Want to breed need advice!

amelson19933

Dec 28, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We're planning on breeding Tank once he is ready. He is 1 yr old and I'm just not sure when the right age is to start and normal breeding practices. I did hear that we can charge stud service and get pick of the litter. Just not sure of all the steps required in this whole ordeal, and the vet wasn't much help. Kinda looking for start to finish help if possible. Thanks!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Well, I'm not a breeder, but I know there is ALOT more work than, bring the dog over in heat and Tank and her can create whoopie and make baby bullies.

Granted the female bully gets the 'short end of the stick' with the surgery for C-section, risk of pregnancy etc.

Do you know that almost all bully breeding is done via artificial insemination? that means you will have to gather Tanks 'love seed' and there is a precise way to do it, store it, etc.

What do you know about Tanks breeding? how far back in lineage can you go? can you PROVE HEALTH ? Knees, Hips, allergies, etc etc, does he have any certificates for those area?

not to sound mean, but from your post it SEEMS like you see $$$$ or a Free Puppy from Breeding him breeding (I could be wrong, but this is how I read your post, as I didnt see anything about HEALTH mentioned or how to improve the QUALITY of the breed mentioned) if you intentions are true, to find a High Quality Female, (with Healthy certificates and championships and all of that history and paperwork of 'Quality') and if Tank is of the similar high quality, with everything to document) then maybe he would be good to breed to improve the bulldog breed itself. If not, and you mate him with an available female, then I anticipate those puppys will have a higher risk of ending up in a shelter, rescue or worse, due to health issues from Back Yard Breeding.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ok @RaRett pretty much hit the nail on the head, a little rough around the edges but still hit it. Please don't take what we say the wrong way as we are not putting Tank down, and saying he is not qualified to breed, as he very well may be a good choice. But please do your home work first and pick the right female. But a reputable breeder who has the female should do the same to make sure they will have a very good quality pup. That being said, it is sad that there are too many people out there that just throw two bullies together and breed them, then you end up with sick or bullies with a lot of health issues.

Most of the time you just get paid a stud fee and that's the end of it. Most reputable breeders will not give a pup away for breeding, unless sometimes show breeders will do this if they have a great male and sometimes will make a deal with the breeder who has the female.

You need to get your boy checked for hips, eyes, and allergies, plus his bloodlines health issues. Most reputable breeders and I'm going by what I do and the other breeders I know will only breed from champion stock or one that is close to having their championship. We want to better the breed and make the best pups we can. If you start showing Tank and he gets some points this will help you meet more people who have females to breed with and it will make him more appealing to someone who wants to breed with him. If he has some flaws that will make him not show quality, then in my opinion he should not be breed. I hope this helps and again please don't take offense to what I said, just trying to better the breed.

Last edited:
OP
amelson19933

amelson19933

Dec 28, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We have kept all of Tanks vet records (vaccinations, health concerns, allergy concerns which Tank has none that we or the vet know of) AKC papers etc. knowing that we would like to breed him in the future. His health is excellent, no allergies, hip problems etc. We spoke with the breeders about his parents when we bought him and they had no outstanding health issues. His mother was from a good bloodline and the father as well. The vet told us that he does look to be from a good blood line and we are going to get his family tree from the AKC site. We have been in touch with the vet about if they know of any bullies with good health and similar traits of Tank. We do see the potential to make money from his puppies but not at the risk of Tank, the female or the puppies. We just want to be sure that we are doing everything in the best interest of the dogs before going any further with it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We have kept all of Tanks vet records (vaccinations, health concerns, allergy concerns which Tank has none that we or the vet know of) AKC papers etc. knowing that we would like to breed him in the future. His health is excellent, no allergies, hip problems etc. We spoke with the breeders about his parents when we bought him and they had no outstanding health issues. His mother was from a good bloodline and the father as well. The vet told us that he does look to be from a good blood line and we are going to get his family tree from the AKC site. We have been in touch with the vet about if they know of any bullies with good health and similar traits of Tank. We do see the potential to make money from his puppies but not at the risk of Tank, the female or the puppies. We just want to be sure that we are doing everything in the best interest of the dogs before going any further with it.

Please read this article on breeding, making money if you are doing it properly does not always happen. Breeding to make money is never a valid reason to breed. Sometimes you do but if you are doing it right and not cutting corners then most of the time you don't make much, and certainly not enough for it to be equal to a decent job for the hours of work put in. IMO breeding for money is doing it for the wrong reason. Finding the correct female and not just breeding with any female is where your true morals lie.

Please read these articles. Breeding English Bulldogs is not to be taken lightly. This is why there is so many unhealthy puppies, because too many people put two bullies together and don't have a CLUE how to raise healthy puppies.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?291-About-Bulldog-Breeding-Learn-What-It-Takes

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?290-English-Bulldog-Breeding-DOs-and-DONTs!

OP
amelson19933

amelson19933

Dec 28, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I don't want anyone to think we're just in it for $$ because we're not. This is why we're trying to get all of the info needed to be sure we go about it the right way and have puppies that are healthy. If its too much for us to handle, we won't do it we just wanted to be sure that we touched all bases before going any further.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I applaud you for trying to do it the right way and finding out what is needed. We have given you some good advise and the articles that [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has told you about are excellent reads. Any more questions that may come up please let us know. We are willing to help.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
sorry I didn't mean to come off so rough, but I'm thankful you posted the question, and that the discussion started, It's a question we always get, when folks see we have a male and female. and, I must admit the thought crossed my mind when we first got Gizmo, until I became informed. again I didn't mean to be so rough, and thanks for you post! Rick, a fellow Dlawarean

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My Usko's breeder wanted to use him as a stud, even after we discovered that he has an effected HUU -gene that causes Hyperuricosuria. We had tested the female and cause she was clear, none of the puppys would be affected. But then we found out that Usko has some mild changes in his spine, that probably will never affect his life, but it's better that he is not bred, cause a puppy could get it worse. A puppy could not get it at all also. But too many things were against breeding, even though he has no allergies, his hips are good, he breaths well and is other wise healthy. It ofcourse broke my heart, cause a wanted a puppy from him, but now we have Voitto, who is just as wonderfull, as any puppy we could ever have.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Ok @RaRett pretty much hit the nail on the head, a little rough around the edges but still hit it. Please don't take what we say the wrong way as we are not putting Tank down, and saying he is not qualified to breed, as he very well may be a good choice. But please do your home work first and pick the right female. But a reputable breeder who has the female should do the same to make sure they will have a very good quality pup. That being said, it is sad that there are too many people out there that just throw two bullies together and breed them, then you end up with sick or bullies with a lot of health issues.

Most of the time you just get paid a stud fee and that's the end of it. Most reputable breeders will not give a pup away for breeding, unless sometimes show breeders will do this if they have a great male and sometimes will make a deal with the breeder who has the female.

You need to get your boy checked for hips, eyes, and allergies, plus his bloodlines health issues. Most reputable breeders and I'm going by what I do and the other breeders I know will only breed from champion stock or one that is close to having their championship. We want to better the breed and make the best pups we can. If you start showing Tank and he gets some points this will help you meet more people who have females to breed with and it will make him more appealing to someone who wants to breed with him. If he has some flaws that will make him not show quality, then in my opinion he should not be breed. I hope this helps and again please don't take offense to what I said, just trying to better the breed.

i am very curious to have all the health information about zeus.. i am not interested at all in breeding, i dont have it in me... but for my personal use how do i go about getting all that info. I know i can get some from his vet but i see many other things being mentioned and i just want to know and make sure my baby is as healthy as he appears. :).zeus seems really healthy we have never had any allergy issues but i would like to know if theres anything that i should be looking out for... sorry im still getting use to the page..i just posted this comment and it came out all weird. so ignore my previous that i tried to fix and ended up deleting almost all of it...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ZuesCsmommy you can start with the breeder you bought him from and ask about the sire and dam. If they used someone else's stud for the sire then contact that breeder and ask about him. Then just go down the pedigree list as far as you want to go.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=7530]amelson19933[/MENTION] First please allow me to say: I'm sorry I'm late in posting to this thread, I was on vacation and didn't have much internet service. Perhaps the ghosts of Gettysburg didn't like us communication that way?

Second please allow me to say: I *commend* you for asking the tough questions you have about breeding, rather than being Nike and "Just doing it"! However, with those questions, as you've (hopefully read) comes tough questions and sad stories. Your boy is only 1 year old so to judge his health right now I think is a mistake. Mona didn't start having idiopathic head tremors until she was around 2, 2 1/2. I did all the research I could on EB's before we bought her and had never come across anything about IHT. Mona comes from champion bloodlines, who'd have thunk this could've happened?

Third. Please continue to do more research as others have suggested. This isn't an easy process for the boys or the girls and frankly, I think breeding of *ANY* dog (or cat) should be left to the experts who know what they are doing and learned from someone who had way more years of experience than they did. All of this is just words on a screen and meaningless unless you decide to weed through it and take our advise, which I'm sure you will, as you didn't come on here to ask tough questions to "hear yourself think".

Good Luck. Please keep us posted.

OP
amelson19933

amelson19933

Dec 28, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Our vet did say to wait until he was mature enough to start. At least 2 years old. He said that any age under that he would not produce the best "seed" and puppies may come out with deformities or health problems. Like I said, we just want to see what all of this entails before we decide on going through with it or not. Out vet tech who has been with us since the start and a former bully owner turned us on to the idea because of Tanks colors, markings and features he thought he would make beautiful puppies with the right female. He had told us if we did decide, himself and other members of the vets office would be interested in his puppies (so I know they would be going to capable, loving hands) there aren't many bulldogs in our neck of the woods so Tank is the star of the vets office and is was a regular there for awhile. Since bullies are a vets money maker lol

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Amelson, which Vet do you use here in Delaware ? Thanks ! :)

Most Reactions