Breeders in denial

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Did you have a signed contract?

Seek legal advise.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so very sorry for your loss... Theo knew you loved him and he will always be with you

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad Theo had a very loving family.

This site taught me what outstanding breeders should do for their pups and their families.

May the lesson in your experience enlighten those who are looking for a bully. :hug:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sorry, but I have to get back to this and wonder if I understand correctly this sentence... "Come to find out he had a congenitive defect and his body did not produce the enzymes needed to break down the urate acid that produce bladder stones." If your bully had the same defect as mine has your vet is to blame more than the breeder. Most Dalmatians have this defected gene and live long lifes. It can be managed with the right kind of food and monitoring/regulating of urine pH. I'm truly sorry that this has happened to you and the breeder should have those dogs tested for HUU/Hyperuricosuria. Both of the bullys are at least carriers of that gene, cause otherwise you don't get an affected puppy.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
What a heartbreaking time to go through. I am so very sorry for your loss of Theo. He was so so cute. The breeder should have at least taken some responsibility if only to recognize they have an issue in their bloodline. You did the right thing by letting Theo go to forever be young and now healthy to play with all the others over at Rainbow Bridge. Big :hug: :hug: to you and your family.

Michelle82877

May 9, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Theo
Theo was on a special diet and was being monitored. I think from your post you stated your surgery worked...Theo's unfortunately didn't. I also think you missed the point of the breeder denying there was an issue in their bloodline. Trust me when I tell you I would have gone broke to keep that boy here but not at the expensive of him being in constant pain......thanks Theo's mom who misses him very much :(

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,
I know how sad it must have been to make that decision. The hardest part about any life is to know when is the right time to make that decision. As guardians of our animals, we owe it to them to make every decision that we can to the best that we can.
HUU is still relatively new. There are tests that can detect it now and for a low cost. It will take many many years for even a fraction of breeders to start to test their breeding stock.

I wonder about the first surgery that you had? Was it 10K just for the first surgery to remove the stones? Bulldogs along with several other breeds are highly likely to get stones and crystals. There are several different types. Did you find out what type they were when the first surgery was done?

That breeder was wrong to imply that you did it because you didnt have or want to pay that much money. Obviously you did. However, not the hate mail will start, at what point is the decision made for the quality of life for the dog? Would a life time of pain be worth any money? And how much money is enough to be able to afford to keep paying?

I know we all love our dogs. And we would try and do as much as we could to help them, save them, keep them alive.

Consider the breeder as making a honest decision about which puppies to cull. Cattle, sheep and livestock breeders have to make decisions all the time. If they spent the money to save the puppy.....then what? Who would want a defective dog? Look at how many dog in any breed rescue that are waiting to be place in a new home. I work with 2 rescue programs that have dogs for up to 6 months to try and find a home.

I am very sad to hear about your loss. I have had puppies die in my hands. I have lost many dogs over the years. It is never easy. I cry even when I read about other people dogs.

Good day~

Mary Grace

Jul 23, 2013
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm just horrified that the person even considers themselves breeders. They should be allowed to get away with it. Maybe after some of your grief wears off you can take some kind of action to get them to see that they are totally wrong in their handling of this situation. ((HUGS)) My heart breaks for you and your loss.

Tysonbully

Sep 8, 2013
Rome, NY
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
So very sorry for your loss. You did the right thing in relieving his pain and hopefully that brings you some comfort. As far as the breeder, I would pursue legal action if this is something genetic. They had to know. Hopefully your passion for justice will prevail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Very sorry for your loss,I've been of this forum for a couple of years due to our experience,our Annie was only 18 months old when we had to put her to sleep,she had terrible allergies which on the whole we managed,but when get breathing became compromised we gad no choice but to say good bye,her breeder is an international judge and has been breeding for 40 yrs,when I told the breeder of Annie's problems her answer was" breed her then her allergies will go" !!!,so with that mentality it's little wonder there are so many sick dogs around

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
This is sad and just not right at all. They should not be breeding and you should be blasting them all over the internet. If they are AKC breeders you really should report this to them and have them investigated.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
This story makes me sad.

By now, I hope you have another pup and are loving him/her so much! ♥

shmantz

Nov 4, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fred and Ethel
Wow, that was horrible... I am so happy that I found an awesome breeder in NJ... When my little guy got a cherry eye, she took him to her vet and took care of it for me - paid for everything... this was one of her babies and she felt that she should take care of it.... I bought another dog from her a few months later too! We took both pups to the vet and they picked something up there, they both got pretty sick - I have another dog at home too... she gave me medicine for the other 2 and took care of them..... Maybe you should have contacted them right from the start - some breeders think that NOHTING could ever be wrong with their dogs... but you know what, bulldogs get everything.... They are so wrong with what they did to you.... I could never bring back a dog after purchasing it (they are part of the family).... I am so sorry you had to go through this....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.