Show training tips

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I am thinking of entering Ella into perhaps a puppy show and or some fun matches over labor day week end. Not really to win, but just for the fun of it, and perhaps as practice for me, maybe later on getting a show puppy lol ;)
But I was wondering how to train her to stand and all that. It's been years and years since I was really into showing. I used to have a little spiral note book that I would write down notes and tips and pointers. I wanted to be a JR handler so badly, but we just didnt have the money for it, and then other things happend.
But any ways, I'm kind of interested in it again, but not sure where or how to start :blink: I had my sis take some pics of Ella as I tried to bait her into the closest thing I could get her to do resembling a show stance lol Let me know what you think, any tips, and what ever else lol I did get a hold of the local kennel club, and the contact just happens to raise EB, so I will let you know how that goes lol
04-26-13 (105).jpg04-26-13 (110).jpg04-26-13 (119).jpg

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I am thinking of entering Ella into perhaps a puppy show and or some fun matches over labor day week end. Not really to win, but just for the fun of it, and perhaps as practice for me, maybe later on getting a show puppy lol ;)
But I was wondering how to train her to stand and all that. It's been years and years since I was really into showing. I used to have a little spiral note book that I would write down notes and tips and pointers. I wanted to be a JR handler so badly, but we just didnt have the money for it, and then other things happend.
But any ways, I'm kind of interested in it again, but not sure where or how to start :blink: I had my sis take some pics of Ella as I tried to bait her into the closest thing I could get her to do resembling a show stance lol Let me know what you think, any tips, and what ever else lol I did get a hold of the local kennel club, and the contact just happens to raise EB, so I will let you know how that goes lol
View attachment 42256View attachment 42257View attachment 42258

I sent you a private message

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=3281]BiggieSmalls[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
She looks good to me and has really nice angulation in her back legs. As for the stance it's good to have a mirror so you can see your self how she is standing.

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Ok. I will have to grab one of mine from my moms lol I was trying to find videos on how to teach a EB to show, but can't find any lol
How do you teach them to stack, what about opening their mouths? Ella hates this since I'm usually taking some jowl treasure she has hidden away, or tried to lol

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Praise and reward...open mouth...treat...open mouth....treat. My older boy is sentive by nature and I had to teach him with only praise and treats. My younger is a hard head and needs some cursing and then treats and praise.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She is a beauty and stands nice. She may do well in the ring. I would take her to local show and let others who show look at her. They can tell you where you can take some confirmation classes which will help you and her. Showing is fun and can be rewarding. Let us know how it goes. You never know until you try.

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie Smalls, Jack, Chubby, Doris, Molly, Jackie, Cloé, Maya, Mathilda, Becky
the secret is practice, practice, practice. Its very helpful to practice in front of a mirror but often, handlers will give classes at local dog training centers and that can help alot as well. good luck with your pretty pup!

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys =)
I am still waiting for the local kennel club contacts to get a hold of me lol It's a very small kennel club, and they only have one show a year, and that's during labor day weekend. I love it. I met an EB last year named George. He was my first one lol I had loved them for many many years, but had never met one in person. My sister is hoping to show her Bull Terrier, but the breeder isnt sure since he has been burned badly before =( Keep your fingers crossed for her lol

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Lots of great advice. When I decided to start showing I joined a local bulldog club. I got to know the members and started going to shows to watch. I also asked about taking training classes both for ME and my dog. My dog learned much faster than I did so I needed more practice. But I kept taking classes from a trainer and handler who has been involved for over 40 years.

While watching yourself might be good, having a trainer/handler is better.
Good Day!~ Don't give up. The fun is worth it.

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I wrote to the local kennel club a while ago, but have yet to receive a reply. The person to contact is a EB breeder, but other then that the closest EB club is in Grand Rapids or Detroit, both a few hundred miles away. We are kind of isolated up here.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.