Breeding your bully?

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I want to breed Bear. I have done some research and see that they should be around 18 months. Is that just for the female or both? Is it better to wait so long to see if the bully comes up with any genetic issues or problems? I intend to have Bear evaluated and get my own female puppy, my breeder has 2 litters coming up and neither are related to mine at all.

I am not choosing to breed for money. If only one time, I just want puppies from Bear :up: I do not think I'd give up any of the puppies, i'd have to pray for a small litter :pray:

I'd like to know from some experiences that any of you have had. I won't do this alone, besides evaluating Bear I am going to enlist the help from the breeder I got him from so I won't be doing this carelessly. I know the work involved in taking care of the babie bullies and I know I can do it. Working from home, if I am at that time will help.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Its best to wait until the male is atleast 18-24mnths to make sure he has no health problems. The female should be 24months+ and on her 3rd heat. Both dogs should be genetically tested and have their hips,eyes,ect. certified. You may also want to have their DNA checked because alot of puppies are being AKC registered with multiple Studs and some puppies are not even coming from that Dam or Sire. Make sure both dogs conform to AKC standard and that by breeding them you will be breeding for qualities that contribute to the breed. Also you need to research ALOT!! There are alot of things that can happen when the pups are born. The mother could pass during a csection or natural birth, you could have "floaters", even with screening some puppies can be born with defects so YOU MUST BE PREPARED for anything and everything that can happen. I also like the idea of having a mentor if this is what you decide. Noone should ever try breeding blindly.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva is spayed after seeing her breeder with 10 pups plus the mom and dad that was enough for me! I did read the bulldog breeding info page on this site and it was very informative! Good luck!

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
We'd like to do the same with Hudson, mainly because he's such a beautiful breed example...so far. Same with his health, which is good....so far. Obviously, since he's 7 months, we have to wait a little bit to see if this stays the same. BUT we are hoping to just stud him. At this point and time, I do not have the time or resources to breed my own litter. (I'd love to, but I can't right now. Maybe someday...) I still want to approach it responsibly, though. I plan to have genetic testing done closer to an age where he'd be able to do it, just in case some sort of health issue comes up (*fingers crossed for not*). So, I'm also out for any advice anyone has too! Bring it on!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.