New bully ( yet to be named)

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Hey, i just bought a female bulldog, 13 months old. The paper name is ainsley. but she doesnt seems to know her name. she doesn't know any basic command like "sit". Never seem a tv, and afraid of the first few steps on the staircase. She lived her life in cage located outdoor, almost 24 hours everyday. She got oversized tounge, she eats her food well but when i gave her bread, she has difficulty chewing. But i guess as lobg as she can eat her portion of food for the day that's okay. She didnt have any toys to play with, and i can't imagine a bully without something to chew on. She also got skin problems caused by the metal collar she wore. She will get a lot of love from now on.

The owner said that the second heat cycle will be on the 11th month. I was planning to breed her with my male dog, booboo. Since i read that i shouldn't have a problem as long as she's not in heat, he will be okay. But yesterday i found blood in ainsley's pee and boo tried to hump her. Should i seperate them? i really would like them to settle before seperating them actually... does anyone have any breeding experience with two mature dogs ? If she is in heat, is she considered mature enough to breed?
5e9u5a7e.jpg

Today i have a doctor's appointment for vaccination.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
some more folks with breeding experience will be here soon but all i can say is please wait until you find out what kind of temperament the new female has, and whether the eating issue is due to a palate or perhaps another genetic disorder that you don't want to pad onto the pups. really only experienced breeders should try this at home...normally the mums are artificially inseminated and must be delivered by c-section. dogs can overheat trying to do it the old fashioned way....keep them very separate for now.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
hi [MENTION=3411]loonatic8[/MENTION] ! good to see u back on the forums. Please do get a lot of feedback from experienced breeders before you decide to go ahead with it. Some folks here who i can think off the top of my head will be able to give u some input: @Davidh , @desertskybulldogs

in the meantime, this little lady in your life needs all your love and attention and she sounds like she's getting lots of that! she's a beautiful girl.

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
First off congrats on your new bullie :)
Second why do you want to breed? Breeding bulldogs is very time and money consuming. They do not breed like normal dogs and need to be delivered by C-section. Not to mention they have to be monitored 24 hours aday and are not left with mom like normal dogs are.
That being said I dont breed my girls till they have had at least 4 heat cycles and are over 24 months old. Bulldogs mature alot slower then most dogs and can still be growing into there 2nd or 3rd year.
Also since you just got her I would recommend you do a vet visit first to make sure she is healthy after spending 13 months in a cage.
Then you need to make sure you have her heart, eyes, hips, and knees checked and know her pedigree to make sure there are not heriditary defects in her back ground. Along with checking all of this on the male you hope to use. So by the time you have all this stuff done over the course of the next 12 to 16 months you should beable to know her temperment and see if she is of a good temperment and match to your male to breed.

Erinbarin

May 3, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper, 4 & Penelope, 1
This is not an easy undertaking, and I urge to to seek advice from experienced breeders. There are so many bulldogs needing homes, to take her from a bad situation only to breed her, seems cruel. Spare her that added misery! You don't know her well enough yet to put her through that. Trying not to be judgemental, but irresponsible breeding for profit is shameful.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few members with breeding experience that can tell you the in and outs, but you must know this is EXTREMELY expensive, time consuming and life threatening to the female.

She is a sweet girl.... I am happy you saved her from that awful life and hope she has a long, loving life with you

Also, I am moving this to breeding forum for more feedback from experienced members

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh...I BEG you to reconsider breeding her. Please wait until she's mature,
at least 2 -2 1/2 years old and you've checked for genetic defects/problems
along w/males lineage too. Educate yourself on breeding of bulldogs, it's not
like other dog breeding and you might lose her & her puppies, it's just very
dangerous. I'm sure the breeders here will give seasoned & caring advice.

Best wishes & GOD bless!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Sorry i never breed bulldogs ,but from what i was instructed (few members know the situation im in) that she need to have her health tests done,also the temperament and features play important role -if i was you i would seriously reconsider breeding her ,maybe sign yourself to bulldog club (not sure if you got something like this in US) talk to the breeders and get some expert advice (and i agree with everyone have her vet checked)
On a side note shes a very pretty girl

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Everyone here will tell you, in your situation, don't breed. You really need to do your research and you will understand why. But thankyou for rescueing her.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I would keep her separated from the male until you are positive she is not in heat, the blood could also be from a UTI. Don't breed her until at least her 3rd heat cycle, this will let her be at least 18 months old or older. Plus do not let them breed naturally, this could over heat the male, and that would not be a good thing. They need to be artificially inseminated, and then have the pups by C-section. You take a risk of loosing the female and all the pups if something goes wrong or your vet does not know what he is doing. You will be up every two hours feeding pups, as they can not stay with mom all the time. She may accidentally lay on one or two and kill them, so I hope you don't like a lot of sleep. This needs to be done the first 2 weeks and then it is every 3 hours to feed for a week or two after that. If mama doesn't product enough milk for the pups, you get to bottle feed them. I've been there and done that and it's not fun. Don't take breeding lightly, do your home work before hand. Everyone thinks it's no big deal and want to make some fast money, but it doesn't work that way. Doing it the right way, you will spend between $2000.00 to $3000.00 on each litter. I would also study both of your bullies pedigrees,and genetics, because they may not be a good match. This is why we have so many unhealthy and ugly bullies out there in rescue and shelters, because people just throw two bullies together and breed and don't do their homework on the pedigree or the genetics of the two they are breeding. Again don't take this lightly, do your homework first.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online