Where do I start and is it worth it?

MrButtersMom

Aug 10, 2012
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Butters
My bubby is now one year 7 months and I have always had it in my head that I wanted to stud him out. I have no idea where to start as this is my first Bully let alone pure bred dog. He isn't show quality but I would really like to have another Bully some day and I am super fond of the one I have now. So to have his son would be killer, at least in my mind.
I want to do it soon if at all possible because I do want to have him fixed right after or now if I don't breed.

I am open to all information as I am still learning about this magnificent breed.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My bubby is now one year 7 months and I have always had it in my head that I wanted to stud him out. I have no idea where to start as this is my first Bully let alone pure bred dog. He isn't show quality but I would really like to have another Bully some day and I am super fond of the one I have now. So to have his son would be killer, at least in my mind.
I want to do it soon if at all possible because I do want to have him fixed right after or now if I don't breed.

I am open to all information as I am still learning about this magnificent breed.

Oh boy,...... this breed is the most high maintenance breed known to man. In fact it's called the man made breed. Only experienced breeders , not just of this breed, but any breed should breed their dogs.
And only to better the breed for health and or show. Bulldogs are artificially inseminated. C-sectioned and kept separate from mom except to feed which is done by the owner. Owner also stimulates puppy's to make them go potty. This is not to be taken lightly. This breed is great as a companion, but not to be done just for fun or thinking you'll get a clone. It's hard work and lots of hearts get broken. Too many bad situations have happened. I would ask you to reconsider the studding part and think about getting another male either through rescue or through a qualified breeder.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ok, this topic always opens a big can of worms, so we will watch it closely so it doesn't get out of hand and I hope you don't get your feelings hurt. I understand you are still learning about the breed and that's ok to ask questions, so here we go. People should only breed to better the breed period. If you do not have a bully that is show quality, then it should not be bred. That being said, just because they are show quality, does not automatically mean they can be or should be bred. I have seen several "champion" bullies that should never be bred because of temperament. Some show breeders are not doing the breed justice because they are not paying attention to this. The two bullies that are going to be bred, you should check and research both their linage, for temperament, health, hip problems, or any other bad genetics they may pass down. When people do not do their home work, and just throw two bullies together, this is where you can get the unhealthy bullies and most of them find their way into shelters or rescue. I'm not saying your boy is not worthy of breeding, but this is the things you need to research and study his back ground. Most reputable breeders will be very picky who they will breed their females to, so you may have a hard time finding a female to breed with, unless you just breed him to anyone would will let you and the gamble begins on how healthy their babies will be, also how they will look. I have always heard and have seen it to be true, breed an ugly bitch and you will get ugly pups. I hope this did not insult you and has put a different light on the subject for you.

OP
MrButtersMom

MrButtersMom

Aug 10, 2012
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Butters
Oh, no not insulted or anything negative coming from my end at all! I appreciate your knowledge on the whole thing greatly! Your answers are honest and for the better of the breed. Who could ask for anything else?
It helps me to go ahead and get him neutered and look into adoption. As much as I would love to have a puppy when my boy moves on, I would feel better to take care of one in more need of a living home now that I have been more informed of the details of their procreation. I knew of the having to artificially impregnate the females but none of the other responsibilities.

Whew! Looks like Mr.B will get a playmate or two now and sooner than I had hoped.

Thanks so much!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh, no not insulted or anything negative coming from my end at all! I appreciate your knowledge on the whole thing greatly! Your answers are honest and for the better of the breed. Who could ask for anything else?
It helps me to go ahead and get him neutered and look into adoption. As much as I would love to have a puppy when my boy moves on, I would feel better to take care of one in more need of a living home now that I have been more informed of the details of their procreation. I knew of the having to artificially impregnate the females but none of the other responsibilities.

Whew! Looks like Mr.B will get a playmate or two now and sooner than I had hoped.

Thanks so much!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Thank You

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@Davidh and [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] have given great advice and both KNOW of what they speak.

Please do not get your feelings hurt, we're just trying to be honest, this breed...so
dear to us here, unfortunately has many serious and expensive issues and now, due
to Hollywood popularity, everyone wants one! The rescues & shelters do not have
room for all that are dropped off or just left in the road. Most people DO NOT do the
research on bullies and are not prepared for the work needed daily to keep them
healthy or the expense in food quality & vet bills or the fact, they aren't outdoor dogs.
Not prepared either that bullies need a relationship with their humans, crave it in fact.
Many do not want to provide so much TIME with their bullies or want to do the WORK.

Your bully may not be show quality but the bigger issue is what is in his genetics, problems
that may or may not be obvious and so too, the same applies to the potential momma bully.
It's a lot of responsibility, I understand wanting his puppy but unless you get verification of
excellent health & temperment from both parents & lineage, please don't breed.

Adopt a bully needing a home or buy a puppy from a reputable & caring breeder. GOD bless!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Ok, this topic always opens a big can of worms, so we will watch it closely so it doesn't get out of hand and I hope you don't get your feelings hurt. I understand you are still learning about the breed and that's ok to ask questions, so here we go. People should only breed to better the breed period. If you do not have a bully that is show quality, then it should not be bred. That being said, just because they are show quality, does not automatically mean they can be or should be bred. I have seen several "champion" bullies that should never be bred because of temperament. Some show breeders are not doing the breed justice because they are not paying attention to this. The two bullies that are going to be bred, you should check and research both their linage, for temperament, health, hip problems, or any other bad genetics they may pass down. When people do not do their home work, and just throw two bullies together, this is where you can get the unhealthy bullies and most of them find their way into shelters or rescue. I'm not saying your boy is not worthy of breeding, but this is the things you need to research and study his back ground. Most reputable breeders will be very picky who they will breed their females to, so you may have a hard time finding a female to breed with, unless you just breed him to anyone would will let you and the gamble begins on how healthy their babies will be, also how they will look. I have always heard and have seen it to be true, breed an ugly bitch and you will get ugly pups. I hope this did not insult you and has put a different light on the subject for you.

Hear! Hear! Amen brother!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This breed is in this condition because of just breeding for pups, not breeding for to better the breed. Those used for breeding should be first of all healthy, no allergies, great breathing, great tails, great hips etc. etc. Cause this breed is in such a sorry condition, there might not be a lot of individuals that have none of these breed specific issues, then some things could be overlooked.
We (and his breeder) were hoping to breed my Usko. He is show quality, breaths well (not great though), no allergies, good hips(not great though), etc. He has a gene defect that causes urate stones, but testing the female and selecting one that is clear from that gene, the pups would not get the defect. We had his spine X-rayed and found out that he has some changes in his spine. They could bother him in his later years or they may not. He could pass it to his offspring or he may not, but we decided that he would be one of a kind and he would have no pups, the things were just stacking up against breeding. I was heart broken to say the least, but I know that we did the right thing. Now we have Voitto instead of Usko's son and we love him just as much.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
This breed is in this condition because of just breeding for pups, not breeding for to better the breed. Those used for breeding should be first of all healthy, no allergies, great breathing, great tails, great hips etc. etc. Cause this breed is in such a sorry condition, there might not be a lot of individuals that have none of these breed specific issues, then some things could be overlooked.
We (and his breeder) were hoping to breed my Usko. He is show quality, breaths well (not great though), no allergies, good hips(not great though), etc. He has a gene defect that causes urate stones, but testing the female and selecting one that is clear from that gene, the pups would not get the defect. We had his spine X-rayed and found out that he has some changes in his spine. They could bother him in his later years or they may not. He could pass it to his offspring or he may not, but we decided that he would be one of a kind and he would have no pups, the things were just stacking up against breeding. I was heart broken to say the least, but I know that we did the right thing. Now we have Voitto instead of Usko's son and we love him just as much.

I have never seen a bulldog stud that has been ofa excellent- "good" really is all I've seen even out of top show studs. The health testing is so important - knees, hips, eyes, trachea, heart, X-rays of spine and chest, any history o elongated palate, there is so much to consider. also temperament - many dont do temperament testing and say oh he's the sweetest little thing- next thing you know you have a dog that is food/toy/ dog aggressive. . And people wonder why bulldogs are so expensive

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Thanks for being open to hear what our opinions/ideas are on the whole topic of breeding. Seriously, it's appreciated that you have an open mind about this.
I've never wanted to breed an animal, I think each one is unique and there are so many that need homes, I just could never bring myself to do it. I am a huge proponent of spaying/neutering. That being said...when I found out about how bulldogs breed and what all is involved, I was SHOCKED! This breed having babies really is a labor of love on behalf of the human involvement.

Good luck!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I am not a breeder though I do understand the obligations that are connected to being a breeder if one is to be a responsible breeder and not someone who contributes to a problem. So I am going to take a different angle on this than others who have posted simply as a means for perspective. Take it or leave it. From what I gather you only desire one breeding [ or one that takes] and one pup from this litter for yourself and then have your boy neutered. So I would suggest, if you want to go this route, is that if you find a prospective bitch and owners who are willing, and if you could secure buyers in advance for all the other pups from this litter for instance family members, friends, friends of friends, all who to the best of your ability would know the responsibilities of not only being a dog parent but a bulldog parent with all the maintenance they require, and they were eager and willing to do so if there were available pups [ and you might create a list of more prospective owners than likely pups with enough folks that if someone opted out you would still have someone who wanted a puppy. If you were willing to do that and felt reasonably secure that the conditions were met then I don't see a problem with fulfilling your wish. Because not only does it fulfill your wish but others as well and you have in good faith done all possible to secure good loving homes for the puppies. If you went that far and to that extent you would probably be way more responsible than many breeders and if all did likewise there would be far less mistreated, forgotten, and abandoned dogs. For make no mistake about it. Whether you do so or not many more will breed and are far,far less responsible.

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
As a disclaimer for my previous post let me add that I am not advocating to do so, I was just suggesting a possible more responsible alternative if you were dead set on doing so . There are so many dogs out there already that need good homes that at times it seems a shame to bring more in. But its shocking to see how many, just for instance on fb alone that are breeders and are offering litters all the time and I am referring to EB's and OEB's exclusively not to mention other breeds of dogs. Its in some respects for me disheartening

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

Excellent reply, David! I get so sad looking through the dogs available for adoption. There are too many people breeding bulldogs without consideration of health and temperament. I know I would have loved to have one of my Norton's puppies but knew I could NEVER recreate that wonderful big goofy guy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online