did you teach your dogs to sit

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I'm new to all of this and trying to figure it all out. I've found a class we will attend ( once I have a puppy) . I've read different opinions teaching sit or not to teach the sit command to a dog you plan to show. I guess the idea is you dont want them to sit in the ring. Others say teach it , but also teach a stand command. What do you do?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not sure about a show dog, or what the rules are for showing your dog, but I did teach my two the sit command, using treats.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It doesn't really matter, because once they learn what to do in the ring it's not a problem, because your not going to give the "sit" command in the ring. :2thumbs:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Can't help with show dogs, but teaching sit was very important in our house. I put my dogs in a sit before everything they do. Before they're food gets put down, they sit. Before I throw a ball/toy they sit. Before the door to go out opens they sit. But have no idea if your showing them.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Thanks everyone. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] there is sooo much to learn I almost feel lost. Just chosing a show lead ( what type ect. ) is almost overwhelming. Am I just over thinking all of this?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] the best way is to just go to shows and talk to people who show and see what they use and get their opinions.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I plan on going to a local speciality show next week. Ive been to shows before but at that point I didn't think I would be involved for many years ....if ever.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We taught all our dogs to sit. David is right. they learn what to do in the ring. I showed my male bullmastiff for several years. As long as I remembered that I was having fun, Norton did too. When it got serious we both lost interest! I may someday go back in the ring with a bulldog. I had to run too much with Norton! I will never forget when he decided to "sing" the National Anthem with a particularly bad soloist before a show in Little Rock one year. He had every dog in the place howling!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 113

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Thanks everyone. @Davidh there is sooo much to learn I almost feel lost. Just chosing a show lead ( what type ect. ) is almost overwhelming. Am I just over thinking all of this?

two of mine where show candidates for their breeder and I wasn't suppose to teach them the "sit" command but was asked to teach them the command "stand" and the "stand stay" command so that they new that very well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.