Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Want to breed need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    @ZuesCsmommy you can start with the breeder you bought him from and ask about the sire and dam. If they used someone else's stud for the sire then contact that breeder and ask about him. Then just go down the pedigree list as far as you want to go.
    thank you for the info... i will check that out..

Real Name
    Anna
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Our vet did say to wait until he was mature enough to start. At least 2 years old. He said that any age under that he would not produce the best "seed" and puppies may come out with deformities or health problems. Like I said, we just want to see what all of this entails before we decide on going through with it or not. Out vet tech who has been with us since the start and a former bully owner turned us on to the idea because of Tanks colors, markings and features he thought he would make beautiful puppies with the right female. He had told us if we did decide, himself and other members of the vets office would be interested in his puppies (so I know they would be going to capable, loving hands) there aren't many bulldogs in our neck of the woods so Tank is the star of the vets office and is was a regular there for awhile. Since bullies are a vets money maker lol

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Amelson, which Vet do you use here in Delaware ? Thanks !

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

Asking questions about how to breed is a good way to start. Too often there is little help among breed owners that are not judgmental. If you don't know, how do you find out? Be sure you read all of the comments. Also go to the breeders section for connecting with breeders.

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

Im just curious.........how did the "experts" get to be so good at what they do for breeding? Who taught them? Who helped them?

There are lots of bad breeders all over. Even those who are "experts" in breeding are bad breeders. Far too many puppies available for a cheap price. End up neglected or in foster or rescue.

Educating about the breed and about breeding should not be meant to stop new breeders from being a part of the process. I answer anyone's question about the breed or breeding. Kinda like learning the birds and bees the right way or the wrong way.

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Real Name
    Anna
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    We go to Seaford Animal Hospital. They are great! A little bit pricier than other vets in the area but worth the few extra bucks. Tank is the star of the vets office when we go in. We always have the same tech and they know us by name. They help all that they can and give really good advice, they just didn't know too much about breeding.

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

@ABEBD in regards to your question about how the "Experts" got their start...as I was saying in my post awhile back, an expert breeder has to find someone who's been through the school of hard knocks and worked with others to learn. Research and a good vet helps, too. Someone who is going to encompass their world with learning about the breed and breed to better the dogs, not to make money. Especially and I mean especially, with bulldogs because they don't reproduce the "normal" way and they don't give birth the normal way, either. This is a very complicated procedure here - therefore knowledge, experience and a level head are needed. As well as great experts to be in your corner.
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amelson19933 View Post
    We're planning on breeding Tank once he is ready. He is 1 yr old and I'm just not sure when the right age is to start and normal breeding practices. I did hear that we can charge stud service and get pick of the litter. Just not sure of all the steps required in this whole ordeal, and the vet wasn't much help. Kinda looking for start to finish help if possible. Thanks!
    As someone who has adopted a bulldog who was bred repeatedly by a "reputable breeder," I have very strong opinions about this. A very good breeder of these dogs said that she never breeds a bitch until she's at least 4 years old. Mabel was bred several times before she turned 4. With her health problems she NEVER should have been bred. I think the caution you are seeing on this thread is because of the many, many stories these members have heard about dogs that are dumped because of health problems, who were bred by "reputable breeders." A lot of people breed these dogs to make money, with no regard for the quality of the dogs they are reproducing. Many good breeders will insist that the dog is shown to championship status and will want to see a pedigree and written medical health screenings (heart, hips, eyes, etc)--not just anecdotal "evidence" of the dog's health. I hear and read all the time about puppies being sent home with their new people parents at 4 or 6 weeks! I would avoid these breeders like the plague! Ultimately the decision is yours, but just beware.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    You need to get your boy checked for hips, eyes, and allergies, plus his bloodlines health issues. Most reputable breeders and I'm going by what I do and the other breeders I know will only breed from champion stock or one that is close to having their championship. We want to better the breed and make the best pups we can. If you start showing Tank and he gets some points this will help you meet more people who have females to breed with and it will make him more appealing to someone who wants to breed with him. If he has some flaws that will make him not show quality, then in my opinion he should not be breed. I hope this helps and again please don't take offense to what I said, just trying to better the breed.
    And this, dear David, is why you are on my short list if I decide to get a puppy from a breeder! I hope I can make your cut if we decide to do this in the future!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteelapd View Post
    @amelson19933 Third. Please continue to do more research as others have suggested. This isn't an easy process for the boys or the girls and frankly, I think breeding of *ANY* dog (or cat) should be left to the experts who know what they are doing and learned from someone who had way more years of experience than they did.

Good Luck. Please keep us posted.
    I don't know a thing about breeding and won't ever comment one way or another on the dos and do nots, but I can tell you, all those experts at one time were a total novice. A noob. We all gotta start off somewhere. All you can really do is a) put the dogs first b) do as much research as you possibly can.

Good Luck!!!!

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    Wait, someone ELSE from Delaware?!

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

@ModernFemme Yes, I understand that anyone wanting to start anything new is a novice at first. That's why you surround yourself with people who have been there/done that in order to have the support you need to guide you through the ups and downs. (I thought I said that after the post you quoted, but perhaps my memory is going, going, gone?)
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads