starts with the parents, as well as the care the mother and father receive. Do they eat the best foods? Do they get the best supplements? When the pups are born are they cared for and fed the best of the best ? This can greatly increase the success rate of healthy pups.

Also breeding a bully with tiny nares is out if the question, I would never match up one with wide nares and one with narrow nares, only wide plus wide.. Optimum health plus optimum health always..... The only matching I would do is girth and height, but even then as sherry stated they make take after solely the mother or the father.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

You just heard from a couple VERY experienced breeders. Davidh ..Sherry and Desertskybulldogs have tons of experience.

OP
chikou

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona

yes ma'am I understand, I too do not mean to come across as rude, Is there a specific question you have in mind? the question on the nose nares, no that is not true, the genes don't work like that, some pups will have mom genes, some pups will have dad gene. some may go further back in lineage. The two mixes don't balance a mix of each. take for instance coat coloring. a litter can be divided between ma and pa and also earlier lineage. some pups look like mom some like pa or grandpa, mails carry a lot of genealogy

Thank you for sharing, this help me make decisions on which ideal candidates to go with in the future, and also helps me understand the additional research i must do when finding a suitable candidates when and if i decided to become a breeder.

It seems that the best route would be to find a reputable breeder who has been breeding from years and hope to create a relationship in which you can be mentor in and help through this path. And it seems that the best choices of suitable mates may still come with some risk no matter what you kind of research you do and no no matter how good in health the current bulldog is in.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
@chikou The best way is to go to dog shows, and talk to the show breeders and become friends with one or two and maybe join the local bulldog club. Pick these breeders brains and also ask them what they think of your girl, is she breeding material, ect. ect. Sometimes you will find one you can partner with or they may be willing to mentor you, and also may have a stud that is suitable for your female. Listen to what they have to say with an open mind, and if they don't think your girl should be breed for whatever reason, maybe they will have one you can purchase that will be. Sometimes if you partner with one you can take the female for less money than usual and they will want a puppy back and will help you pick a male. I can not judge your girl, as I have not seen any good stacked picks of her to see how she looks.

Oh and I am a reputable breeder in case you were wondering, and have been doing it for some time now.

Last edited:

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I am not a breeder but I am a RN so would encourage to start genetics and how they work since you have so many questions regarding this. You need to understand that a negative trait and a positive trait do not make a perfect match. In fact, you could have 2 perfect parents with a non-dominant trait gene, lets say blue eyes or sickle cell ( I am using human examples of course). The odds are 50% the child will have sickle cell, 25% only the trait and 25% that it will be negative for it. That is genetics and there are no guarantees. Now lets talk about Spina bifida, this has a lot to do with genetics and prenatal care etc. And what about after the pups are born, how about the swimmers. Getting a dog knocked up is as easy as a person, except the bullies are more like someone with a fertility problem. There are so many variables that could result in tragedy or perfection. I hope this helps with your decision. I would also study the rates of your female possibly dying. Are you willing to take that risk. Something to think about

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.