Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breeding: Help needed

Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Fiona
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Breeding: Help needed

Quote Originally Posted by chikou View Post
    I am not looking for a green light, Whether I choose to become a breeder or not will be my choice. but again my objective is not to just breed a dog to breed a dog.

I am simply looking for people like you to be a little open and share your expereince with me? If I am coming across as rude I am not trying to be? I am really just want to be a sponge and soak in whatever Life experience you have. I can read books and books but we all know books doesnt tell you everything. I join this forum because i am looking for help as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    yes ma'am I understand, I too do not mean to come across as rude, Is there a specific question you have in mind? the question on the nose nares, no that is not true, the genes don't work like that, some pups will have mom genes, some pups will have dad gene. some may go further back in lineage. The two mixes don't balance a mix of each. take for instance coat coloring. a litter can be divided between ma and pa and also earlier lineage. some pups look like mom some like pa or grandpa, mails carry a lot of genealogy
    Thank you for sharing, this help me make decisions on which ideal candidates to go with in the future, and also helps me understand the additional research i must do when finding a suitable candidates when and if i decided to become a breeder.

It seems that the best route would be to find a reputable breeder who has been breeding from years and hope to create a relationship in which you can be mentor in and help through this path. And it seems that the best choices of suitable mates may still come with some risk no matter what you kind of research you do and no no matter how good in health the current bulldog is in.
    Last edited by chikou; 09-12-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

@chikou The best way is to go to dog shows, and talk to the show breeders and become friends with one or two and maybe join the local bulldog club. Pick these breeders brains and also ask them what they think of your girl, is she breeding material, ect. ect. Sometimes you will find one you can partner with or they may be willing to mentor you, and also may have a stud that is suitable for your female. Listen to what they have to say with an open mind, and if they don't think your girl should be breed for whatever reason, maybe they will have one you can purchase that will be. Sometimes if you partner with one you can take the female for less money than usual and they will want a puppy back and will help you pick a male. I can not judge your girl, as I have not seen any good stacked picks of her to see how she looks.

Oh and I am a reputable breeder in case you were wondering, and have been doing it for some time now.
    Last edited by Davidh; 09-12-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

I am not a breeder but I am a RN so would encourage to start genetics and how they work since you have so many questions regarding this. You need to understand that a negative trait and a positive trait do not make a perfect match. In fact, you could have 2 perfect parents with a non-dominant trait gene, lets say blue eyes or sickle cell ( I am using human examples of course). The odds are 50% the child will have sickle cell, 25% only the trait and 25% that it will be negative for it. That is genetics and there are no guarantees. Now lets talk about Spina bifida, this has a lot to do with genetics and prenatal care etc. And what about after the pups are born, how about the swimmers. Getting a dog knocked up is as easy as a person, except the bullies are more like someone with a fertility problem. There are so many variables that could result in tragedy or perfection. I hope this helps with your decision. I would also study the rates of your female possibly dying. Are you willing to take that risk. Something to think about

I'm a good girl, I promise

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

@Sherry @desertskybulldogs @Davidh the 3 of you are inspiring with the knowledge you all possess and the standards you hold for breeding. I wish every breeder was as committed to this breed and any other breed as you guys are
    to you all

Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Fiona
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by agingermom View Post
    I am not a breeder but I am a RN so would encourage to start genetics and how they work since you have so many questions regarding this. You need to understand that a negative trait and a positive trait do not make a perfect match. In fact, you could have 2 perfect parents with a non-dominant trait gene, lets say blue eyes or sickle cell ( I am using human examples of course). The odds are 50% the child will have sickle cell, 25% only the trait and 25% that it will be negative for it. That is genetics and there are no guarantees. Now lets talk about Spina bifida, this has a lot to do with genetics and prenatal care etc. And what about after the pups are born, how about the swimmers. Getting a dog knocked up is as easy as a person, except the bullies are more like someone with a fertility problem. There are so many variables that could result in tragedy or perfection. I hope this helps with your decision. I would also study the rates of your female possibly dying. Are you willing to take that risk. Something to think about
    thank you I am going to be creating a guideline for myself to help me research on this.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TubbysMom View Post
    @Sherry @desertskybulldogs @Davidh the 3 of you are inspiring with the knowledge you all possess and the standards you hold for breeding. I wish every breeder was as committed to this breed and any other breed as you guys are
    to you all

aweee thank you for appreciating
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member wheezer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus, Dexter
    Likes (Received)

In my past, I had an EB from a backyard breeder. I cannot even begin to tell you all of his health issues. In his lifetime, I can tell you I spent a fortune but he was such a loving member of our family. After he went crossed the rainbow bridge, it took me about 15 years to decide to take another bulldog into my life. I researched and found a breeder that has been breeding since the early 1970's. He was weaned from mom to Fromm's and after joining this site, I knew he was on the right path. He has absolutely no health issues; however, he is clumsy. He is everything I ever wanted and is very healthy. I would never consider breeding him; however, he does prove to me that if bred correctly many of the health issues do not occur. Breeding is the key to this breed and we have several right here on EBN @Davidh and @desertskybulldogs and @Sherry!
    Zeus 2013

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TubbysMom View Post
    to you all
    ​Completely agree w/Tracey...THANK YOU ALL!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads