Breeder rules

Iselaal5

Jan 16, 2013
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
I am looking for a male puppy, finally found a reputable breeder, but she has some extreme rules and I am not sure if its normal or if she is just trying to be too smart for me..lol well she is selling the puppy for 2,000 which is for me an okk price not too cheap not to expensive but she either wants to keep stud rights or if I decided to breed the dog I have to
give her one of the puppies in my litter, please I would like to
hear your thoughts before I sign any contract, yes I said contract she makes all of her customer sign contracts...smh I am so bummed cus I really want the puppy but can't agree with her rules..thanks :cursing:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with breeders, and am anew bulldog mom, so not much help, but someone will be by soon to help you.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Sounds like crap to me! I have heard of this before but very few and far between but If you are not comfortable with that then don't sign! I think contracts are more common that giving a puppy to the breeder but still contracts are rare.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
This is common only in the show quality breeding programs. Usually, a "puppy back" agreement comes with a "show" agreement that the owner of the puppy will have to enter the dog in AKC dog shows for a certain period of time. If the dog grows up to be a pet quality dog only (you can't predict if a puppy will grow up to be show quality) then it is required that the dog be neutered/spayed so the "puppy back" does not apply. This usually also comes with the breeder becoming a co-owner of the puppy so that the breeder has to approve any breeding that the owner engages the dog in.

This is not common (as far as I know) in pet quality breeding. So, if your puppy's parents are not show dogs, the breeder is basically saying your puppy actually costs $4,000 but I'll take $2,000 and a puppy for payment.

Like with anything else, the seller controls the terms of the sales contract. As a buyer, you either agree, try to negotiate, or walk away. The stupidity of the sales contract does not make it invalid unless it's illegal, then you can report it to the proper authorities.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
[SUB]Wow. We signed a contract when we purchased Winston, but it had nothing to do with Breeding rights or return of a puppy from litters. Since her contract is online, I copied and pasted the relevant paragraph here. Plus the really cool one below it.
[/SUB]

BREEDER will grant all its dogs with full breeding rights unless otherwise specified. If the dog is unable to breed for any reason BREEDER is not responsible and cannot guarantee the fertility of a male or female puppy. A show quality puppy is sold as such based on buyers best judgment at the time of sale. The puppy sold is guarantee to be from show quality stock as supported by the pedigree, but BREEDER cannot guarantee the continued development of the individual Puppy's show potential.

I understand that this puppy can NEVER be turned in at a shelter, rescue organization or unqualified home and if circumstances require a new home for my puppy, buyer will contact Seller so Seller can provide assistance in finding a secure and safe home.

If the breeder you want to get your puppy from can't give you full breeding rights after some hard negotiating, then as sweet as that little puppy is, I think you ought to get a different breeder. :(

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Like @anates said this is quite normal with show quality dogs. We did buy Usko with a contract that he would father his first litter for his breeder. Well, that never will happen, but that is a different story. We got him a little bit cheaper than without that contract. It is even more common with bitches. Voitto is show quality too, but there's only an understanding that the breeder can use him if she want's to. But then we get the normal stud fees.

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
[SUB]Wow. We signed a contract when we purchased Winston, but it had nothing to do with Breeding rights or return of a puppy from litters. Since her contract is online, I copied and pasted the relevant paragraph here. Plus the really cool one below it.
[/SUB]

If the breeder you want to get your puppy from can't give you full breeding rights after some hard negotiating, then as sweet as that little puppy is, I think you ought to get a different breeder. :(

I respectfully disagree. Not everyone should be breeding their dogs. In fact, most people shouldn't. And a breeder that wants to ensure that their dogs aren't used for such purposes is, in my opinion, being responsible.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I could understand if it was a show puppy and that was the plan but if he is just a pet or you want to use him as breeding yourself but not show then I would talk to the breeder about it and if she couldnt comply them find another breeder! Never put yourself in a situation that you are not comfortable being in.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
This is common only in the show quality breeding programs. Usually, a "puppy back" agreement comes with a "show" agreement that the owner of the puppy will have to enter the dog in AKC dog shows for a certain period of time. If the dog grows up to be a pet quality dog only (you can't predict if a puppy will grow up to be show quality) then it is required that the dog be neutered/spayed so the "puppy back" does not apply. This usually also comes with the breeder becoming a co-owner of the puppy so that the breeder has to approve any breeding that the owner engages the dog in.

This is not common (as far as I know) in pet quality breeding. So, if your puppy's parents are not show dogs, the breeder is basically saying your puppy actually costs $4,000 but I'll take $2,000 and a puppy for payment.

Like with anything else, the seller controls the terms of the sales contract. As a buyer, you either agree, try to negotiate, or walk away. The stupidity of the sales contract does not make it invalid unless it's illegal, then you can report it to the proper authorities.

Totally agree. I found a couple breeders that had similar stipulations. They were both show homes that had 100% euro import sire and dame. I too was looking for a male and I had to sign a contract with two options 1) $2500 full akc registration. I had to give 50% of all stud fees to breeder. 2) $3500 full akc I had to allow breeder to breed back any of her females at any time. I would receive no stud fee and breeder would pay extraction and shipping costs. Even though these were amazing lines that were not yet present in the US, thus the reason she wanted to breed back her females. I opted to go another direction simply because it seemed like the whole set up would have been annoying.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Tell the breeder, that you are interested in the puppy, AND are planning to Spay/Neuter so that breeding isnt an option, nor a concern, and see what they say. $2000 seems on the 'low' side of puppy prices here atleast on the east coast.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Where I live in Utah $2000 seems high! Here they are $1500 to $1700 the high would be $2000 and that would be for rare colors or show.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some breeders will do this with show quality bullies. On some of our show quality bullies we will ask for the right to show them and will have some type of breeding agreement. But on non show quality bullies, in my opinion should not be breed. So I would talk to the breeder, because no breeder I know of will sell a show quality bully for that little amount.

OP
I

Iselaal5

Jan 16, 2013
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
Thank you all for your help, I think I will keep looking and see how other breeders work around here, I got my first bulldog akc full rights so this for me was a surprise and kind of a schock lol :nope:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
When the litter is registered , the breeder owns the pup and already has the pups paper in their hands. When the pup is sold and signed over to the new owner with the AKC papers and Health Guarantee , there's a place to check off on the AKC registration for breeding rights or no breeding rights. I have that in my contract so the buyer understands the stipulation of their right and mine. This is a copy that I have them sign and keep on my AKC records.

There's also a Vet health certificate I would provide and a Guarantee for one year that the puppy will not develop heart, hip or knee, problems , providing the new owner take the pup to their vet within the first three days of picking up the pup. It's all good. If you don't want to breed the dog it shouldn't be a problem. If you want to breed the dog you should talk it over with the breeder. I hope this is explained clear enough. It's to protect the dog from becoming a puppy mill dog.

Most Reactions