BREEDING

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
ok guys i need some input, we bought Rebel with the intention of getting him fixed at 6 months but now im starting to change my mind i kinda want him to breed just once, only because i would like to see how beautiful his puppies would be, he is only limited AKC but i just keep wondering what they would look like, is this wrong of me?

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
ok guys i need some input, we bought Rebel with the intention of getting him fixed at 6 months but now im starting to change my mind i kinda want him to breed just once, only because i would like to see how beautiful his puppies would be, he is only limited AKC but i just keep wondering what they would look like, is this wrong of me?

Hrm...

I think natural human curiosity compels us to wonder what our dogs' pups would look like. I don't think that's wrong of you at all.

However, my initial inclination is to strongly recommend against this. It is, admittedly, a gut reaction born out of the idea that there are many unwanted puppies abandoned because somebody thought it was a good idea to breed them because they were cute, then later couldn't maintain them or find homes for them. I am not suggesting that YOU would abandon them, but just that that is the history of many dogs in shelters.

Also, I am not sure where Rebel was purchased from initially, but in all of my research to find a breeder, I looked for one that explicitly bred to maintain and enhance the health integrity of their lines. A good quality breeder seeks to ensure that the dogs they choose to breed are the healthiest they have, displaying both physical characteristics that are sought after in the breed as well as personality traits that make them a good exemplar. Dogs that do not fall under this category are sold to pet homes with contracts that stipulate they should be fixed.

If you do decide to do this, PLEASE seek the council of someone who has experience. Do not simply throw your dog in with a female. Bullies are prone to aggression and overheating while attempting to mate. As such, they are typically impregnated via in vitro and are delivered via caesarian. You'll want someone on hand who has experience with both and should be prepared for the cost. In some cases this can take multiple in vitro attempts at the cost of several thousand dollars. (I assume the owner of a female isn't going to eat the costs themselves.)

I say all of this with a 2.5yr old intact male bully - intact because he was one of his breeder's picks to show and possibly stud. He has not been bred. A number of people have thrown out offers to us and a neighbor (with a thankfully fixed Victorian bully female) is desperate to see him breed. I absolutely WOULD NOT consider breeding him on my own, without the aid of my breeder, her vet or someone equally knowledgeable. Since my breeder has, due to very tragic circumstances, recently retired from breeding, it is highly unlikely that my boy will breed, despite his display of excellent characteristics.

P.S. AKC standing, to my knowledge, does not ensure "breeding quality". It's just a registration database. My dog has CKC registration, but so do all of his litter mates, the majority of which were sold into pet homes. Some of the more informed people here can weigh in on this.

Best of luck. Your boy is very cute. :)

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Um I'm pretty sure that any reputable breeder who sold you the pup with limited AKC did so for a reason. If they found out you bred the dog you would be breaking the contract being the limited registration and they could seek legal action against you.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The breeder registered them with a limited registration for a reason, so they would not be bred and can not be registered with AKC. Sometimes they do this just so people won't breed their line without their permission to protect their line, and sometimes they do this because the pup is not show quality and should not be breed. If you are interested in breeding your boy, call the breeder and talk to them about it, and they will tell you the reason. If he is of breeding quality, they may want to use him if you are interested. The problem with people breeding a bully with limited registration is 1) you might be breeding a bully that is not up to standard, 2) might pass on a gene that is undesirable, and get unhealthy pups 3) can not be registered with AKC. People who do breed anyway will register them with CKC (Continental Kennel Club) not to be mistaken with Canadian Kennel Club, which is like our AKC. There is another Kennel club out there but I can't remember the name right know. Only AKC and CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) are reputable clubs that try to make sure the breeds are bred to the standards in which they were intended, and try to better the breed. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
REBELBABY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
oh wow i didnt realize, thanks for the all the input im not going to do that, im fine with just him

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
The breeder registered them with a limited registration for a reason, so they would not be breed and can not be registered with AKC. Sometimes they do this just so people won't breed their line without their permission to protect their line, and sometimes they do this because the pup is not show quality and should not be breed. If you are interested in breeding your boy, call the breeder and talk to them about it, and they will tell you the reason. If he is of breeding quality, they may want to use him if you are interested. The problem with people breeding a bully with limited registration is 1) you might be breeding a bully that is not up to standard, 2) might pass on a gene that is undesirable, and get unhealthy pups 3) can not be registered with AKC. People who do breed anyway will register them with CKC (Continental Kennel Club) not to be mistaken with Canadian Kennel Club, which is like our AKC. There is another Kennel club out there but I can't remember the name right know. Only AKC and CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) are reputable clubs that try to make sure the breeds are bred to the standards in which they were intended, and try to better the breed. I hope this helps.

Good response. Mine has Canadian Kennel Club registration. Our breeder is one of the directors for the Bulldog Club of Canada.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.