JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
To my surprise this turned out to be quite normal in many contracts, regardless of what the price was. If you can't agree to the contract that unfortunately you'll have to move on and find another breeder and bully. Wilson's contract was pretty open, I could stud him out if I choose (he's neutered now) and Emma's contract I had to have her spayed by a year's age. She was spayed at 8 months, give or take. If it had to guess, it's probably a norm in many breeds?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I wanted to add too that since it wasn't my thing to share my dog (bully and any other) with breeder that kept me away from any contract where they had that stipulation or a show stipulation. No thanks, my bully/dog is mine - no one elses!! Period.

M

mabel lou

My girl is from a sire and dam who show and the contract that i signed for her was that if i wanted to breed i could not breed until she was 2 yrs old and that i was only able to breed her twice. I agreed. Now before signing a contract she ask me if i would look into confirmation classes because she wanted to initially keep her for showing. Now as time went on with our new friendship i began learning about what it would take to have a show quality dog. I was very excited to know that she felt my girl had possibilities of show qualities. I was still at that time very interested in learning more about a show dog. I went to a show and it was an awesome experience for me and shortly after that it was time for me to get my puppy. I was so excited to finally get her. I talked for awhile with her and i have to say i enjoyed our conversation. She made it very clear to me that my girl is not ever to be bred if I should decide to breed her until she is 2yrs of age and she went on to say why she felt that way. She also told me that 2x is the max and that is it! I had spoke with her numerous times so we had already went over this and much more in regards to the breed. I also would return my dog to her if for any reason i am unable to care for her any longer, which i have no problem with that one either because she is a good person who genuinely loves her dogs. This was not my first EBD, but this was my first puppy from a sire and dam who show. Bottom line was this, i signed a contract but on the contract it had one more clause that she should receive a puppy back out of each litter if she is bred and it takes. Now this one was never talked about but it was ok and my girl already has a male who shows lined up for her if I should ever decide to breed her. Today both the breeder and I are friends outside of my purchasing a puppy from her. I am so happy with my girl still and the breeder still talks to me about possibly taking Mabel to confirmation classes to get her prepared for showing. I laugh because i think about how they will touch her and she will do silly stuff like she does for me when i am messing around with her so needless to say the only show ring she will go into is my show ring where i think she does awesome. I waited a long time for my girl and I don't have any regrets either about signing a contract. She was definitely well worth the exteme amount of money i paid for her. Best purchase of an EBD out of any EBD I have ever purchased and certainly the most expensive one i have ever paid for as well. But at the end of the day she is the healthiest one as well. I love my girl Mabel.She is the reason I believe healthy EBD do exist.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
To my surprise this turned out to be quite normal in many contracts, regardless of what the price was. If you can't agree to the contract that unfortunately you'll have to move on and find another breeder and bully. Wilson's contract was pretty open, I could stud him out if I choose (he's neutered now) and Emma's contract I had to have her spayed by a year's age. She was spayed at 8 months, give or take. If it had to guess, it's probably a norm in many breeds?

This should not be normal in a pet quality contract. And yes, it is normal in any breed of dog that is a show dog. Reputable and ethical whatever-poo (non-standard breeds) breeders do this too even if they're not for show because they're still trying to improve the line and establish consistent characteristics.

Any dog organization will tell you, NOBODY should breed a dog unless the intent is to improve the line. It doesn't matter what breed it is.

There is a breeder that is trying to improve the English Bulldog line. He calls his line of Bulldogs Amitola. But, due to the improvements he is making, the dog ends up not fitting AKC standards and will not qualify for show. But, I got really interested in this because, let's face it - the AKC standard bulldog is an unhealthy dog. So, the breeder's goal is to eventually convince the AKC that his line of bulldogs is a healthier dog and should replace the current AKC breed standard. As far as I know, he only sells his puppies with a breeder option if he gets a say in the breeding program. And he has a puppy buy back clause so he can continually improve his line.

This is the purpose of these things. Any other purpose is scummy in my opinion.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Pive been dealing with various contract issues in my search for a new show prospect. If you are buying a pet and this breeder doesnt show their dogs ...RUN . Im not kidding this is a red flag to me it seems like a way to make more money. I've talked to some of the top winning bredders in the country and most of them didnt even ask this of me and I certainly wouldn't have agreed. What i chose to do or not do with my dog is a choice I will make and will always be in the best interest of my dog period. FOR 2000 a pet puppy usually isn't sold on this kind of contract at least where I'm from anyway.

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
We do contracts for all of our puppies, but it has nothing to do with breeding rights, etc. The contract states the expectations we have for the buyer, as well as what they can expect from us/our puppies. It's just the general care and maintenance and 'regular' information. However, we have a bulldog breeder here in town who does the same thing you are talking about. Her bulldogs are not show dogs but there are champion bloodlines in her breeding stock. She will not provide papers to you unless you sign a spay/neuter contract and bring her proof of the spay/neuter having taken place. She also does the 'puppy back' scenario. I understand, to a point, where she's coming from because she doesn't want her 'line' being 'contaminated' because she says she has worked for approx. 20 years to get her own line going. What I do have a problem with is selling puppies for such a high price and promising (signing a contract) that they will not be used for breeding purposes...this is especially true when the the puppy does not even have show quality potential. This is a tough situation, as is the thought of unintentionally selling a puppy that will grow up to be bred to death; that is what scares me. We ended up with a solid white female with our recent litter of 3. I am scared to sell her without a spay/neuter contract. We, so far, have decided that we're going to keep her to avoid this situation all together. However, we can't keep a puppy from every litter ;-)

$2000 sounds about right for our area, too. That goes for AKC, NKC and CKC alike. Sometimes they're more or less, depending on the lines.

Staff online

Members online