ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I went to an English bulldog specialty last weekend in Kalamazoo. I met so many nice people and saw so many great dogs. I was surprised by all the different types I saw--some with longer tails, some larger heads, some with minimal wrinkle, etc. I sat with a breeder from Illinois who explained a lot about showing these guys. I may have to do this with our next dog! I saw a lot of owner handlers.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Sounds like you had a good experience. Yep they do come in all shapes and sizes. If you are serious about showing, you should check out the standards from the AKC site or the BCA for more info.

glad you had a good time and met lots of nice people, bully peeps are very sharing

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Showing bullies can be a fun time for you and your bully, but it can be political. It's a great way to meet other bully owners and make some friends.

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], that's why I quit showing my bullmastiff. I'm not sure I'll want to do that again, but think that it would be fun to show a dog that requires no running! I heard from one of the breeders that it's hard on the knees to show bulldogs, though.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ya, it can be.

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
How do you pick the right Bully to show if they can all look so different?
You have to do your homework. Check the breed standard. Get to know the breeders and their dogs. It took me two years to bet the bullmastiff I showed, but the wait was worth it!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

The BCA has a great resource for looking at what the standard is suppose to be. However, the judge in the ring has to pick from the dogs that are presented at the time. Which means, that many times the dogs or bitches that win, do not exactly fit the standard. If you are only looking at the titles (CH, BOB, BOS, etc.) of a breeders dogs, this could be very misleading. LOOK at the dogs, look at the puppies and compare to what the standard is suppose to be. How many EBD's have a wheelback any more? The popular look is what breeders are breeding for and of course what sells.

Showing your dog can be lots of fun. Find a handler and a trainer to take lessons for you and your dog. You will find your dog learns faster than you do. Go and watch as many dog shows as you can to see how the handlers enter, move, stand, show, present, etc.

You will also need to have thick skin. Just because your dog doesn't win, be gracious and polite. Learn WHY the judge did not pick your dog. Talk with others and be wiling to accept criticism about your dog and yourself.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.