Want to breed need advice!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Asking questions about how to breed is a good way to start. Too often there is little help among breed owners that are not judgmental. If you don't know, how do you find out? Be sure you read all of the comments. Also go to the breeders section for connecting with breeders.

Good Day~

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Im just curious.........how did the "experts" get to be so good at what they do for breeding? Who taught them? Who helped them?

There are lots of bad breeders all over. Even those who are "experts" in breeding are bad breeders. Far too many puppies available for a cheap price. End up neglected or in foster or rescue.

Educating about the breed and about breeding should not be meant to stop new breeders from being a part of the process. I answer anyone's question about the breed or breeding. Kinda like learning the birds and bees the right way or the wrong way.

Good Day~

OP
amelson19933

amelson19933

Dec 28, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Amelson, which Vet do you use here in Delaware ? Thanks ! :)

We go to Seaford Animal Hospital. They are great! A little bit pricier than other vets in the area but worth the few extra bucks. Tank is the star of the vets office when we go in. We always have the same tech and they know us by name. They help all that they can and give really good advice, they just didn't know too much about breeding.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] in regards to your question about how the "Experts" got their start...as I was saying in my post awhile back, an expert breeder has to find someone who's been through the school of hard knocks and worked with others to learn. Research and a good vet helps, too. Someone who is going to encompass their world with learning about the breed and breed to better the dogs, not to make money. Especially and I mean especially, with bulldogs because they don't reproduce the "normal" way and they don't give birth the normal way, either. This is a very complicated procedure here - therefore knowledge, experience and a level head are needed. As well as great experts to be in your corner.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We're planning on breeding Tank once he is ready. He is 1 yr old and I'm just not sure when the right age is to start and normal breeding practices. I did hear that we can charge stud service and get pick of the litter. Just not sure of all the steps required in this whole ordeal, and the vet wasn't much help. Kinda looking for start to finish help if possible. Thanks!
As someone who has adopted a bulldog who was bred repeatedly by a "reputable breeder," I have very strong opinions about this. A very good breeder of these dogs said that she never breeds a bitch until she's at least 4 years old. Mabel was bred several times before she turned 4. With her health problems she NEVER should have been bred. I think the caution you are seeing on this thread is because of the many, many stories these members have heard about dogs that are dumped because of health problems, who were bred by "reputable breeders." A lot of people breed these dogs to make money, with no regard for the quality of the dogs they are reproducing. Many good breeders will insist that the dog is shown to championship status and will want to see a pedigree and written medical health screenings (heart, hips, eyes, etc)--not just anecdotal "evidence" of the dog's health. I hear and read all the time about puppies being sent home with their new people parents at 4 or 6 weeks! I would avoid these breeders like the plague! Ultimately the decision is yours, but just beware.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
You need to get your boy checked for hips, eyes, and allergies, plus his bloodlines health issues. Most reputable breeders and I'm going by what I do and the other breeders I know will only breed from champion stock or one that is close to having their championship. We want to better the breed and make the best pups we can. If you start showing Tank and he gets some points this will help you meet more people who have females to breed with and it will make him more appealing to someone who wants to breed with him. If he has some flaws that will make him not show quality, then in my opinion he should not be breed. I hope this helps and again please don't take offense to what I said, just trying to better the breed.

And this, dear David, is why you are on my short list if I decide to get a puppy from a breeder! I hope I can make your cut if we decide to do this in the future!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
@amelson19933 Third. Please continue to do more research as others have suggested. This isn't an easy process for the boys or the girls and frankly, I think breeding of *ANY* dog (or cat) should be left to the experts who know what they are doing and learned from someone who had way more years of experience than they did.

Good Luck. Please keep us posted.

I don't know a thing about breeding and won't ever comment one way or another on the dos and do nots, but I can tell you, all those experts at one time were a total novice. A noob. We all gotta start off somewhere. All you can really do is a) put the dogs first b) do as much research as you possibly can.

Good Luck!!!!

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] Yes, I understand that anyone wanting to start anything new is a novice at first. That's why you surround yourself with people who have been there/done that in order to have the support you need to guide you through the ups and downs. (I thought I said that after the post you quoted, but perhaps my memory is going, going, gone?)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't think you should breed. Not because I believe you won't research, find the right female, speak with experts, etc. But because I think we have enough breeders, even great breeders that still wind up with unhealthy pups.
Until those that already have the experience can breed with a very high success rate of healthy bullies, I don't think we need new ones.
The truth of the matter is, even though you may have enough people who'll buy these adorable pups, the reality is- many of these same people, if faced with very high medical bills will surrender their bullies to rescues.

I know my post is of no help to you, and your question wasn't "What's your opinion on me breeding". So I apologize for my post. Mods feel free to delete if you don't believe it's appropriate.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
@ModernFemme Yes, I understand that anyone wanting to start anything new is a novice at first. That's why you surround yourself with people who have been there/done that in order to have the support you need to guide you through the ups and downs. (I thought I said that after the post you quoted, but perhaps my memory is going, going, gone?)

For some reason I thought you were a different poster for a second - yes, I did read the full comment. Sorry, I realize you were being passive aggressive there, but you knowww I have to call you out. :) That doesn't make my opinion any less valid to whoever seeks comfort in it. I commend the OP for asking before just diving in, just like you - and surrounding herself with people who know a thing or two about breeding bulldogs the best way. (Although I am sooo not one of them.)

I'm in the boat that the breed standard isn't a goal worth reaching due to the health problems it causes - but that is not limited to just bulldogs, either.

I realize this is a touchy thread, so hopefully we can all realize nothing is personal here. We can always educate each other on being mindful and researching, but with so many "champion" bloodlines having the health problems they do, I really don't think others should stop breeding, especially if they have healthy, well tempered bulldogs. No matter what the breed, you will always have irresponsible owners and unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about it other than increase the punishment on animal cruelty laws and finding breeders that have more of a screening process.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes everyone who started breeding was a novice, but the thing to do is find a reputable breeder who is willing to help you and mentor you. We had two different ones helping us, and they helped educate us on the breed and bloodlines and also recommended which sire and dam we needed to breed. That's what people who want to breed needs to do, and not just throw two bullies together and see what happens. It sounds like you do want to do your homework and that's why you are here asking questions. We can help to a degree, but you need to find a couple reputable breeders to work with and as I said go to dog shows and talk to show breeders and even put your boy in the ring and see how he does. If he id a good match for someones female they will contact you. That's a good way to start.

OP
amelson19933

amelson19933

Dec 28, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We just wanted info to do what's best by the dogs. We love our Tank and would love to see his puppies in the future (keep them all if we could :) ) but we just wanted to see what it entailed before going any further. Were seeing that it doesnt look like we may after reading the articles and the advice given. The breeders we got Tank from we're an Amish couple who kept Tank and the other pups for almost 5 months before sending them with their new owners. They asked us questions and what not to be sure we knew what we were getting into with the breed (we did so much research before even thinking about getting Tank) and have been very fortunate that he doesn't have many of the health problems most bullies have ( or al least not yet ) we've spent hundreds of dollars in vet bills with him like I'm sure all you have too. But anyway as you can guess, we can't really keep in touch and ask questions to the breeder we got Tank from.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I don't remember if I have already posted a welcome so greetings and welcome to EBN. Tank is a very nice looking bulldog. You have received some helpful advice in this thread on your enquiry on breeding Tank. I have only been in this forum since the beginning of the year but as much as I can tell the folks here are really and sincerely interested in the well being of their dogs, bulldogs and all dogs in general. So if some of the comments have seemed pointed it is in light of their genuine concern. Many in this forum have seen the dark side of the bulldog world and the dog world in general in that too many dogs are ill cared for and abandoned to live miserable existences and many here have gone to great lengths to save as many as possible and to reduce those outcomes. About 3 to 4 million dogs are euthanized in the US alone every year. And I don't know the exact number but that many or more puppies are being born here as well. So it raises the question, one which I contemplated when I was searching for my next dog. That is should one get a puppy or get a shelter or rescue dog. I wish that all could be saved and may also myself rescue one in the future, but what about the millions of pups being born in the US each year? What will happen to them. I dearly love my Ace but if I didn't get him some one would have and what would have become of him? Every abandoned dog, shelter dog, rescue dog was once a puppy which either wound up in favorable or unfavorable circumstances. So either choice, to get a puppy or a rescue dog has behind the decision various considerations. Both or either can be considered thoughtfully and with best intentions. The well being of the dog and the owner and the likelihood of the well being of both. Your enquiry into the possible breeding of your dog and the responses you have received here are both commendable. To acquire as much knowledge as you can before you make the decision, and desire the best outcome, one that is in the best interest of the dog, the breed and to know what you are getting into is the proper attitude. Even if you decide not to, for whatever reasons, be it the possible heath issue in your dogs lineage, and hopefully there aren't any or for other reason then let us not kid ourselves, someone else WILL. Better to have breeders that have the best interest of the breed and the dogs that they are responsible for producing, with good health and temperaments than those breeders who really don't care so long as they can enrich themselves in one way or another. You could be one that helps by being a responsible breeder or choosing not to breed your dog as the case may be doing so for the right reasons. As for seeking advice, you have found a place here where you will get good and honest advice with the well being of dogs at heart. As far as seeking out a breeder who has bred AKC championship Bulldogs and bloodlines, I have mixed feelings on that. The health issues of Bulldogs runs much deeper that whether or not the dog is an AKC champion or from a champion lineage. Becoming an AKC champion is about conformation not necessarily health. If health and well being of the dogs and line is what is paramount a champion Bulldog in not necessarily the criterion in my opinion. They may be healthy and they may not. As I stated the health and well being of Bulldogs runs much deeper that championship titles. In fact I think that the conformation that tends to win the titles is not necessarily health promoting. The exaggerations in Bulldog conformation that wins championships is a much different look to what Bulldogs looked like many years ago and the changes were not promoted because of health or well being

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.